• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server 2008 Won't Load Drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Like the title says, I can't load drivers in Server 2008. I'm trying to use a SATA card with my server (I had 2008 installed on it then the IDE drive died) but it won't go to drive select. I'm able to boot off of this SATA card, it is supposed to be compatible with 2008, and I can see any drives I attach to it in the BIOS.

Anyone have ideas? Motherboard BIOS is up to date, this is the third SATA card I've tried. They all got to the same point.

Also, I've tried Ubuntu Server 12.04 and it installs fine, but when it reboots it goes to a flashing cursor on a black screen. Can't run Server 2003 because it only supports 4GB of RAM, and I can't run 2008R2 or 2012 because they're only 64-bit.

If I can get this thing running, I'll start up folding for the team!

Specs:
Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Hyperthreaded (4 threads total)
8GB ECC DDR-266 RAM
Tyan Tiger i7501 Motherboard (S2723 is the specific number)
Koutech PSA150 SATA Controller (Also have a Rosewill RC-212 that I can use)

What do you mean by "it won't go to drive select"? Does the BIOS recognize the HDD connected to the card, in that it's shown in the boot order options menu?

The BIOS sees both HDDs connected. I'm booting to one (with the installer) and installing to the other.

The first thing it does after picking Install Now, is goes to the driver select page and I can't get past it even when I try drivers for the SATA card.

I know the rest of the system is included with 2008 because it all loaded automatically with the IDE drive.

I don't know what you mean by you're booting to one (with the installer). You mean you pointed Server 08 to the driverset during Setup? Is this the driver package you're trying to install for the Koutech controller card...

SiI3x12R_x86_10651.zip

I'm using one hard drive as a Windows installer, and one hard drive is going to stay in the system which will be the target drive.

I've tried that driver, I've also tried the one straight from Silicon Image, and the one that came on the disk included with the SATA card from Koutech.

Back