• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen DRAM Calculator and ram type

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Been trying to find an answer for this, but haven't found any so far.

In Ryzen DRAM Calculator, you have to choose a memory type based on what's reported for the model of ram chips one has. However, I am not sure sure what type I have as the model number of the ram chip includes 2 different letters.

I have Micro MT40A1G8SA-075:E type ram chips.

Ryzen DRAM Calculator allows me to choose Micron A-die, or Micron E/H die for type. (There is also Micron B and D, but I'm assuming I have either A or E because it's there in the model number.) Any idea which die type I have exactly? :confused:

[Edit] Can a mod move this to the Memory sub-forum? Didn't realize I should have posted this there first. [/Edit]

I assume it's E too, but other examples I've found (not of Micron) show the user referring to the first part of the model number before the dash, which happens to contain the letter pertaining to their memory type, even if the part after the dash contains a letter of a different type. Their models though, one could easily find the exact type via a simple search even if the letter type was not in the model number itself.

I just want to be sure as the values returned by the DRAM Calculator are different depending on the type chosen.

Try them both starting with the e timings. As long as you have your os backed up you cant hurt anything ;)

Try them both starting with the e timings. As long as you have your os backed up you cant hurt anything ;)

Although I don't mind overclocking, I tend to go for safe overclocks, I'm the set it and forget it type. I try to research as much as I can, try to get a sense of what others with the same hardware were capable of achieving, apply the same settings, and be done with it. I hate having my system down just for stability testing, and with 64GiB of ram, I would be looking somewhere in the neighborhood of 24hrs+ just for a basic MemTest run. If I could know exactly what chips I have to set in the calculator, it would save me alot of time for testing, as I plan on just using the Safe settings and be done with it.

Have you tried using Thaiphoon Burner to see if it will read the IC?

It's what I used to get the model number for my memory, but it doesn't report what what type (revision?) of actual memory silicon is there.

It's what I used to get the model number for my memory, but it doesn't report what what type (revision?) of actual memory silicon is there.

Can you post a screenshot? The information you need should be there.

Also don't think you really need the calculator for 3000 series or even 2000 and 1000 series with updated BIOS. I would just set primary timings and let the board do the rest. Or are you already having problems with an overclock? If so, what are you trying to do and with what kit?

Can you post a screenshot? The information you need should be there.

Also don't think you really need the calculator for 3000 series or even 2000 and 1000 series with updated BIOS. I would just set primary timings and let the board do the rest. Or are you already having problems with an overclock? If so, what are you trying to do and with what kit?

The XMP profile should work, but from what I've been reading, the Ryzen 3000 series (and x570 chips? not really sure about that) can benefit from properly set timings on the ram. 3200 ram can equal the performance of 3600 ram just from adjusting the timings, but you're talking about some serious time spent tweaking every timing available. I'm not looking to go through that, however, the other benefit that seems to come is less BSOD (more stable ram?) from tweaked timings. Seems like even XMP profiles may not be the "correct" timings for a stable system in regards to 3000 series. I have experienced some BSODs already and have somewhat narrowed it down to video driver issues (nothing I can do except wait for updates that fix it), and ram timing. A number of posts and threads I've read seem to indicate that adjusting timings on the ram seem to stop certain BSODs from happening, just from using the Safe settings from the ram calculator.

snap99201933739AM.png

I never noticed the box a couple of lines down from the model number. Seems to indicate E type die, though every DRAM Calculator guide always indicated to go by the model number to figure out die type. I guess E type it is.

Second time I've posted this, but it has some good stuff about the Ryzen RAM calculator's abilities-and limitations. Worth a watch.

Hi there guys.
I own a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, a Ryzen 3600 and 16gb Ddr4 3200 CL16 ballistix lt ram.
Is overclocking the ram worth the trouble? Using the memory calculator seems a lot of work, are the gains in performance minimal or is this worth the time?
Cheers :)

Back