• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i sell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Rob

Registered
So looking at upgrading after selling. would these rough prices for the following be accurate. or has anyone got a suggestion on how much this should go for:

CPU - 3930K - $200
MB - AsRock x79 Extreme 6 - $180
RAM - 4x8gb 1600mhz Gskill Ripjaw Z - $120
CPU cooler - H100 - $70

this is what i would be upgrading to if the difference in price v performance is right:

CPU - 6700k - $495
MB - MSI z170A sli plus - $249
RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury 2x16GB - $209
CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i - $190

any ideas are welcome :)

You can get away with a cheaper motherboard.

Are you moving the graphics card over?

Hey Mr. Rob,

Are you located outside of the US. The prices for the new parts seem kinda high.

As for the Ram do you really need 32gb, depending what you are doing 16gb is Moore than you need for most applications.

being completely honest, it depends on what your goals are for the system. I honestly don't think you'd gain that much performance upgrading, despite it being a few generations old. I'd rather spend the difference on a 1080 (or similar) video card and you'd get a bigger performance boost than the upgrade to 6700k in my opinion.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/552?vs=1543

are the non-gaming benchmarks. You'd have to do some searching if you're looking for a gaming improvement, but like I mentioned above, I highly doubt you'd get more than a few fps more moving to 6700k compared to the move to a 1080 or similar quality (albeit there is none at this point) video card.

+1 I would stay with the CPU you have and upgrade to GTX 1080 or GTX 1070 depending on the monitor you have.

+1 Buy a new GPU unless you have GTX 980 or 980TI
you will get maximum 10FPS more but these 10FPS are not worth 573$.. Think about it yourself.

All of the above.

IIRC, those 3930k are more than decent clockers, right?

4.5/4.6GHz should be easy with your cooling.

Regarding resell value, between now and early next year, when ZEN and new Intel lineup are launched, I don't think you will lose much compared to what you would sell these now.

Back