• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Security software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bruceymoo

Registered
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say those articles(which i know are a little old now), about the 1000Mbs internet is crazy!
Here in NZ we get 100Mbs to our doors depending on ISP, hopefully the whole country will be walking through a new door with everyone getting fibre optic by 2020 <---- LMAO :rofl:
there are very few locations which have the fastest net, mostly the universities get it, im glad i live near massey university, great place for LAN parties :grouphug:

Anyway... back to what this thread was about.
I recently made my own computer :blah: and i was wondering in other peoples opinions what the best anti virus software is these days?
I have gone with Mcafee the past 3-4 years and have found it really good, no problems at all with it.
However i am looking for a change, just like a GPU change... Nvidia to ATI
What do you guys use? Is it worth the price you payed for? Does it give really good protection when using the net or whatever?

Thanks,
Brucey

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say those articles(which i know are a little old now), about the 1000Mbs internet is crazy!
Here in NZ we get 100Mbs to our doors depending on ISP, hopefully the whole country will be walking through a new door with everyone getting fibre optic by 2020 <---- LMAO :rofl:
there are very few locations which have the fastest net, mostly the universities get it, im glad i live near massey university, great place for LAN parties :grouphug:

Anyway... back to what this thread was about.
I recently made my own computer :blah: and i was wondering in other peoples opinions what the best anti virus software is these days?
I have gone with Mcafee the past 3-4 years and have found it really good, no problems at all with it.
However i am looking for a change, just like a GPU change... Nvidia to ATI
What do you guys use? Is it worth the price you payed for? Does it give really good protection when using the net or whatever?

Thanks,
Brucey

Well Zonealarm is a free firewall & Avast a free Anti-Virus. MS security essentials is free anti-spyware.

Microsoft Security Essentials. Free. Doesn't use a lot of resources. Doesn't pester the crap out of you.

Never paying for antivirus ever again.

I use AVG for free. The best part, besides the price, is that it's updated very often. I have also seen a few peeps post about Avira on here. I don't know much about it, but I have come to trust a lot of opinions that I see on these forums :).

Brian

Comodo FW free works great and gets a ten from matousec. I don't use av software other than clamwin portable. It's not necessary imo unless it's a public pc.

Putting my two cents in for NOD32/ESET. It's not free, but I always feel that "you get what you pay for".
It's fast, efficient, doesn't bog down my system and just plain works. No complaints. :)

Putting my two cents in for NOD32/ESET. It's not free, but I always feel that "you get what you pay for".
It's fast, efficient, doesn't bog down my system and just plain works. No complaints. :)

Agree. Run it myself and worth every penny for my main rig.

I do run the free Avast on two laptops and my second PC and I really like the protection it gives, daily updates, plus the latest version's interface is easy to work with.

NOD32 on my main machine
MSE on others
NOD32 + MSE on firewall compy

Seems to do me alright! The best form of anti-virus is common sense though, don't go on crappy sites and you shouldn't have a problem! :thup:

My usual response to these which AV should I use questions:

MSE for the free option is what I use at home. McAfee if you feel the need to pay for AV is really good. In general it doesn't matter that much as long as you have an AV vs not having one. Practicing safe interneting makes a larger difference than any differences between AVs.

Hey there braidy! :)
Welcome to OCF!
:welcome:

"Best" is a relative term, and will vary from nerd to nerd. There are a slew of available articles online that go over the pros and cons of each available option. I can't recommend one, as my preferred choice is a paid option, and I feel it's worlds better than any free option. But, as with "best" it changes from one person's opinion to another. :D

Here are a few articles that Google had to offer:
http://www.techmixer.com/best-free-antivirus-software-download-list/
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm
http://www.lostintechnology.com/software/top-6-free-antivirus-programs

=^.^=

Back