• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade from a P8P67 to a P8V77-V for 130$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

What I was thinking of doing is upgrading to the P8V77-V and also upgrading from 4GB to 8 GB of ram. These are the only two upgrades I'm interrested in doing. What promted this that a guy from work will buy my current board and ram on it for 100$.

P8V77-V 190$ ram 40$ total 230$. But I'm getting 100$ for my old stuff which I'll put towards the new stuff. So my out of pocket expense would be 130$. So is it worth it ? I'm not thrilled taking my board out and cpu cooler out and having to install on another board. Plus I have to do a fresh OS install, not really fun.

Would you guys do this upgrade ?

P.S. You know whats funny though alot of you guys I've read before when someone asks the same question should I upgrade my board, the answer is often no not worth it don't do it. But if you check their pc details they have the latest board. I'm wondering on how many of these guys had either the P67 or the Z68 boards before. I'm not picking on anybody specify just saying.

I don't think it's worth $130 to essentially get more RAM. The P8P67 and P8V77-V are going to perform the same if you're keeping the same CPU. I would just spend some cash on more RAM, going to 8GB will be noticeable, the new mobo will be a purchase you likely come to regret, since it's not needed.

I was told for the avarage person 8GB is overkill. I know that 8GB popular and cheap these days. But for me I usually don't have more then 1 or 2 programs running at the sametime anyway. Still worth it ?

Not worth it, unless its a cpu upgrade path.

The new mobo gets you a new chipset, which is only valuable if that brings features you use.

You can get 4gb more of ram for 35 bucks. If you are never running low on ram currently with 4gb, you should stay put.

Unless its an upgrade path for the cpu, I wouldn't do it.

I was told for the avarage person 8GB is overkill. I know that 8GB popular and cheap these days. But for me I usually don't have more then 1 or 2 programs running at the sametime anyway. Still worth it ?

You're going to notice a RAM upgrade. I can promise the motherboard swap will net you know performance gains. Even if you don't use many programs, having 8GB will help you be able to open more at once and you may find yourself doing more multitasking with the freed up RAM.

You're going to notice a RAM upgrade. I can promise the motherboard swap will net you know performance gains. Even if you don't use many programs, having 8GB will help you be able to open more at once and you may find yourself doing more multitasking with the freed up RAM.

If he is not using the 4 gigs now (only the OP can tell us), he will not notice 8 or 16 or 32 because he is not using any of it.

This is all assuming that the OP is running 64 bit windows as well. If it is 32 bit he maxes out at 3.82 gigs anyways.

I had 8gb in my system but took it down to 4gb, runs faster with less ram. I used the other 4 gb to just build the wife a new rig.. P8Z77 and a Core I3 with SSD...pretty damn fast actually!

Back