• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Second Build - First liquid cooling attempt, advice, tips, and recomendations :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just look at the pictures and see if the mounting holes look close. Considering they both have to attach to the same PCB, more likely then not it would.

If it doesn't fit, you could always take a drill and the backplate and make it fit.

The problem might be the lenght of the screws. The ones that come with a GPU block are an exact length. If it comes with a backplate, they can make screws exactly for that.

So, yea, it might, but it's tricky, you could use screws too long and not get a good mount. Or too short and strip it.

The problem might be the lenght of the screws. The ones that come with a GPU block are an exact length. If it comes with a backplate, they can make screws exactly for that.

So, yea, it might, but it's tricky, you could use screws too long and not get a good mount. Or too short and strip it.

If you can match the thread, bolt and nut?
Again, not a watercooler, so just throwing out ideas. :shrug:

You can, getting the teeny screws can be done once you know the thread. It's very small tho. And some experimentation and cutting of the screw can be done. Stripping out a GPU block when you only got one can be, sucky to say the least.

Not saying it can't be done, with care and paitence why not?

well the 6970 is in and it looks great :thup: here are some pics for al of you to enjoy, P.S, i knew the card would be big but damn, it extends a full inch past the mobo, although it is still dwarfed in comparisson to the 800d:attn:

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

:clap: refrence card :clap:

IMAG0101.jpg

water cooling parts will be ordered on fri of this week.

Last edited:
*in my best professor farnsworth voice* Good news everyone!!

friday = payday

payday = water cooling parts ordered

Two things to be noted, i have changed my res from a phobya 250 balancer to an EK multioption 250 simply for the additional ports, also i have added a Danger Den fill port to the list, will just help will filling and bleeding, i think well worth the $15 investment

Last edited:
another tubing layout, similar to the first one but this has a fill port included and a "rough" idea of what compressions i am going to use where.

also i think i am going to try and achieve a similar effect to this build (see below) with my tubing layout, its hard to picture it when looking at my MS paint masterpiece but either way i will be playing with it once all of it arrives.

Untitled-4.png

IMG_2810-2.jpg

tubingsetup1.jpg

Those rig pics looks like a roller coaster, hehe.

Yea, pretty standard set in thise pics. Many of the wild bends could be fixed with a liberal application of some more 45's and some 90's. One thing to consider, with torque like that on the tubing, tubing over time can come loose. If the tubing is twisted it can actaully unscrew the G1/4 threads off the parts in time.

I'm more prone to straightetst tubing with min bends. But not having to add a billion fittings to accomplish that, just in moderation with fittings, bends, for a complete package.

thanks for the tips, like i said once it all arrives i will be playing with it all for several hours before i make any concrete decisions about the placement of components.

Nice big juicy update.

Got all parts in yesterday, minus the GPU block, is coming tomorrow

started playing and install today

The Main components (out of their boxes)
IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

Main components mounted with fittings

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

first tube mounted

IMAG0112.jpg

second

IMAG0113.jpg

3rd and 4th

IMAG0114.jpg

picture with case closed, all tubes at least prematurely mounted including GPU tubes and Fill port

IMAG0118.jpg

Over all i am very happy, the look of the case is very full and aggressive without being crowded or gaudy. Look for updates on Monday at the latest.

Last edited:
Hi man, looks awesome! No doubt!

But i have a Q: The EK Res you have, how do you mount it? I know there is 2 mounting brackets, but how are they secured and/or fastened to your case, I can't figure it out?

And what are the dimensions of the base of the brackets? (I have thought of getting a EK cylender res myselve, but don't know if there is room to mount it in my Fractal Define XL between the wiring holes.

-HrCookie

@HrCookie That res provided me with a PITA, they actually come with 2 mounting brackets taht you can screw to your case (which is what i wound up doing post drilling) however the tightening device on the clamps were simply ineffictive, with 3 compression fittings attached, the res was simply too heavy to be heald by those dingy clamps alone, so after i screw mounted them to the case i used a small sliver of double sided tape, to secure it to the mounts. And i am not sure on the dimensions of the brackets but im sure EK has that info on their site or can find out for you with a simple e-mail :)

On another note, Martin from Psychosleeve let me know that me sleeving was done, check out the sweet pics! Thanks again Martin!!

24pin
24pin.jpg

8pin
8pin.jpg

PCIE
pcie.jpg

I ended up letting his creativity take over and he did not disappoint, i think it will go very well with my current tubing and motherboard configuration, i plan to pull the 24pin connector partially over the res and fully display the PCIE sleeves as well, such artwork deserves to be on display.

PICS OF FINAL BUILD, after 24hr leak test. :clap::clap::clap:

overall i am VERY pleased, the custom sleeving (although trivial) really ties the whole build together and takes it to that next level.

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

FILL PORT, was a *****.

IMAG0133.jpg

WITH THE LIGHTS ON

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE QUALITY OF THE PICTURES, HOPEFULLY AROUND CHRISTMAS ILL GET SOME HIGH DEF ONES.

Last edited:
Back