• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sentential03's burn in's really do work for me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I first tried this it wouldn't boot in 1,5V, then it would after a few hours of burn.
Then I tried to boot in 1.475V and it wouldn't. After some time it DID boot in 1.475V and run for almost an hour or so until BSOD.

Still got a lot of work ahead of me, but it seems my efforts have at least a little effect.
If it'll do 2.3GHz at 1.475V that's still a giant step(for me and this crap oc cpu) from the original 2.3GHz at 1.55V.

enduro said:
Hey Rich, I'd turn that vcore down a bit. Try 1.9 max for these cpu's. It's been found that 2V on air can cause damage to the cpu if left at that for a good amount of time. Keep it below 1.9V on air. Try the burning in process at a lower voltage first, so you have more head room, it's probably a little dangerous to set it to the highest value and then go down.

Hmm will do!! Thing is i'm idling now at 37'c with 1.92vcore 220x11/5 2.54ghz!! I'll keep trying this burning but if my temps allow it I wouldn't mind using more than 1.9 to get 2.6 - 2.7ghz...

No body answered whether to use 'Enable error checking' or 'Disable error Checking'....???

Rich Avery said:
Hmm will do!! Thing is i'm idling now at 37'c with 1.92vcore 220x11/5 2.54ghz!! I'll keep trying this burning but if my temps allow it I wouldn't mind using more than 1.9 to get 2.6 - 2.7ghz...

No body answered whether to use 'Enable error checking' or 'Disable error Checking'....???
Disable it, that way it runs solid without interuption

I'm up to a consistant 11 Minutes of Prime95 at 2700 MHz, 1.85V. 2700 MHz needs 1.95V to run 24 hours Prime stable with this chip.

I'm convinced now that this technique does have some effect; although I haven't tried to see if my maximum stable overclock has been increased yet or not.

This is quite an interesting result that people are seeing. I'm tempted to go and "Ask AMD" what they think - a response from them would be very interesting.

CordialSpam

I think prime is somwwhat not accurate..yesterday I could prime 248x10 @ 1.55 in bios for 4 min, tested a few things and after 10-15 hrs of burn-in, I could prime of 40 minutes..but few hours later prime failed every 5-6 minutes (tried 4 times and they all failed in about 4-6 minutes)

I am going do keep doing the burn in and see if this works out or not, hopfully to hig 2.6ghz stable soon

The variation you are seeing is quite likely due to environmental variables. If your ambient temperature drops by so much as 2 degrees celcius, it can cause an unstable overclock to run Prime longer than usual. Likewise, if your ambient temperature goes up by 2 degrees celcius, it can be enough to push a seemingly stable overclock into instability.

Hey Felinusz,
Have you ever heard of a mod to the NF7 that allows you to boost the max. fsb that you can attain using a gig kit? Ol!ver is having trouble getting past 225 (he's not in this thread), and I was wondering if you have heard of a mod that will solve that problem. Vdd and cpc off BIOS don't help with this problem, because I had the same one when I had a gig kit.

By doing all these burn-in does it damages CPU or shorten the CPU life at all? It is like playing doom3 24/7 heh

Oh and what do you mean step priority to 10? I have anti virus, aim, and Msn running on background that is about it.

EDIT: just ran prime three times after all these, failed 3, 1, and 7 minutes.. I will keep trying :)

EDIT2: primed again, this time lasted 30 minutes and I was PLAYING GAME while priming, weird lol

Last edited:
enduro said:
Hey Felinusz,
Have you ever heard of a mod to the NF7 that allows you to boost the max. fsb that you can attain using a gig kit? Ol!ver is having trouble getting past 225 (he's not in this thread), and I was wondering if you have heard of a mod that will solve that problem. Vdd and cpc off BIOS don't help with this problem, because I had the same one when I had a gig kit.
different/modded BIOSes. im using a modded bios, and can hit 250 fsb, although i cant use it because my ram is slow and i want to stay in 1:1

I can't/won't say anything about this particular technique, but the load alone isn't likely to shorten the lifespan. There's tons of people here who keep their CPU loaded 24/7 for one reason or another (SETI, Folding, etc) and have no problems.

The effect of high load on unstably low voltages may have a negative effect on life, but I can say that with no more assurance than I can say it may have a positive effect on life since I haven't the slightest clue of the physics behind the madness. However, I don't think Sen has had any chips die from this, so I assume that it dosen't decrease the lifespan much if at all.

I think I'm going to try this technique on my chip. It's one of them Palomino 1800s, you know, the ones famous for sucking at overclocking :D

JigPu

Blast it :mad:

:sigh: I left the voltage on the wrong setting when I left, so it's been restarting over and over all day. I hit 1.7 instead of 1.725V, so my results will be a bit later I guess.

I'm back at 1.775 and I'm pushing 11.5 even possibly a 12 mult. I'm not making any solid calls until I get a 12 hour prime in along with a good 24 hours of folding. My Old overclock was completely stable at 1.65 so I'm using a lot less power.

I don't know if this method in particular makes much difference from just running your CPU OC'd to the max at full load for a few hours and then increasing the FSB after a while.

Before I couldnt get my Sempron 3100+ to stay stable in Windows for more than a couple minutes at 280x9, even at 2.1V. Now a couple weeks later, after running at 275x9 @ 1.85V, I increased it to 280FSB @ 1.85V and ran it all night and now I'm at 285FSB @ 1.9V and I may go higher. Just running your CPU at it's max stable speed at full load will do the same, even without dropping the Vcore.

Last edited:
Yeah, what this burn in does will happen on it's own if you make the cpu run at 100% for a while. I had an t-bred-a that wouldn't even bpost at 2.2ghz at 1.9v but after a couple of months running f@h I was able to at least boot to windows at 2.2ghz.

Avg said:
Yeah, what this burn in does will happen on it's own if you make the cpu run at 100% for a while. I had an t-bred-a that wouldn't even bpost at 2.2ghz at 1.9v but after a couple of months running f@h I was able to at least boot to windows at 2.2ghz.
Yep, once again, dont know why this happens but it appears that I am not the only one who notices this.

I just ran this burn in software for half an hour and it actually produced lower temps than F@H. 52C instead of 53-54C now that I have my FSB at 285mhz. That guy's claims on his site are a bit much.

This will make you all laugh. I took the time to "Ask AMD" about burning in, and why it sometimes actually works. Below is our correspondence.

My email to AMD

The recent popularity of "Processor Conditioning" among enthusiast users, has me wondering why "Burning In" actually seems to affect the overclocking potential of AMD processors. I know that AMD does not support, or encourage overclocking, and that doing so voids AMD product warranties, but I feel that AMD might be able to shed some light on this mystery - information that would be greatly appreciated by the enthusiast community I am a part of. People have found that running their processor at full load, on the brink of stability (with the lowest amount of Vcore voltage they can run Windows, and a CPU stress testing program with error checking off at , without crashing their machine), causes their processor to become more responsive to Vcore overvolts. More responsive in the sense that the user experiences improved

MHz gain : Vcore overvolt

ratios after "Burning-In" their processor. Please let me know if AMD has an explanation for this peculiar behaviour pattern.

Thank you,

And here is their response. Hilarious; it sounds like it's straight out of the "AMD Public Relations Handbook" or something.

AMD's email to me

Thank you for contacting AMD's Technical Service Center.

AMD places a very high value on its reputation as a supplier of PC
processors.* Our reputation for quality and reliability rests in part
on operation of our products within the specified range of performance
parameters for each product.* AMD is especially concerned that
consumers, who purchase or build systems based on AMD's reputation as a
supplier of high-performance PC processors, receive products that have
not been altered or modified without AMD's authorization and therefore
are assured of AMD's high level of quality and reliability. Either
computer systems or data may be damaged as a result of unauthorized
alteration of AMD processors such as alteration of AMD products to
achieve higher clock speeds than specified (i.e., "overclocking").
Additionally, AMD's limited warranty specifically excludes unauthorized
alterations among other actions and does not cover damages due to
external causes such as improper use or operation outside of the data
sheet specifications for the product, abuse, negligence, improper
installation, accident, loss or damage in transit, or unauthorized
repair or alteration by a person or entity other than AMD. (Please
refer to AMD's warranty information at:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_867,00.html.)

AMD's goal is to provide our customers with the very best computing
experience possible. AMD contributes to the achievement of this goal by
providing high-performance, high-quality, reliable PC processors. To
support the performance, quality, and reliability of our PC processors,
AMD is committed to supporting our processors when they are configured
to maintain the specified operating range that is authorized by AMD.*

We appreciate your understanding, cooperation, and your recognition
that AMD does not support the unauthorized alteration of AMD products.

Hope this helps.* If you have any other questions, please feel free to
contact me.

Regards,
Jesus
Customer Support Analyst
AMD TSC

Why did I even bother trying? Are they poking fun at me, or is the guy's name really Jesus?

I strongly suggest that all of you try out "Ask AMD" at least once; sometimes, if you word your question really, really well, you actually get a meaningful response.

I'm addicted; I find that I'm using "Ask AMD" all the time now :rolleyes:.

:D ROFL... I just about spit my OJ all over my monitor when he called himself Jesus... LOL. I wonder what Intel will sign with, GOD perhaps?

Jesus is a name that is commonly used in south american countries?

Too bad conservative Christians are predominantly in the South and shun technology (not to mention evolution), because AMD could totally use this to increase their market share. I mean, Jesus does the work of God or something, right? And he's working for AMD? That should tell you something. Intel users are heathens.

Jesus is the son of god, but it goes a little deeper then that to explain.

Alacritan's new theory

Jesus=holy=good=AMD spokesperson= either AMD good or spokesperson good= AMD good= AMD holy -> Intel= Anti AMD= evil incarnate (bad ;) ).

:D what do you think?

Oh, btw, I live in the South, am very Christian, and love my technology and politely disagree with evolution ;)

Back