• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serial Keys for PS3 games: The price we might pay for Sony's stupidity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I read about this a few months back that they could come put with something like this, it's a slap in the face of the legit minority who are not interested in hacking there systems. I mean if you want a game cheap chances are it's in a bargain bin by 5 from launch at best if you look around.

Unfortunatly it was going to happen sometime the hack of the PS3 and we'll have to see where it now goes.

It's a slap in the face of the legit minority who are not interested in hacking there systems
I very much doubt that you are in the minority. If you were, they would be losing so much money from the system, it would be discontinued or some other form of extreme DRM would be created. I would say the people that are out there to steal games is in the small minority.

I mean if you want a game cheap chances are it's in a bargain bin by 5 from launch at best if you look around.

There is a lot of cheap games in the PSN. Don't have to make the hassle of driving to Best Buy even. Heck, the Plus subscription has more than paid for itself. 80% of the "free games" in it are junk, but that has been loads of fun, with the demos and a few games that they gave out. I play the heck out of a few of the games/minis I got off the PSN-Plus. it is the left over 20% that I really enjoyed.
Just miffs me, when they add one game in that week, and it is not a deal or discounted. Dead Space 2 being my gripe.. 60 bucks and the only game they offered... Come on..
The week they offered all the chapters Sam & Max was a good time indeed.
\
I very much doubt that you are in the minority. If you were, they would be losing so much money from the system, it would be discontinued or some other form of extreme DRM would be created. I would say the people that are out there to steal games is in the small minority.

A very small minority I would assume.

In comparison to the other 'this gen' consoles out there. PS3 is not all that big. In terms of market saturation.

Last edited:
*rainless hat on*

What if they did this on purpose? The system was unbreakable for so long, maybe this is just a ploy to drive console sales. Release a master key that lets criminals pirate games, get a bunch of consoles sold, then laugh as the PS3 stops working with anything signed by that key after a certain date.. And all the kiddies end up buying real games.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was true. Although really the only thing stopping you from continuing to play hacked game is if you have a desire to play on PSN, if you just want to play the single player of the games then it doesn't matter how many updates they put out as anyone interested will continue to use a hacked CFW @ 3.55.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was true. Although really the only thing stopping you from continuing to play hacked game is if you have a desire to play on PSN, if you just want to play the single player of the games then it doesn't matter how many updates they put out as anyone interested will continue to use a hacked CFW @ 3.55.

Not if there's a deeper hardware level to step in and ruin things.

PSN+Online play is still possible using CFW 3.55 (kmeaw), by using the dev_blind app to temporarily flash to OFW 3.56. Flash back to CFW 3.55 -before- turning the console off/unloading the ap, otherwise you're stuck with OFW 3.56.

Still no fix for Waninkoko bricks, or downgrading from OFW 3.56, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Finally Sony 'fixed' the DNS trick lol.

I'm still running OFW 3.15 so I can use Linux on my fat 60gb... Haven't really been any games that have come out lately that compelled me to update beyond this point :) So I've just been using it for linux experiments (hate the OS, but may as well try learn it), and to play the odd ps2 game... Just ticked over the 180hour mark on FFX - devising new strategies for killing Penance without Zanmato :D:blah:

Last edited:
Back