• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX Drive Detection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weatherlite

When I was running strictly HDDs in my system the computer would POST and then boot right up. If I made a change, like installing a new HDD or removing one, etc, it would POST, go through a "detecting drives" routine and then boot, but only the first time. As long as nothing was changed it never did the drive detection thing again. Now that I'm running with SSDs it does the drive detection things every single time it boots, even if I'm running only one SSD, two SSD, two SSD and a HDD, one SSD and two HDD, etc, etc. Not only does it do this, but it does it TWICE! I sit on the ASUS UEFI screen for what feels like an eternity and then it looks for drives, goes back to the UEFI screen for another eternity and then looks for drives again...then back to the UEFI screen and on to a boot.

Yes, drives are set to ACHI in the BIOS and I have the most recent firmware. They are plugged into the SATA3 ports on the motherboard. I have boot sequence set to DVD-USB-SSD.

Any ideas?

No, haven't tried that yet...definitely want to use that as a last resort. Maybe it's old-fart paranoia, but I've always dreaded updating a BIOS due to the number of casualties this has created in the past.

Not only is it possible that a bios update is necessary, the firmware of the SSDs is suspect as well since the later firmware for the SSDs has helped with a multitude of odd behaviors with the Agility 3 SSDs.

Yeah, the drives have the latest firmware (from the factory thankfully) but the motherboard is one or two versions behind I'm sure. I'll have to give it a shot one of these days when I've got nothing planned and will have time to fix issues should the BIOS update go awry. lol

Updated the BIOS...no change. Oh well. It's no biggie anyway. If I ever come across a fix I'll update though in case someone else runs into the same problem in the future.

do you have any drives plugged into the black sata ports? if so try moving them to the brown sata ports.

Honestly, I don't remember off the top of my head, but if I do it would only be the ODD. All of the HDD and the SSD are hooked to the 6Gb ports...even though the HDD can't benefit from it. I'll take a look and see what I can do though. Can't hurt to try!

Back