• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 rev1.xx E-Sata problem +Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moon DK

Hi All

I´m new here but after some search online I ended up here (long between serious AMD forums), this looks like the place for me :)

First I have to say that English is Not my native language so you have to bear with my spelling and grammar but I do understand reading and talk with no problems :)

I´m rather new with this FX8350 Cpu and the SaberKitty and have a few problems with the setup, the most important is the E-Sata controller, when I use one of them my setup get´s realy slow, I cant transfer data to the disc but I can read from it, can´t even format the disc unless I use the USB 2 connection.

Do the controller have a limit on the size of the hard disc, my problem is with 3TB hard drives (can´t test with small´r drives), I have no problem´s with the USB3 even if I have 10TB connected in the same USB3 port.

What to do ???

Hope there are some with good input that perhaps can do the difference so I can be happy with the MB again :)

Cheers from Denmark

Last edited:
Welcome to OCF...

...:welcome:

Have you installed the Asmedia SATA Controller Driver. The eSATA ports are controlled by Asmedia Chip.

The gray ports below the 6 brown ports on the lower right rear edge of mobo are controlled by Asmedia chip as are the two red eSATA ports out the rear of the motherboard I/O panel.

RGone...

Hi RGone and thanks for the welcome :)

I have installed the drivers, and found a newer model then the drivers on the CD and on Asus homepage but same problem with all drivers.

After looking in some old boxes I found a WD Green 1Tb drive and mounted it in a external enclosure and tested it and now the controller works, looks like that the controller have a limit on hard disc size but that we have seen before I just had expected that a new motherboard like this (two weeks old) had fixed old problems like this, 3Tb drives is quite normal today in my eyes :)

About my Ram, I have some problems running them at 1600Mhz and with the XMP profile they just plain sucks, right now they run 1333Mhz Cl 6 and 1.5v

I have tested every stick as single and all of then ran 1866Mhz easy with 1.65v all I did where to set speed at 1866Mhz in Bios (no tweaking), have you any experience with the Mushkin Red/Black on this MB ?

On my old Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 / Phenom II 965BE setup I had no problems running them at 1600Mhz and with a little tweaking they ran 1800Mhz retty good I think with the old Cpu and chipset.

Cheers
Carsten

Last edited:
It looks like you are going to have to input the memory manually. I have the same problem with my Corsair Vengeance 1600 (5.12), they were hitting some tight timings @ 1864 (9-9-9-24 2T 1.65v) on my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Rev 1.x. When I got the Saberkitty to replace it, I had to loosen the timings @ 1864 (9-10-9-24 2T 1.65). Even though the (2) two motherboards have the same chipset, they each have their own personality. My Gigabyte UD5 would not take the proc past 5.2x, even with 1.7v+ on water. The Saberkitty will let it hit 5.5x at the same voltage.

Not sure if this helps you any :shrug:

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post

Hi RGone and thanks for the welcome :)

About my Ram, I have some problems running them at 1600Mhz and with the XMP profile they just plain sucks, right now they run 1333Mhz Cl 6 and 1.5v

I have tested every stick as single and all of then ran 1866Mhz easy with 1.65v all I did where to set speed at 1866Mhz in Bios (no tweaking), have you any experience with the Mushkin Red/Black on this MB ?

On my old Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 / Phenom II 965BE setup I had no problems running them at 1600Mhz and with a little tweaking they ran 1800Mhz retty good I think with the old Cpu and chipset.

Cheers
Carsten
What is the Cpu Nb Voltage set at? Try raising it and see if you can find stability on the memory. My 8350 has a particularly weak IMC and needs 1.3875 Cpu Nb voltage to run my sticks at 1866 Mhz and 1.3 V to run at 1600 Mhz stable.

Short news about the ASmedia Sata / eSata controller, the controller can manage up to 2TB hard discs (internal/external) a bit disappointing in my eyes but now it work as supposed.

MaddMutt - Mandrake4565

Right now I am transferring a lot of data so can´t go in the bios but I have these data from TurboV Evo with the voltage info and I expect that I will play with the settings later today if I can find the time (family and house takes some time in the weekends). Unavngivet1.jpg Unavngivet.jpg

Hope it can be used...:)

Hope it can be used...:)
Yup it can, see the Cpu Nb Voltage 1.175? It's most likely way too low, especially when trying to run 4x2g sticks of ram. I would start by setting it at 1.25 v. Make sure you are changing the CPU Nb Voltage, not the Nb Voltage. Try setting it at 1.25 and see if you can get it to boot at 1600 Mhz. It will take some trial and error to find what your chip needs to run the Ram at 1600 Mhz. You can test it using memtest 86 or Prime blend to see if it's stable.

No actual ram paart numbers....

...and this does not get a real informative hit. > Mushkin Red/Black PC3-1600 CL6-8-6-24.

However one thing does seem sort of obvious. This is older ram. Nothing made today has those sorts of timings. No ICs available to make such ram sticks with those timings.

A few of things do seem to surface.

1. Seems a lot of that speed and ram timings were in 3x2gig kits meaning Intel spec'd ram.

2. Pure Love/Hate for users. Some said works with AMD and some said NO freeken way AMD when used in 4x2 config.

3. Since I do not know the actual part number it is difficult to ensure Apples and Apples, but the last thing that caught my eye was a forum statement that said the 6, 8, 6, 24 timings were spec'd DDR3-1600 "only on" Intel; otherwise the ram had to be run slower.

So it would appear that DDR3-1600 will be problematic with 4x2gig sticks on AMD system. I expect more than a little trial and error for actual use at DDR3-1600 in AMD AM3+ system. No doubt raising the CPU_NB to at least 1.25V is a good first move. That is the buss across which the ram speaks to the cpu and critical on iffy ram. It may well come down to how the IMC inside the cpu itself works. Some are way weaker than others at times. Normally I would suggest to raise the ram voltage a slight bit to maybe 1.655V but I saw so many users claim that the ram ran really hot and some had heat spreaders loose on their ram. At least one stick out of a 2 stick kit. So I would certainly be mindful of loose heatspreaders on ram said by some to run really hot. Don't often hear users speak to ram being hot running.

This is just FYI for those trying to help OP with his ram.

RGone...

That ram is PSC chipped. Same as the G.Skill Flares and Eco's.
Capable of CL6 in the 1800 or so range even on AMD when properly set up. IMC IS a factor. None of mine run hot at all @ 1.65-1.75v.
I have a half a dozen or so sets.

Sadly I still transfer data in two hours more but I will look at the settings after that :)

Mandrake:

I have no problem in booting with 1600Mhz or with the XMP profile but when running a Ram stress test in Aida64 the pc frezee after short time, I will give it a try with the extra voltage (much more the I expected).

RGone:

This is the data on the ram and where a 2x2GB kit but I also know that there where kit´s of 3x2GB (on the link to newegg you see green pcb but they are black. Unavngivet61.jpg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226120

They where pretty hard to get hold on but yes they are between four and five years old, they where really good on the 890FX chipset and just needed a little tweak to run 1800Mhz

On my old MB I could get them to run with these timings :
1333mhz - 5-5-5-15-T1-68 @ 1.5V
1456mhz - 6-6-6-18-T1-72 @ 1.6V
1600mhz - 6-7-6-18-T1-72 @ 1.6V
1680mhz - 6-7-6-18-T1-72 @ 1.6V
1720mhz - 6-7-6-20-T1-80 @ 1.65V
1800mhz - 6-8-6-24-T1-88 @ 1.65V
1900Mhz - 7-8-7-30-T2-88 @ 1.65V

Up til 1680Mhz they where with both kits and over where with one kit, in Denmark they are and where the gold to get if you had a AMD setup (tight timings and AMD = win win when talking Phenom II).

Heat have never been a problem in my old setup actually they where surprising cold but that where in my old setup, things seem to be different with the FX cpu/990 chipset, they are still cold but setup quite different but I think they still deserve a chance to prove they can do there work before I look after some different.

"""1. Seems a lot of that speed and ram timings were in 3x2gig kits meaning Intel spec'd ram.

2. Pure Love/Hate for users. Some said works with AMD and some said NO freeken way AMD when used in 4x2 config. """

No offence but this is simply not correct there are many in Europe and US who have different experience even on Tomshardware (place for Intel fanboys) you will see treads where they praise those 2x2GB kits on AMD setups (again old ones PhenomII) so I can only agree with Mr.Scott

Now you have the product info that where missing but I don´t see the meaning with the warning when you don´t know what product it is, that helps no one but there are haters and lovers with all brands on AMD setup´s so should we chose out for that then no one with AMD setup would be able to run with any ram in the pc, we both know that it´s not possible.

I will try pushing the voltage up and see what happens, cool that there are so much knowledge on the FX cpu and the Saberkitty MB and you guys share it :clap: Thank for that :)

Last... That Crappy ASmedia eSata/Sata controller behave bad again, now with a 2TB drive :mad:

Cheers

Last edited:
Sadly I still transfer data in two hours more but I will look at the settings after that :)

This is the data on the ram and where a 2x2GB kit but I also know that there where kit´s of 3x2GB (on the link to newegg you see green pcb but they are black. View attachment 163423
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226120

They where pretty hard to get hold on but yes they are between four and five years old, they where really good on the 890FX chipset and just needed a little tweak to run 1800Mhz

On my old MB I could get them to run with these timings :
1333mhz - 5-5-5-15-T1-68 @ 1.5V
1456mhz - 6-6-6-18-T1-72 @ 1.6V
1600mhz - 6-7-6-18-T1-72 @ 1.6V
1680mhz - 6-7-6-18-T1-72 @ 1.6V
1720mhz - 6-7-6-20-T1-80 @ 1.65V
1800mhz - 6-8-6-24-T1-88 @ 1.65V
1900Mhz - 7-8-7-30-T2-88 @ 1.65V

Up til 1680Mhz they where with both kits and over where with one kit, in Denmark they are and where the gold to get if you had a AMD setup (tight timings and AMD = win win when talking Phenom II).

Heat have never been a problem in my old setup actually they where surprising cold but that where in my old setup, things seem to be different with the FX cpu/990 chipset, they are still cold but setup quite different but I think they still deserve a chance to prove they can do there work before I look after some different.

"""1. Seems a lot of that speed and ram timings were in 3x2gig kits meaning Intel spec'd ram.

2. Pure Love/Hate for users. Some said works with AMD and some said NO freeken way AMD when used in 4x2 config. """

No offence but this is simply not correct there are many in Europe and US who have different experience even on Tomshardware (place for Intel fanboys) you will see treads where they praise those 2x2GB kits on AMD setups (again old ones PhenomII) so I can only agree with Mr.Scott

I will try pushing the voltage up and see what happens, cool that there are so much knowledge on the FX cpu and the Saberkitty MB and you guys share it :clap: Thank for that :)

Last... That Crappy ASmedia eSata/Sata controller behave bad again, now with a 2TB drive :mad:

Cheers

Your figures are pretty much the same as mine. I also brought them off an 890 chipset. Try just a hair more voltage.
Just dumped these in my daily. I'm on a funny divider so the speed is a little low, but you get the idea.
These are G.Skill Eco's. Same PSC chips.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 577
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
Yep looks much alike but if there are a difference I can´t see except the numbers Powerchip XDR729A3G-A
Unavngivet7.jpg

I can see you run them unganged, do you have problems when you run them as ganged ?

Back