• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen Decision to Make

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
....... on quite possibly the most ridiculous little board ever in the X570 Phantom ITX board............this little thing uses Intel 115x mounts instead of AMx!!!!! WTH?!!!!! :rofl:

Saw that elsewhere. Kinda makes some sense, if the Intel 115x mounting saves them space relative to AM4 mount, that they can use for other things. My only concern was are 115x and AM4 CPUs the same height above the mobo?

It wasn't about space, but more of a compatibility thing. There are more heatsinks compatible with Intel 115x mounting than with AMx....

.... at least that is what Tom's says anyway.

You're probably asking yourself why ASRock would make this choice because this is a weird thing to implement on an AMD board where you would expect people to use AM4-compatible coolers like AMD's stock Wraith coolers. ASRock's list of compatible CPU coolers is mostly made up of coolers that have AM4 brackets, which makes this decision seem nonsensical. However, on that very same list, there are CPU coolers that don't support AM4, and most of these coolers are low profile, designed specifically for mini-ITX.

Although it's been two years since Ryzen came out and AMD brought competition back, AMD still doesn't quite have the presence Intel has on the motherboard side (though this is clearly changing), and this is especially the case on niche platforms like mini-ITX. Many of the mini-ITX-oriented coolers on the market only support Intel's current mounting mechanism, so if you want a really good low-profile cooler for your Ryzen 3000 CPU, your options are limited on AM4 sockets. By switching to LGA 1151 (which is also compatible with older coolers for older sockets), ASRock has improved the cooler availability for these CPUs.

Regarding mounting height... no idea. The mount for the H150i when used on this board doesn't quite seem to fit exactly. In that normally when you mount an intel cooler the threads to mount the block to are sticking up through by 1/4". Here they are barely above the surface. So it seems if anything, the AMD CPU is taller comparitively which makes adequete mounting pressure not an issue.

... Manual overclocking helps to drop temps a bit and overclock in the same time. With Fuma 2 cooler I was able to set 4.3GHz 1.37V on 3700X and it was slightly below 95°C. That's max temp so for gaming etc. it would be more like ~75°C max.

Have you tried negative vcore offset with otherwise stock settings? It seems like the habit of using too much vcore persists to the new generations.

@EarthDog, it will be interesting to see how it performs. With that heat pipe, I wonder if the VRM can handle a 3950X.

@mackerel, very strange that you're not stable at stock settings. I wonder if there is something else going on. It shouldn't be a power delivery issue since you're actually moving to a lower TDP CPU. But you could take a look and see what it's drawing.

@mackerel, very strange that you're not stable at stock settings. I wonder if there is something else going on. It shouldn't be a power delivery issue since you're actually moving to a lower TDP CPU. But you could take a look and see what it's drawing.
My gut feeling is still it is thermally limited, but I'll need to get more evidence to either prove or disprove this e.g. by repeating this on other systems. My 2nd guess is that there may be some unknown software problem with the Prime95 code when run on Zen 2.

Back