• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabretooth 990fx rev1.0 & R9 290 PCS+ compatability in crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When you're posting a reply, click the button at the top of the post box that says "Insert Images" when you hover over it.
You can then upload the pictures from your computer to this forum.

okay great.

Another question. Now that i have both cards i am running tests but i see no improvement

I want to point out two things.

I turn off and on my crossfire setup and i see no difference in the results

2. for some reason the results always show "AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 14.501.1003.0 (4095MB) x2"

even though I bouncing between crossfire and not.

Any thoughts?

benchmarks.png

I noticed when i played BF4 i also saw no improvement and in fact the game was running at 60fps sometimes. This seems weidr because before i would almost always be around 90FPS

I should mentiong that in bf4 i was running 1080p 144mhz monitor with everything on low.

My first guess is a driver issue. Try a different one or clean and reinstall the one you're using.

hey thanks again for the response johan. I know you don't have to help me and you are.

Once i get home today ill be running more tests and doing what you are telling me. This is my 1st crossfire setup so I am sure i am not doing something totally correct. i don't want to give up on trying to make it worth either. I just hope i didn't spend 200 bucks for nothing lol.

For right now im stuck at work for another 6 ish hours.

I am planning on using the DD uninstaller andphysically removing the 2nd card and starting fresh.

Assuming i start over. here is what i plan to do.

1. Uninstall drivers.
2. shut down
3. remove 2nd video card.
4. boot up with 1st video card only.
5. install the most recent NON beta drivers for AMD which are omega drivers.
6. run a match of bf4
7. run a heaven and valley test.
8. shut down
9. install 2nd card
10. boot up
11. activate crossfire
12. run bf4 and heaven and valley (in full screen using mantle as per AMD instructions)
13. report my findings here.

Does that seem like the correct steps to do in that order?

Yeah those steps look good. If that doesn't work try an older NON Omega driver and see if that helps. 90% of the time if a multi card setup isn't working properly it's a driver issue, well in my experience anyway.

Hey guys any advice on what do here would be helpful.

my specs

Asus Sabretooth 990fx Rev 1

AMD FX8150 OC'ed to 4.4ghz

Gskill DDR3 2400mhz

EVGA 850w G2

Samsung 850 EVO 500gig

R9 290 Powercolor PCS+ (two)

Swiftech 240x Liquid Cooling Setup

1. Ran DDU in safe mode removed the drivers
2. Shutdown
3. Took out the second gpu
4. Ran CCleaner for temp files and reg cleaner (run the reg cleaner a few times till zero errors are found at least 2 times in a row)
5. Install Omega drivers
6. Check if crossfire is enabled if it is disable it
7. Run Heaven and record the results
6. Installed the 2nd card again
7. Enabled Crossfire, In MSI AB disable ULPS and restart.
8. Run Heaven and msi afterburners graph make it long side to side a lot (stretch it outside the screen we just want the GPU usage graph) record results and snip the heaven gpu graphs.
9. Upload the heaven results and snips of AB graph here.

Here i did the steps as per the other user
http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club/36610#post_23825206
Post 36616

1.png 2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

- - - Updated - - -

i am thinking maybe i should start a thread on this. I have been going to other forums see what i can do. I wonder if my CPU is the bottleneck but only more tests will show that. But i didnt even notice a single FPS increase and in fact in some games my FPS went down.

My goal is to have a 144mhz FPS gaming machine but so far no luck.

Yes the pics are too small. I did mention yesterday that you may need to try another driver.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the problem is, you're seeing a ~40FPS gain...

I'm not sure what the problem is, you're seeing a ~40FPS gain...

Not sure how long CFire has been around, but I do remember it being said for years now that about a Max of 30% increase using CFfire. So he had about 100FPS and went to almost 135FPS according to Unigine bench and that is just a little over 30% increase. I see a lot of people setting 120Hz input to those 144Hz monitors because it is so d*mn hard to hold up to 144Hz.

RGone...

Not only that, but it's running PCIe 2.0 x8 on AMD. Intel has always gotten better scaling with multiple graphics cards, and that gap increased a bit with PCIe 3.0.

deleted. post irrelevant.

TL;DR

8150 fx and two r9 290s can hold minimum 100+ fps (with high settings) in bf4 and similar games if you have;

1. 16gb 2400mhz ram
2. 4.4hz or higher CPU (AMD FX CPU that is)
3. the correct drivers.
4. Frame pacing.

Last edited:
...This is your thread. You started it so you can sort of change course if you want to. Can you take some more high resolution pics of your case and post/attach them to this thread. I am ordering that LUXE case in black with all red led fans and the extra 1M Led strip. Just looking to 'see' as many ideas as possible before I get completely set in what I will do to the case.

Intent is to run 360 rad in ToP of case with push from inside at first and then add pull fans on top if need be.

I mean if you feel like doing some very good pic taking and even a night view. Hehehe.

Thanks man, and good luck on CFx.
RGone...

Hey Rgone

sorry to let this slip my mind. With the CFx giving me issues i forgot.

Here are a few pics. I am sorry for the cable management!

20150422_155502.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20150422_155740.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks man for the pics. That power supply cover is a neat feature. I ordered black and going with all red led fans. I am going now to have to test fit upper rad with fans blowing up thru the radiator and see if 35mm/rad + 25mm/fan is going to come down too far into the case and overlap the motherboard. If it does then going to have to go 29mm/rad and 25mm/fan to clear that upper edge of the mobo.

Again, thanks for the pics.

RGone...

i have since fixed the crossfire issues and i guess i didnt update this thread.

The CPU was not the bottleneck. My ram was running at 1600..jumped it to 2400mhz and now everything is running dandy. I dont go below 100+ fps and omsetimes reach 150ish

Back