• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990 FX PCI-E speed confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spadesvet11b

I have a great question concerning the PCI-E slots, and I hope someone has the answer.

Here is my rig-
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX 8120
G. Skill 14900 1866 DDR3 (8 GB)
SLI-2 X MSI GTX 580 Lightning extreme
Intel 520 120GB SSD

Ok, I have my 580's in PCI-E x16 slots 1 & 3; they are covering my my lone PCI-E x1 slot and my PCI slot. The only available slots that I have for expansion are my black PCI-E x16(x4) slot, and the last PCI-E x16 slot, which is brown. I NEED to get a sound card; the onboard is garbage, but here is my issue. If I sandwich a sound card between my 580's into the PCI-E x16(x4) black slot there is going to be some serious heat issues, and, where I am confused is the last PCI-E x16 slot. If I install a sound card in the last slot what I am understanding is that it will degrade my speeds from- X16, X16, 0 to X16, X8, X8, which I don't want to do. I am not sure if the x16 x8 x8 applies only for 3 way SLI or if it is any card that is put into that final slot.

So, I am hoping that someone can help me out with this issue.

As I understand it, it will be anything plugged into that slot. The switcher is only looking for "something" not video card plugged in the slot.

If you plug into brown slot you will drop to 8x 8x. on your 580s.

You will have to use the black slot and find a card short enough that you only block one fan on the top 580. then add a side panel fan to bring cool air in to counteract the loss in airflow.

Actually sound card and dual reference 580s would be totally unaffected thats a shame. Do you bench is that why you bought the lightnings? Or just have them both clocked well past 900?

EDIT: I just dont see any motherboard providing what you need with out sacrificing tri-fire/SLI compatability. Which no manufacturer would do apparently unless limited to 16x lanes total

Last edited:
You won't have a big performance loss if you run them at x8/x8.
Cards can't utilize the full potential of x16 lanes anyways..

Back