• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sleeving a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BCboneless

So I am sleeving my PSU. What size heatshrink do I need if I am sleeving each individual wire? I want 3:1 HS. Should I get 3/16" or do I need 1/4"?

I now need to remove my motherboard pins. What is the "paper clip method"? I have never seen pics/how-tos on this and I don't get how to do it. I am too cheap to go buy a tool. Help is always appreciated!

The tools are not that expensive. I have this set and they worked fine for me. Ignore the reviews; the reviewers must have been ham fisted if this arthritic old broad could use them. And one would have to work hard to break the two pronged one as shown in a photo in one of the links above.

The one on the left is for removing Molex pins. The larger end is for femle pins and the smaller one is for male pins. Just push it over the pin.

The next one is for ATX pins, such as the ones on a 24 pin connector. I found that to be the trickiest to use but not because of the tool; some pins are just a bugger to remove. I got the best results when I pushed the wire attached to the pin into the connector as far as I could and locked it in that position with my left hand (I'm right handed). I then carefully worked the tool into the hole the pin is in with my right hand until it bottomed out. Usually, I was then able to pull the pin out. Occasionally the prongs would bend against the step they normally catch against making it a real bugger to get out. It seemed to get better with practice. I can't even dream of trying to use a staple but others have done so successfully.

The next tool is for removing a single "pin" from fan connectors. I rarely used this one.

The last one (the one on the right) is for removing all of the "pins" from fan connectors. It will work on two, three, and four pin connectors. Just push the prongs of the tool into the little slots the pin prongs register in and slip pot the pins. Any unused prongs can just overhang the connector. It takes a firm push to get the prongs to go into the tool because the fit is a bit snug but it keeps the tool in place while pulling the pins out (otherwise I would be tempted to file the prongs down a bit). This tool is also just the right size for punching down wire in a punch down SATA power connector. Just put the prongs on the wire and gently tap it in until the wire just bottoms out. Tapping too hard or past where the wire bottoms out will crack the connector (don't ask how I know).

Just an FYI on this link White Runner posted. I have bought sleeving from this seller 3 or 4 times and have been very happy with my purchases. That is if your are planning on getting heat shrink there.

I have red sleeving and black sleeving. Any ideas on how to pattern them? Should I do every other wire red/black over and over?

I have red sleeving and black sleeving. Any ideas on how to pattern them? Should I do every other wire red/black over and over?

Honestly I would look at what others have done to figure out a pattern you like... I'm currently doing a blue/black theme; I preferred a blue strip (3-5 wires) in the middle with black on the outer wires over alternating... red/black to me would look the same but YMMV; look at pics, lay out a design you have in mind and most of all, post pics!

It's all personal preference BC I like the look of half/half and also first top and bottom 4 red next top and bottom 4 black then red again or vice verse black red black.

So I need to get my molex connectors off. I have got everything else, but I can't for the life of me get those things off. What tool/random-thing do I need? Pictures/tutorial would be appreciated! (I am a total noob at this)

Attachments

• molex.JPG
    molex.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 240
I was really busy the last week, but I am getting back into my project. It is really turning out well! here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4495.JPG
    IMG_4495.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4498.JPG
    IMG_4498.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_4499.JPG
    IMG_4499.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 215
hahaha well I was having so much trouble I went out and bought a tool to do it.

I still cant get my female molex pins off though. I will have to figure those ones out.

Back