• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple drive cloning/mirroring - will this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Currently, I have a single 500GB WD Green drive as the boot/OS/VM/everything drive in my server, which I plan to switch out to 2 500GB RE4's in Windows software RAID1. I want to simply clone the current drive over the the newer ones and was wondering if I can just simply add those two into the system, and set all 3 to a RAID1 setup, then remove the Green drive and change it to a 2 drive RAID1, -or-, do I just add in 1 of the RE4 drives, create the RAID1, have it build, then once done, remove the Green drive and add in the 2nd RE4 with the first RE4 and have it build and call it a day?

Best bet is to image the green drive one of the new drives, install the second new drive, and then configure the windows raid 1 software.

A little further digging and I think I can safely do it via method 2. I just need to convert the Basic disk to a Dynamic disk, which can be done to a boot drive, then just create the RAID1 (Mirrored) setup. Afterwards, I should be able to just remove the Green drive and install the second RE4.

Its an older article (from XP days), but the method should still be the same: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738132

Back