• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 140 overclocking tips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ikmalhidayat

Registered
[before that, im new here:welcome: and i actually want to create a new thread about the same thing but because EricTan create almost the same thread as me, so i just bump in:bump:]

Well, i managed oc my Sempron 140 using ASRock N68C-GS FX, to 3.46GHz.:p
i oc my system since i got this mobo since mid-July. :thup:

My current system
mobo: n68c-gs fx
cpu: sempron 140
graphic card: sapphire radeon hd 4450 low-profile OCed
ram: kingmax 1X2GB ddr2-800 (overvolt is auto, overclocked at ddr2-860, timing 5-5-5-12-t2)
psu: non-certified, cheap, 12V@18A rail power, about 400W in continuous (estimated)
cpu cooling: stock
case cooling: open side old-ATX case with a fan blowing to the case (traditional cooling)

OCed with bios setting, rather than software.
cpu volt: 1.432V (reading with CPU-Z)
clock: 257*13.5
nb clock: 2050(reading with CPU-Z)
dram frequency: 427.1MHz (CPU-Z)
FSB:DRAM: 3:5 (CPU-Z)

max cpu OCed temp: 52C. measured using ASRock OC Tuner temp

want to clock even some more but limited with 3.48GHz... the temp still fine, maybe something is holding me up.
wanted to unlock the second core at least with stock clock but no luck...:cry: cuz of bad cpu or chipset, nforce 603. but even so, some sempron 145 user managed to unlock with this mobo.:drool:

problem: my HT link is around 1025MHz and wont increase to default speed, 2000MHz. is it maybe the cpu is in AM2+ mode? is the ddr2 ram cause it? also, in cpu-z status, the bus speed is not consistent so much, like +/- 2.00MHz change when at 3.48MHz but for now is +/- 0.2MHz at 3.45GHz. is it unstable? sometimes with 3.48GHz clock, Prime95 looks stable (run blend overnight, 12hrs) but when running some games, it goes BSOD. with 3.46 clock, looks very stable.

well what do you think with my oc? any advice to increase more clock?
will post the bios setting photos if necessary (but... how to do post a photo? i can only post with url link only...:confused: how to do attachment?)

Last edited:
Lower RAM multiplier in BIOS, the ram is probably at its OC limit, due to the increased FSB. If you lower the RAM multiplier so its running below 800MHz, you can likely further increase FSB.

I would disregard the HT Link frequency currently. Even at 1025MHz, it is likely not impacting performance.

Bus speed fluctuates on some boards, fluctuating 2-3MHz isn't abnormal on AMD so that is nothing to worry about. :thup:

To post attachments, click "go advanced" in the quick reply box, then click "manage attachments" to upload your pictures.

Once you get the RAM multi lowered, post those screenies, and we'd be happy to help more.

I went ahead and moved your post to its own thread - you will get more personal attention in your own thread, and erictan's thread was already pretty long. :thup:

Nice!! Well, this is the result, 3510MHz with increased to 1.475V:shock::clap:
Bios setting:
before
Before01.jpg
Before02.jpg
Before03.jpg

after
After-01-01.jpg
After-01-02.jpg
After-01-03.jpg
(well, i dont know my phone camera has a very nice photo:shock::thup:, yeb, no need for dslr professional camera:D)(add: well, too large...3.1MP. maybe i should setting my phone camera just now...)

before test, setup with in-place large FFTs, 10mins. temp at idle, 39C.
001-before.JPG

after test, temp at 100%, 50C.
001-after.JPG
001-memory.JPG
001-spd.JPG
(i thought it would be bsod)

ok, this improves my clock speed by erm...:-/ about... :screwy:around 300MHz.:bday: next, going to try for 3.65GHz and if success, going for even higher, 3.75GHz.:cool: if possible, unlock a core:D

before that, is it okey?

Last edited:
Looks good to me! :) Time to put a hurt on it.

Haha, I'm pretty impressed-- I feel like some chips would really make a stink if you bumped the FSB up this much :eek:

That's a right nice little bump OP has gotten on a sempron :D

well, going beyond 3.51GHz, failed. i can only till this.
(sorry. just now uploaded the pictures but no responds when click the attachments tab. when refresh, i need to reupload again. so, just use .zip instead)
first attempt (after the 3.51GHz oc, bus speed, 265)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118386&stc=1&d=1352227159
well, right when booting windows, it BSOD right away.:clap:

second attempt (adjust ram timing, same as above)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118387&stc=1&d=1352227159
still BSOD when booting windows.:-/

third attempt (turned down the bus speed to 263)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118388&stc=1&d=1352227159
boots up, and when i about to start Prime95, goes BSOD. not even started yet!:mad:

forth attempt (increase the cpu volt to 1.5V)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118389&stc=1&d=1352227262
boots up, success starting up the Prime95 using in-place large FFTs, but goes BSOD after a minute.:temper:

fifth attempt (really, turned down the bus speed to 261, only 1MHz difference:bang head)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118390&stc=1&d=1352227262
boots up, success starting up the Prime95 using the same one, large FFTs, everything is fine:eh?: ... but... 2.5mins before the 10mins test, here it comes:shock::eek:, THE BSOD:temper::mad:

for the fifth attempt, the temp is about 48-50C or something when i checked 5mins after the start.

so... need some advice???:chair::rain:
if cannot be increase the clock,:-/ then maybe after 12hrs blend test for 3510MHz clock,:comp: i will try to tighten up the ram timing.:D
but before that, i need to post about the final result for blend test, then i will tight the timing.

Attachments

• First attempt.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
  • Second attempt.zip
    917.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Third attempt.zip
    1 MB · Views: 104
  • Forth attempt.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • Fifth attempt.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
well, going beyond 3.51GHz, failed. i can only till this. + ETC

I'm not too sure you'll be able to get too much higher. I'm thinking that if you can pass 3.51, you'll find getting to 3.55 will be very difficult (If you can even get there). Have you increased your NB voltage?

The board seem to support UCC (unlock core), have your tried that?
If the 2nd core unlock successfully you maybe cannot reach a very high overclock, but performance is still better than one core.

The HT of 1000MHz is correct for that board.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS FX/?cat=Specifications

yeah but failed. i even tried to use 1.5V at stock / lower clock, but still failed. it seems like i really have a bad cpu
so, the FSB (or HT link preferred for me) is NOT affected by RAM type huh. well, in my theory, using ddr2 memory will result the cpu and the cpu and the mobo be 'Am2+ mode'. cuz i also read that am2/amd2+ will compatible to am3 socket, but will decrease the HT link to 1000Mhz, but will not sacrificing the clock speed

yeah but failed. i even tried to use 1.5V at stock / lower clock, but still failed. it seems like i really have a bad cpu

Traditionally you put voltage back to auto and put your clock frequency back to stock when you unlock. Did you try this?

Which ever is NOT your chipset NB is the one to bump up a bit when OCing. It might make a huge diff-- It might not help any. Always worth a shot though.

Traditionally you put voltage back to auto and put your clock frequency back to stock when you unlock. Did you try this?

well, for the voltage, i set it to max default cpu, that is 1.35V (not tried the auto one), and of course i set my clock to default when trying this.

Which ever is NOT your chipset NB is the one to bump up a bit when OCing. It might make a huge diff-- It might not help any. Always worth a shot though.

do you mean the NB clock in which is NB Frequency Multiplier that is positioned between Processor Voltage and HT Bus Speed? well, some person said that i musnt touch or get it closer to default clock, 2000MHz whenever possible. i actually dont know that will ocing the nb frequency will speedup/gain more oc to my cpu clock.

well, for the voltage, i set it to max default cpu, that is 1.35V (not tried the auto one), and of course i set my clock to default when trying this.

do you mean the NB clock in which is NB Frequency Multiplier that is positioned between Processor Voltage and HT Bus Speed? well, some person said that i musnt touch or get it closer to default clock, 2000MHz whenever possible. i actually dont know that will ocing the nb frequency will speedup/gain more oc to my cpu clock.

Sorry to hear your 2nd core isn't cooperating, then :(

Your NB frequency doesn't have to stay right at 2000. Your HT should always be right around 2000 on these chips (Or 1000 on your / various other boards).

Increasing your NB nets you a general performance gain-- It should scale with your FSB increases anyways. You shouldn't touch it until after you get a stable OC-- It may very well require you to start tweaking settings again.

I find NB frequency boosts give you a pretty nice little performance increase in the fields of RAM and gaming-- For some reason a pretty noticable "smoothness" and an increase of FPS (About 2-6 FPS) are observable on my Deneb rig between 2600 and 2700MHz NB, with a total increase of about 5-9 from 2000 to 2700.

Top tip for you incoming........ When you unlock the second core, dissable cool n quiet, as for some reason this hinders the unlocking process on the sempy processors :thup:

Top tip for you incoming........ When you unlock the second core, dissable cool n quiet, as for some reason this hinders the unlocking process on the sempy processors :thup:

Didn't even think to mention this-- Very good point. C1E as well. :attn:

Actually, no need to say that cuz even before i start to oc aggressively, i always to turn that off.:D well, only enable it only for stock, mild oc, 2.9GHz;)

Increasing your NB nets you a general performance gain-- It should scale with your FSB increases anyways. You shouldn't touch it until after you get a stable OC-- It may very well require you to start tweaking settings again.
I find NB frequency boosts give you a pretty nice little performance increase in the fields of RAM and gaming-- For some reason a pretty noticable "smoothness" and an increase of FPS (About 2-6 FPS) are observable on my Deneb rig between 2600 and 2700MHz NB, with a total increase of about 5-9 from 2000 to 2700.
Ok, then i will need to start again. :)

But before that, the result from the testing Blend test overnight,:comp: when i woke up, check my pc,:eh?: its already BSOD:eek::bang head

So, i just increase the voltage right after that, from 1.475V to 1.5V:) .but... right now, my idle temp is 46-47C :( . my mobo temp is 39C
should i continue this?:confused: i know the max safe temp is around 63-65C but, running too hot :mad: maybe will affect the mobo, and maybe also the mosfets... well, stock cooler ya right.

well, should i stick to my last oc (3.45GHz)(ddr2-856 5-5-5-12-t2), decrease the bus speed to 259-258Mhz, increase more voltage (even higher idle temp) or continue to use my current oc, 3.51GHz with 1.5V

so i just test it with in-place large FFTs. just about 1min, goes BSOD. maybe the temp is locking me up??

i retest again, with bus speed of 269MHz,total of 3496MHz. almost 10 mins, BSOD, in-place large FFTs.:(

so, i just stick to 257MHz in bios, these are in CPU-Z:-/
004-cpu.JPG
004-memory.JPG
004-spd.JPG

idle to 100% (first 5 mins), 46C to 54C.:-/ well, still continue testing for at least 15 mins.:) will end after 15 mins or bsod, which comes first.;)

You're ram timings and speed are probably causing the problem @856 5-5-5-12.... It's rated @ 800 5-5-5-18 @1.8v

I would drop the devider on this and let it run underclocked until you reach a good clock on the CPU, you should be able to make around 4ghz with a decent cooler and it should not take 1.5v for 3.5ghz, just concentrate on getting the CPU clock up and try to keep everything else at stock as you go, ie drop multipliers/deviders on other settings to keep them close to stock. Those sempys are great clickers and you should not be struggling at 3.5 ghz.

Edit : also keep the HT link under 1000 on AM2 :thup:

Last edited:
You're ram timings and speed are probably causing the problem @856 5-5-5-12.... It's rated @ 800 5-5-5-18 @1.8v

I would drop the devider on this and let it run underclocked until you reach a good clock on the CPU, you should be able to make around 4ghz with a decent cooler and it should not take 1.5v for 3.5ghz, just concentrate on getting the CPU clock up and try to keep everything else at stock as you go, ie drop multipliers/deviders on other settings to keep them close to stock. Those sempys are great clickers and you should not be struggling at 3.5 ghz.

Edit : also keep the HT link under 1000 on AM2 :thup:
well, actually, that one is for now (3.46GHz):p. before this, i really underclocked the ram and loosen the ram timing for clock beyond 3.46GHz. ;)
HT link under 1000 on AM2... actually, im AM3 but maybe because of my ram, ddr2 based or my mobo, it is in 'AM2+ mode'. well, i will keep it under 1000 when oc beyond 3.46GHz.;)

so, for my current oc, yeb, still continue:thup: . the max temp is 55C, well because of open-case, my ac powered floor fan accidently facing to the mobo directly, causing the max temp decrease to 50C :D and the mobo temp is not more than 38C.:thup:

later on, i will retry to oc more, with underclocked ram and looser ram timing (max loose 7-6-6-14 t2, set ram volt to auto), lower HT link (below 1000MHz as keny said) and keep the cpu cooler by using big fan directly fanning towards the mobo and the cpu :D

thats fine?

Back