• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sigh, AM1.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shell

Is anyone else really disappointed about AM1?

It's not just the lack of performance, but the fact that the stock heatsink has a 4000+ RPM fan that WHRRRRRRs under load.

All AMD had to do was have a shorter wider heatsink to fit a larger fan, and it would have been perfect for low-end applications, like terminals/pos/signboards/media-players.

But with that noisy stock fan it's awful, and the mounting does not let me fit any common low-end quiet heatsinks.

AM1's only advantage is the wonderfully cheap ITX boards.

That MSI AM1I - I bought several, all worked perfectly, $40 CAD, $37 USD.

I got the 3850 just for fun and I didn't really notice the fan noise. I thought it was preety sweet tbh. I have the ASUS board with it. I was actually going to get the big brother sometime to play with. I think it would be perfect for a streamer/surfer in the living room.

Maybe you have faulty fan or mobo has some issues with fan profiles and is running it at 100%. My AM1 setup is silent even after overclocking and right now is working as a NAS. I wouldn't leave it 24/7 if it was noisy. Even after overvolting I was almost not hearing any noise from the fan.
Regarding performance. It has great performance considering its low clock. It's almost as fast as 1GHz higher clocked APU/FX. These AM1 chips have 2 or 4 real cores, not 2 modules with 2 threads each like other APU or FX. I just doubt we will see anything similar to AM1 clocked @4GHZ like higher series.

Still AMD should think about some other coolers as these APUs can run even with not large passive cooling. 25W TDP in theory but that's max for all series with worst VID. In tests on some sites I saw results about 12-14W under load for 4 core chips. Mine is working overclocked to 2GHz+ ( stock 1.6GHz ) and undervolted to 1.15V ( stock is 1.3V ).

Ya default fan profile was WAY too high, when I set it to silent, 12% min, with target temp of 40, it only gets noisy up when under 100% load. So it's generally not an issue now as most of the time it's just 1 core and the GPU loaded.

I doubt the fan is bad... I got several of these and they were all identical. It's just what happens when a tiny fan goes 4400 rpm.

I wish AM1 supported dual channel RAM, that GPU could really take advantage of that, and low-voltage dual channel 1600 would be less power hungry than single DDR3-3000 and provide more bandwidth.

I hope FM2 and AM1 get merged in the future, and leave the heavy duty stuff for AM4.

Still AMD should think about some other coolers as these APUs can run even with not large passive cooling. 25W

Ya a big chunk of extruded aluminium is all it takes to keep it cool passively, no need for pipes. For fun I set my old dell block on it and it never went over 45, with no airflow.

Last edited:
Maybe you have faulty fan or mobo has some issues with fan profiles and is running it at 100%. My AM1 setup is silent even after overclocking and right now is working as a NAS. I wouldn't leave it 24/7 if it was noisy. Even after overvolting I was almost not hearing any noise from the fan.
Regarding performance. It has great performance considering its low clock. It's almost as fast as 1GHz higher clocked APU/FX. These AM1 chips have 2 or 4 real cores, not 2 modules with 2 threads each like other APU or FX. I just doubt we will see anything similar to AM1 clocked @4GHz like higher series.

Still AMD should think about some other coolers as these APUs can run even with not large passive cooling. 25W TDP in theory but that's max for all series with worst VID. In tests on some sites I saw results about 12-14W under load for 4 core chips. Mine is working overclocked to 2GHz+ ( stock 1.6GHz ) and undervolted to 1.15V ( stock is 1.3V ).

How about this one:
http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/alpine-m1-passive.html

Or this one:
http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/alpine-m1.html

Back