• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Second Build - First liquid cooling attempt, advice, tips, and recomendations :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also found out that my GPU will consume on average around 140w of power, reaching close to 300 if i crossfire them.

Making a quick post on my way to do some other stuff, so it's not 100% well informed, but you want to be looking at the max power consumption, not the average consumption. Your loop needs to be able to handle the worst case scenario, not just the average scenario.

Thanks again and for the GPU tip, I will attempt sketching out a loop tonight in MS paint....stay tuned!

Edit on purchase list: getting close to the final rendering of parts ill need, most recent change is to my compression fittings, i am deathly afraid of my EK HF block not being able to not fit two 1/2" x 3/4" compression fittings, so to be on the safe side i ordered two 90* fittings for the CPU block and one for my GPU block.

Drew up a rough estimate of what i think im going to do for my loop....please comment and let me know if you think its going to work, the only difference from the sketch to the actual build will be the pump moving closer to the GPU, it seems very far away in the sketch because i accidentally almost placed it in the HDD bay haha.

Untitled-1.png

Last edited:
Looks okay, res feeding pumo of course.

45's work better, but the 90's are so much more versital, you can easily make them into a 90 also.

I use them on my CPU blocks and other places as 90's. Did you order one extra? Always nice to do that with the the teeny show-stopper parts. And you'll probably use it someday.

Did some looking at your card, your about 150-170 watts under load, and the CPU at 200 max. When your gaming the GPU will be pushed hard but not the CPU, so you should be fine with the rad and the fans you chose.

Might want to make sure the front of the case has good fans, not sure if the ones in the case are good. And add a lower fan at the bottom. Rads restrict airflow, so by adding some quiet good fans in the other spots it hekllps the case breath pretty well. Your case is great for watercooling, but overall airflow is kinda weak.

Looks okay, res feeding pumo of course.

45's work better, but the 90's are so much more versital, you can easily make them into a 90 also.

I use them on my CPU blocks and other places as 90's. Did you order one extra? Always nice to do that with the the teeny show-stopper parts. And you'll probably use it someday.

Did some looking at your card, your about 150-170 watts under load, and the CPU at 200 max. When your gaming the GPU will be pushed hard but not the CPU, so you should be fine with the rad and the fans you chose.

Might want to make sure the front of the case has good fans, not sure if the ones in the case are good. And add a lower fan at the bottom. Rads restrict airflow, so by adding some quiet good fans in the other spots it hekllps the case breath pretty well. Your case is great for watercooling, but overall airflow is kinda weak.

so your recomending a few 45* fittings over 90*s? any major differences between the two? Flow restriction maybe, but i cant think of anything else?

okay, so one last post before i hit the sack, this is probably aimed at you Conumdrum, do you think i am ready to buy yet? Giving everything a final once through i cannot find any problems with them, i took your suggestion and am switching from 90s to 4 45s (one extra just in case).....i would love to order this stuff and get to goin, my PC parts alone should be here next week, so another week after that is when i would like to start WCing.

Rule of thumb: if you're not sure you're ready to buy, you probably haven't done enough research. The latest supreme HF can support 2 3/4" od compression fittings iirc, but 45's will make life easier anyways. No real difference in flow characteristics between a straight and a 45...at least none that are measurable for our purposes from just one or 2.

consolidated most of my parts from one distributor, will be ordering parts next week. By then i should be starting the basic PC build and checking major components for defects.

okay, so one last post before i hit the sack, this is probably aimed at you Conumdrum, do you think i am ready to buy yet? Giving everything a final once through i cannot find any problems with them, i took your suggestion and am switching from 90s to 4 45s (one extra just in case).....i would love to order this stuff and get to goin, my PC parts alone should be here next week, so another week after that is when i would like to start WCing.

Yea, you should be fine. Still, since you kinda rushed it and might be a rush guy, I'll tell you this.

Be sooo very anal and careful on your first WC build. Don't expect it to take a day. Take 2-3 hours to touch and play and think about the parts. Then go away and think about it for a while.

Then spend a while getting ready, cleaning a large work area, usually a big kitchen counter abd table. Check for tools and everything.

Then play with the parts. See how the hose fits, the fittings and orings work.

Be ooooohhhh so careful with the screws and the rad, practice first. I don't have enough toes and fingers to count how many put fan screws through the rad.

Clean your parts, clean your work area, rinse parts, be very vigorous on your rad cleaning. Wipe your hands with alcohol to keep the hand oils from staining your stuff. Do NOT allow alcohol to get on acrylic. Crackkkkkkk.............

Okay, that took 9 hours. Now, the next part..... 5-8 hours to build, 2-3 hours to fill and bleed, and then a 24 hour leak test.

Give yourself breaks and go do something else now and then. DO NOT get tunnel vision.

Then your done. It gets easier the next time. BTW, I take at least one full weekend to clean/rebuild my system each year.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592874
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631501
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

Just in case you didn't really do your homework FIRST.:popcorn:

Yea, you should be fine. Still, since you kinda rushed it and might be a rush guy, I'll tell you this.

Be sooo very anal and careful on your first WC build. Don't expect it to take a day. Take 2-3 hours to touch and play and think about the parts. Then go away and think about it for a while.

Then spend a while getting ready, cleaning a large work area, usually a big kitchen counter abd table. Check for tools and everything.

Then play with the parts. See how the hose fits, the fittings and orings work.

Be ooooohhhh so careful with the screws and the rad, practice first. I don't have enough toes and fingers to count how many put fan screws through the rad.

Clean your parts, clean your work area, rinse parts, be very vigorous on your rad cleaning. Wipe your hands with alcohol to keep the hand oils from staining your stuff. Do NOT allow alcohol to get on acrylic. Crackkkkkkk.............

Okay, that took 9 hours. Now, the next part..... 5-8 hours to build, 2-3 hours to fill and bleed, and then a 24 hour leak test.

Give yourself breaks and go do something else now and then. DO NOT get tunnel vision.

Then your done. It gets easier the next time. BTW, I take at least one full weekend to clean/rebuild my system each year.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592874
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631501
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

Just in case you didn't really do your homework FIRST.:popcorn:

:salute:I feel like i just got permission from a father to marry his daughter, i do feel confident in my ability to put together a successful system, if there is one word that does describe me it is anal retentive, so i will not have to worry about being super careful with the entire set up. The only challenge will be to keep my gf out of the build room for the duration of the proccess, remember this pc will be hers :bday: (although i will make sure to properly maintain etc)

Well, since I have fathered many WC rigs over the years here in this forum, I have gotten better at knowing who the parent is and what kind of advice is needed.

Best of luck, what will you name it?:rofl:

Well, since I have fathered many WC rigs over the years here in this forum, I have gotten better at knowing who the parent is and what kind of advice is needed.

Best of luck, what will you name it?:rofl:

That's easy, she'll be named Rosie, after the ACDC song, because shell be a hot mess that will leave you begging for more after she has rode you hard and put you away wet. :cool:

NON WC UPDATE:

to add some flash to the build, i have just recently requested that Martin of physcosleeve make me a full set of re-sleeved cables for my upcoming build. get excited, its gonna be a good one.

Build Update:

Last night my youngest brother (i am teaching him the basics) and I started working on the basic build, here are some pics :thup:

The cable management in this case is unbelievable.

IMAG0082.jpg
The Giant 800D box, compared to my granite coffee table

IMAG0083.jpg
younger brother cheesin with some of the equipment

IMAG0085.jpg
mobo out of case with 2500k on it

IMAG0086.jpg
finishing screwing in the PSU

got a decent amount done last night, played with some cable managment today, looking forward to monday when i can continue the build

Last edited:
You should test it on a table or a counter before mounting it, let it run a few days, play with it and test everything first. THEN set it up in the case, make sure it works.

Then add watercooling. We seen it before. Installed, powered up, bad. Ahh crap..................

I did do a quick test of all the parts before mounting them in the case, however i did not have time for a full 24hr test period, everything looked good, no RMA's needed at the moment, i will do a move extensive test tomorrow when the gf leaves for work.

Back