• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serial Keys for PS3 games: The price we might pay for Sony's stupidity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not saying they should just give up or not do this. I'm saying they are doing it for other reasons. I can't put it any more simple as that.

I'm repeating what I've been saying in my past posts. So, all I can ask is if you read them again. Not going to type this out 10 different times and word it differently.

It could be they are doing it for other reasons. But thats just speculation we can't read minds so knowing their motives is just guessing :)

I say its because aliens took over Sony and they are using the extra money to finiance the invasion of Sweden :)

Wow, this will make their system so much more secure!! I don't think they understand what these people(hackers) want, they want a challenge. Sony removed the OS support and look what happened, people were getting what they needed with that and never really felt the need for hacks or mods. Once they removed it people began to prod and experiment with the security and look what happened. IMO this is a backwards move if it is true and think that they really need to re-think their approach.

EDIT: I also see this being aggressively backed by publishers due to the effect it will have on the used game market.

Hackers want a challenge? There was no challenge. The key was stolen/removed from the company. What they need to do is spend some time and money on internal security

Hackers want a challenge? There was no challenge. The key was stolen/removed from the company. What they need to do is spend some time and money on internal security

While yes maybe they should. I just don't get how the victem is the evil party?? hacked or robbed... they are responding to a crime commited agenst them no?

hacked or robbed... they are responding to a crime commited agenst them no?
They are, but it would be like putting door latches on a glass door. It provides some security, yes, but someone that is determined to get in will just kick it down or break the glass. There are other methods that would be far better. Like using a bolt lock or making the door more secure.

The point is, this is a bit extreme and useless.

The point is, like anything else, if your not happy with it, simply don't buy it. Problem solved.

I personally don't own a ps3, but if I did that would be the last Sony product or gaming system I ever bought from them. A lot of companies try and and control the consumers decisions, if consumers would quit buying their products companies would reevaluate their decisions.

As a Plus subscriber and as a PS3 owner with a very large game (physical/digital) collection....

I would not purchase games requiring me to input a darn key code. My machine is legit and I do not have no intentions to rudely fondle the machine.
Keys would annoy me and my wife to no end. Since it is very clunky and cumbersome how the input method is on the PS3. It would be easier to just not buy any more content.. Taking the machine off the WAN side and see how it runs Linux or whatnot. Rudely fondling the machine.

I regret selling off the unused 360 that was collecting dust.

Sony could make so much more money By doing what MS does. Just randomly scan for "hacked games/consoles" and Ban the console. nothing else. Cause you know people will just go buy a new 360/PS3 (and the game they were playing) If Just there console gets banned. It has been working for MS for years.

Sony could make so much more money By doing what MS does. Just randomly scan for "hacked games/consoles" and Ban the console. nothing else. Cause you know people will just go buy a new 360/PS3 (and the game they were playing) If Just there console gets banned. It has been working for MS for years.

Exactly.

Sony's angle is all about getting more profits by making it impossible to buy used games, it's as simple as that.

Why do you think marketing budgets are so high whilst game demos are becoming less and less common? A lot of games companies want you to commit to buying a game based on hype and cherry picked footage alone.

It all stems from games becoming a mass market entertainment medium over the past 5-10 years.

Exactly.

Sony's angle is all about getting more profits by making it impossible to buy used games, it's as simple as that.

Why do you think marketing budgets are so high whilst game demos are becoming less and less common? A lot of games companies want you to commit to buying a game based on hype and cherry picked footage alone.

It all stems from games becoming a mass market entertainment medium over the past 5-10 years.

They should come up with a steam like system for the PS3. Much easier and less moronish.:mad:

They should come up with a steam like system for the PS3. Much easier and less moronish.:mad:

They already have a digital content delivery system in place. The PSN is not the greatest, but there is a number of titles for sale on/in it. Then there is Plus, sales and other tid bits.

Not exactly like Steam, but the same principle. I can move transfer games to a PSP (If I had one) and move my digital content between PS3 consoles.

:D

They already have a digital content delivery system in place. The PSN is not the greatest, but there is a number of titles for sale on/in it. Then there is Plus, sales and other tid bits.

Not exactly like Steam, but the same principle. I can move games to a PSP (If I had one) and move my digital content between consoles.

:D

Then why even sell games at stores?

Not everyone wants to buy the games digital, or the content simply is not available in the PSN. Or connection restrictions. i.e.- Caps, low speeds and such.

Downloading a BluRay worth of content is not all the groovy... Even though I have a fast connection. I would not rather download a 20+gig game.

I downloaded DC Universe online... It took me a long time to download. Plus all the patches... Sony's PSN network is butt slow... Not as bad as it used to be, but still appalling.

There is a lot of really fun games in the PSN... Most of them are reasonable and not huge in size. I download a lot of games in the PSN if it is a good deal and a fun game. for example. My wife is hooked on Angry Birds. Which she is playing as I type this.

Last edited:
Not everyone wants to buy the games digital, or the content simply is not available in the PSN. Or connection restrictions. i.e.- Caps, low speeds and such.

Downloading a BluRay worth of content is not all the groovy... Even though I have a fast connection. I would not rather download a 20+gig game.

I downloaded DC Universe online... It took me a long time to download. Plus all the patches... Sony's PSN network is butt slow... Not as bad as it used to be, but still appalling.

There is a lot of really fun games in the PSN... Most of them are reasonable and not huge in size. I download a lot of games in the PSN if it is a good deal and a fun game.

They need to learn that Free PSN Is not the way to go. I like MS atleast they got some better servers.

There is two levels of PSN, like the Silver and Gold of the MS side of the coin. They call Gold, Plus. The free is just as you would expect. It works and bare bones. Though most of the multi titles are free to play on the PSN. DCUO is a pay to play game.

I am biased, since I have a speedy connection. There is a few of us PSN users who gripe about how slow it is, but it is not that bad for an average connection. I downloaded the DCUO game, which was over 15gigs in about 5 hours.

I had a 360, but there was more titles on the PS3 side of things. Where i sort of left the 360 idle and unplugged. So I sold it off. Each one has its perk and drawbacks.

Sony has a much better movie selection and using it for media of the like. Renting and buying movies off the PSN. (Dude they have Godzilla :D ) Which is one reason I used the PS more. I tried the Hulu Plus. It worked as I expected, but no interesting content IMO. My wife won't let me crunch with the PS3, saying she does not want to foot the light bill having the machine on all the time. PS Home would be ok, if I was more social. When I did pop into that, looked like folks enjoyed it and were amused using it.

If sony went the tiny bit extra. The PS3 would be a kickass console. But greed is always present using it...

Last edited:
Is not "Sony's stupidity" Is more like people stupidity when trying to heavily hack consoles leaving them with no option. Welcome to PC.

Well, in a few ways Sony is stupid. They have had two bad rounds of firmware updates in a very short time.

One bricked the HD, the other bricked the machine. Darn near back to back too.

Is not "Sony's stupidity" Is more like people stupidity when trying to heavily hack consoles leaving them with no option. Welcome to PC.

I suppose rootkits on music CDs wasn't stupidity on Sony's part?

We all know piracy is a problem, but it's not as massive as some would like you to think, they're not all lost sales.

This is just an attempt to maximise profit margins, that is all.

Back