• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Got a new Saber to replace my Crosshair V Formula (non-Z) and im now seeing just how messed up the other one was. Reading ~5c lower temps at Prime95 Small FFT/Blend with the same settings and everything just "feels" so much smoother and faster. 2 things i am left wondering though :

1. voltage/temp spikes and LLC much higher (at Ultra High) then Crosshair - ex : 1.440v is 1.64v instead of 1.450v at load.

2. new sensors and one of them is hitting 80s (i don't like high temps) - and i have no idea what they are.

Clipboard01.jpg

Any thoughts ?

!.64v is just wrong. It was right in line with my CHVz when set at ultra it evened out the Vcore under load to slightly over setting just as you saw with your old board. I have mine in my HTPC right now. Something isn't reading right. I also think the Sabo has a VRM temp, not sure IIRC but that could easily be at 80c under load.

!.64v is just wrong. It was right in line with my CHVz when set at ultra it evened out the Vcore under load to slightly over setting just as you saw with your old board. I have mine in my HTPC right now. Something isn't reading right. I also think the Sabo has a VRM temp, not sure IIRC but that could easily be at 80c under load.

HWiNFO64 - CPU is hitting 56c package in Prime95 2h Blend. How high can the VRMs go ? im assuming this is already high-ish or high OMG ITS GONNA BURN ?

Last edited:
Here's what I was putting together, image wise when my system took another thermal dump on itself: We both have same mobo, but im on an OCd 6100.

Temps.jpg

I was running F@H on all six cores, full power.........again, package temp got near 86-87c, and instant off.

Mmmmmm so... are the VRMs ok ? read in other Saber threads that some go all the way to ~130c, depending on manufacturer but only way to tell is to remove the shield ?

Going to try LLC High to see the difference on spikes.

To be honest, I don't know. wait for the resident Power Guru's lol.
The only reason my system keeps shutting down is lack of adequate cooling CPU wise.....
as well as me being a bonehead and pushing more than I should for no reason.

Yes VRM's have a high heat tolerance but it reduces efficiency the hotter they get the harder they work. Get some fans front and back, that will help. I can't rmember if the Sabo has the phase setting in Digi section but setting it to extreme can help. The boards will cut back the number pf phases used for power savings. On extreme it's wide open so the load is spread across the full power section that way.

Well im very happy with 4.8ghz at ~56c on air so not gonna push more :) all the digi+ options are already on 130% and the probes on extreme and c. current.

One other thing that's seriously pissing me off : this thing now boots too fast for me to get into BIOS even with fast boot off :mad: my Quickfire TK takes a few seconds more to turn on then the mouse, never though i would whine about my pc being too fast :rofl:

Only have 2 SSD inside and a 1tb on a dock so only 2 brown used. 4/6 for convenience, as my GPU is on top of the White/1/2.

I have the top two in Digi+ flipped *i think* will check later, and the rest where they started at.
I like to leave as much alone as possible, until I have a clear idea as to what in the heck they do lol.

Goes kind of insane with the voltages, bumped to 1.450v and set it on high and it dropped to 1.440v, set it again to Ultra High and this is what i get :confused: maybe leave it as is, running at 4.8 at same temp i ran 4.7 in the Crosshair, good enough ? really surprised and pleased with the temp drops.

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
I unno.

In bios, my CPU is set to 1.5v, and it doesn't fluctuate much. maybe .012v
Im currently at 4018mhz(20x~200) all cores fully used, F@H and web browsing, cpu @77c, package @78c.
*had to lower OC by 400mhz*

your chip does suck more power than mine does, so blah, who knows what variables cause the difference.
Remember, no two pieces of hardware will work the same.

There's still room there Kenrou, 4.9 might be possible

I'll add to be careful with those settings - 130+ really isn't needed since these boards are just that good at what they do.
I've rarely ever had to crank the Digi settings even while doing some extreme OC'ing and I'd suggest only doing that if on sub-zero, mainly LN2. With DICE it's still doable but again not a necessity, my results with the Sabo I have is proof of it.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2521464_bones_pifast_fx_8320_21sec_220ms

Mind you I wasn't running all 8 cores with that one but even as it was it was still under a load to achieve the clocks you see.
Here's another with all 8 going.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2521524_bones_wprime___1024m_fx_8320_3min_10sec_390ms

You'll have to see what effect it has to know when you're setting it too high, as sugessted I'd place a fan or something around the VRM area to help things. Normally if I alter the settings I'll run 110+ with my phase control set to extreme since even that will cause the chip to run hotter.

But isn't 130% just a matter of "stretch all you like" ? Or does it have negative results ?

Maybe a 80mm on top of the shield between the back fan and the Noctua if I can fit it.

Back