• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade or overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matas55

Registered
Hello

Now I am kind of noob and never overclocked before.
I bought my PC in 2009.
Specs:
MOBO: GA-EP45C-DS3R
CPU: Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (stock cooling)
GPU: ASUS GTX 285
RAM: Corsair 2 sticks CM2X2048-6400C5 1.80V ver 4.2 (5-5-5-18; 800MHz; 2048MB; DDR2) 4GB total
HDD: HD103UJ; 7200RPM; 1TB
PSU: Chieftec 700W (Model: CFT-700-14CS)
Case: Nexus version1 Silent System (1 front and 1 rear fans)

Maybe I can get another year or so out of my PC before I need to build a new one. I don't think it's worth to upgrade my cooling on this old crap CPU. Currently at default bios settings on prime95 realtemp shows that I reach 67C degrees and before I cleaned my GPU MSI afterburner showed that I got 97C on max load while playfing Far Cry 3 o_O
I am not sure what my stock CPU voltage is because as I understand it dinamically changes.
Anyway do you think I could overclock from 2.66GHz to atleast 3.0GHz will I feel any difference in games like Arma 2/3
Or should I just build a new PC?
Seeing as games stop using Dx9/10 I will probably need new GPU soon, but is it worth to OC CPU?

I would use this guide to overclock CPU
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

Last edited:
What budget are you looking at?

The C2Q is getting pretty long in the tooth at this point, if upgrading is an option for you it would definitely be the better option.

I think an upgrade is in order, but try overclocking it first and see if it works out... at worst it could buy you time to gather a (or a bigger) budget.

You could get a Hyper 212 Plus (or EVO if it fits s775) cooler and use it on your next build too.

Today I could let my self spend up to 2000$ but if I wait until games don't run anymore like a year later I could spend up to 3000$ with sacrificing some things in my life lol :D

BTW it's my only PC ATM so I'm kinda scared to OC but I could try a light OC (3GHz) to see if there's any difference.

And how do I find out my stock CPU Volts? Intel website says range is 0.85V-1.3625V but what is voltage at stock speed?

I use Core Temp to find the VID, which is your CPU's stock voltage. Another option is Real Temp, which may not include all the junkware Core Temp now has in their free download.

Yes ATM single 1920x1080. But in the future would like to try out 3D vision 120Hz IDK what res, probably industry standart 1080p or maybe 1200p.

Core Temp VID: 1.2125V
I assume I set Vcore in bios from auto to this exact voltage before starting OC?
And PCI-E from auto to 100Mhz or 110MHz?
What voltage for RAM, auto or 1.80V?

Last edited:
Yes, set the vcore to 1.2125V. I was able to hit 3.6GHz on my Q9650 running stock VID.
The PCIe should be 100MHz. Going as high as 110MHz is good for benching, but usually doesn't help stability.
Auto should be fine for the RAM, but start with it at DDR2-667. Once you get the FSB to past 400MHz (DDR2-800 for the RAM), you might want to try 1.85 to 1.90v on the memory. Keep an eye on the Memory & SPD tabs in CPUz, if the timings vary a lot from the JEDEC table set the timings manually.

Today I could let my self spend up to 2000$
For a whole lot less then 2k you could build a really good Pc for gaming at 1080p. That said if overclock gets you to where you need to be then no reason to upgrade.

4790K is now rumored for September with the 6/2 date being a paper launch... only time will tell though.

Ok so in BIOS I have these settings:
DRAM Performance control:
Performance enhance - turbo
(G) MCH Frequency Latch - auto
System memory multiplier - auto
Timing selectable......

So my CPU is 333X8
What the hell do I exactly do with the ram if i want to set CPU FSB to 375 to get 3 GHz.
Do I make Frequency Latch 400MHz and System memory multiplier 2.0D, so that way it's 800MHz which my RAM is rated at?

Sorry but I am a uber noob at this

EDIT: So I increased CPU frequency from 333MHz to 350MHz. Upon logging in I got BSOD. Then I decreased it to 340MHz and still got BSOD, then I decreased it to stock 333MHz and Windows booted normally. What am I doing wrong here?

CPU-Z:
DRAM Freq: 400MHz
FSB : DRAM 5:6
Maybe this tells you something?

Last edited:
Ok so I think I figured it out. In my case RAM speed must be lower than 800MHz right? So I set FSB to 380 and now I will run prime95. For how long should I run it, and can I leave my PC after 30 mins of testing or do I have to watch temps for longer?

After a few minutes of stress testing it got pretty hot:
Core0 70C
Core1 65C
Core2 68C
Core3 68C

I stoped it and now it iddles at 40 37 37 40.
I didn't increase voltage at all. Intel website says that Case temp for Q9400 is 71C. So I guess I hit the limit?

After a few minutes of stress testing it got pretty hot:
Core0 70C
Core1 65C
Core2 68C
Core3 68C

I stoped it and now it iddles at 40 37 37 40.
I didn't increase voltage at all. Intel website says that Case temp for Q9400 is 71C. So I guess I hit the limit?

Yeah, that's as far as I would go until you get a better cooler.
Pretty awesome for stock voltage :thup:

Thanks. Well at least I learned the basics of overclocking. I actually reached 400FSB=3.2GHz but just as I started prime95 I got BSOD. Anyway thank you everyone for your replies. I think I will get better cooling, this OC thing is kind of addictive and exciting LOL

Thanks. Well at least I learned the basics of overclocking. I actually reached 400FSB=3.2GHz but just as I started prime95 I got BSOD. Anyway thank you everyone for your replies. I think I will get better cooling, this OC thing is kind of addictive and exciting LOL

Yep, that'll be where you need more voltage (and more voltage starts making a LOT more heat).

You could always keep it to torture after you upgrade ;)

Yep, that'll be where you need more voltage (and more voltage starts making a LOT more heat).

You could always keep it to torture after you upgrade ;)

I think I will do that :D

I also wanted to ask does PCI-E frequency make any real world difference, like few more FPS, or HDD faster read/write, boot time? Is it safe to set it to 110MHz?

I think I will do that :D

I also wanted to ask does PCI-E frequency make any real world difference, like few more FPS, or HDD faster read/write, boot time? Is it safe to set it to 110MHz?

All PCIe frequency increases do is cause instability, honestly.
The performance (minimal) gained is not worth the hassle.

Back