• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Question: Which Software App To Measure CPU Temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreatUSA

Hi,

I know this community is filled with computing experts so I wanted to hear your opinions on which app to use.

I'm currently running the app called "HWMonitor", but I just want a 2nd app I can run to verify that it's giving me the correct temperature.

For example, "HWMonitor" may be giving me an incorrect temperature reading, but I wouldn't know if I only use "HWMonitor" to measure temperatures... :confused::confused:

Thanks!

Which temp do you believe is incorrect? HWmonitor is the gold standard, you could try coretemp or openhardwaremonitor but I honestly haven't seen an erroneous result with it.

I use hwinfo for routine monitoring. If doing OC then I use XTU or Ryzen Master according to the CPU.

Is there a temperature measuring app I can use that's made by Intel or Microsoft?

I just want an app that's safe and doesn't contain malicious code.

Is there a temperature measuring app I can use that's made by Intel or Microsoft?

I just want an app that's safe and doesn't contain malicious code.

These *are* safe, hwinfo/hwmonitor is what people use; if you insist on using a utility like that use one from your motherboard mgfr or XTU

Is HWINFO linked to HWMonitor? The names are similar...?

To make it easier for you, this is what I'm using: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

- - - Updated - - -

I searched, but I don't know what "motherboard mgfr" or "XTU" means?

XTU is "Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility"
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

What I meant by motherboard mgfr is your motherboard manufacturer, each one: Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, others all have a dedicated overclocking utility that will pull that information. If yours is an OEM prebuilt machine then your only options are XTU, HWinfo or HWmonitor or a similar open source utility. The one you linked is HWmonitor which is what I am using on my Alienware 13r3. It's safe, works quite well and gives very accurate information on a wide range of PCs including Macs in Bootcamp

Back