• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I reattach my Hyper 212 Evo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TooOld4This

Registered
Guys,

Quick one... I was installing an SSD and some more RAM the other day, managed to hook a SATA cable around the cooler and accidentally twisted it on its axis about 40 degrees. Obviously I twisted it back. This raised a couple of questions in my mind:

- The fact that the cooler has twisted round somewhat, does this mean I should remove it a re-apply some new thermal paste?

- What torque settings should you have on such a cooler? The fact that the Hyper 212 Evo cooler is rather large, makes it pretty easy to twist. Should it be fastened down so tight that it can't be twisted unless quite a large amount of force is applied??

What the hell, am I just being way too anal about this? :screwy:

Way to anal... TO4T...

If the temps are fine, I wouldnt worry about it. That said, it sure shouldnt twist easily... No clue on torque specs, just more than what you have as it shouldnt twist easy at all.

The HS shouldn't twist easily. The screws that hold it down are likely a #8 or #10 (4.7 to 5.2mm roughly). I don't know as I don't own one, just going by what I usually see. The torque for these sizes is rather small, measured in inch/pounds, not foot/pounds. Basically you won't measure it with your average shop torque wrench. Screw driver to resistance + 1/4 turn is usually sufficient. :D

Aha. Nice one guys. I feel better for asking at least :D

Temps seems unchanged, so I'll just tighten it up a touch when I'm next opening it up.

My CM V6GT twists and turns a bit too, it seems to be a normal thing with it actually. Anyways, I found out that the V8s brackets fit the V6GT and fix the twisting issue so I made a parts request with CM and they sent me out some new ones. Might wanna see if the 212 Evo has the same kind of deal or, like stated above, its just not tight enough. But be careful tightening them down, don't wanna snap your board lol.

How I saw things happening when I was attaching the cooler:

Just a little more... Just a little more... PING!

New mobo pls. :ty:

If the temps are good, you're fine.
The cooler will be able to be twisted, it's the nature of the beast.. Good thermal compound is generally somewhat slippery.

It's totally normal to be able to twist it.

Thanks Bob, nice to know.

Aha, no fandroid, I was just going through my mindset when first installing the cooler. I wanted to make it tight, but couldn't help but think what would happen.

If the temps are good, you're fine.
The cooler will be able to be twisted, it's the nature of the beast.. Good thermal compound is generally somewhat slippery.

It's totally normal to be able to twist it.
Yes, but with a SATA cable? I mean you have to put some pressure on that thing to get it to move. It just doesnt move it a cable leaning on it, LOL!

I've had a SATA cable get hooked in the fins, you can pull mighty hard at that point.

Ive also tried to swing on one like Tarzan...that should twist the HS! We can make things up all day to prove a point. :rofl:

Being serious, I just cant fathom a SATA cable putting enough pressure on a HS to cause it to move if the HS is tightened down properly I guess.

It wasn't from the cable leaning on it. While connecting the cable I think it must have wrapped itself around the cooler and yanked it.

There is a set pin on the heat sink that fits into the bracket to keep it from rotating with the 212 evo.

Here is a video how to install.

The heatsink can still spin. That pin you mention doesn't do much, it just helps keep the bracket and heatsink centred. Rotation is still possible.

Seen this issue every now and then for years. Yours can rotate. My EVO does too. Now what force is needed? You have a NIST calibrated heatsink twist measurer device? I don't, LOL. No one knows whats right. Focus on temps.

Are your temps fine, any other issues?

If it's all good don't worry. Your fine.

Well it's coming off soon anyway, as I'm doing some changes in the next few weeks. I didn't know at the time but I put way too much TIM on during the install, somewhere around 5 times the recommended amount I think. LOL.

Ohh take pics before after.

Cooler now reattached as I was changing to a new case. I probably should have taken a picture of the CPU as was in a shocking state. TIM everywhere! :bang head But all sorted now. :)

I used Arctic Silver 5 this time, and also clamped the cooler down tighter than before. Temps are a little better ambient, but vastly improved under load. I sat and watched Prime95 for about 15 minutes and eventually there was one point when it got just above 50c. :attn:

Link to the thread where I posted pics: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729496

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Don't the screws have a shoulder so they will stop when tight with the springs.

Back