• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Server PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Hi guys! Getting to the end now :)

I've heard great things about SeaSonic, so i did my best to stick to them. I'm powering a server that's going to have 2 7200RPM hard drives, and 1 5400 RPM hard drive. CPU is an Intel E5700, on an MSI G41M-P23. This is meant to be a lowish power, low cost, long term server. I have a budget of about $600, and i'm sitting close to the edge right now.

Anyway, the PSU i have in mind for this, since this is a lowish power system, is a SeaSonic 300 Watt PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151085 to be exact.

Do you guys think that will run for about 10 years decently? The server will spend very very little time at full load, as it's just a file/backup server. I'll admit, this is the cheapest SeaSonic PSU Newegg has, but it seems to be a pretty good bet by reading reviews and looking around. Anyone have any other ideas that they can vouch for, or any experience with this power supply?

-pokes OCForums to wake them up- Any ideas?

Yawn.................oops, just woke up! :D

Looks ok to me. What's your video? I have a similar use server (the E7500) with a passive low wattage vid card but I play with the overclocks from time to time with it. Power supply is much more than I need.

Should be more then plenty.

I just retired a 2u 300w PSU that was pushing a dual P3 OCed to 1.1ghz, dual 160gb IDE, multiple PCIx NICs, IDE DVD, and enough Deltas to prevent phone use in its vicinity.

I have a zippy 500w that has run enough systems that it should probably be a pile of charred rubble.

True server grade HW is surprisingly resilient and somewhat surprising.

No video. Using the onboard graphics. Trying to keep this thing extremely simple :) I don't like when things break due to being complex.

So you guys don't think that this SeaSonic will blow up anytime in the next decade?

No video. Using the onboard graphics. Trying to keep this thing extremely simple :) I don't like when things break due to being complex.

So you guys don't think that this SeaSonic will blow up anytime in the next decade?

Dragon is into this stuff much more than me, if he agrees, go for it. Don't see anything wrong with your choice whatsoever.

Back