• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK900A Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ksharp

Registered
My motherboard recently died, so i bought a new one and took it to a repair shop to have them install it for me. I thought while i'm at it i'll get a new heatsink/fan and thermal compound since my cpu was overheating. I have the Athlon XP 1800+ and it was idleing at 55-60C and would even hit 70C during games. I had a Volcano 7 on it with a generic fan with no compound.

So i did some research and found that the SLK900A was a good heatsink.

So i bought this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-011&depa=0

This: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-999-113&depa=1

and some artic silver.

The guy who was fixing my comp said that it mounted on my cpu fine but there was no way to connect it or something. I dont really have alot of experience installing hardware so i took his word for it. I have an Abit-NF7 nForce motherboard. Is this true? does it not go with my motherboard? or did he just not know how to put it on?

if so, are there any kind of instructions for installation on the web anywhere? none came with it. Just the heatsink and a bag with some sort of metal pieces.

As of right now, i have my old heatsink(Volcano 7) on, but with th new case fan on it. I also have the artic silver in there. The cpu now idles around 48-49C and hits around 55C while playing games. Will the other heatsink make that much of a difference?

wait wait wait, did you sayd you had your heatsink on without thermal compound when it was overheating??? If you didnt have any thermal grease on no wonder it was overheating. Never turn your computer on without a heatsink and thermal grease.

Ksharp said:
The guy who was fixing my comp said that it mounted on my cpu fine but there was no way to connect it or something. I dont really have alot of experience installing hardware so i took his word for it. I have an Abit-NF7 nForce motherboard. Is this true? does it not go with my motherboard? or did he just not know how to put it on?

The SLK900A WILL fit on any NF7 board...it mounts on just like your V7...so if this person doesnt know how to install a normal heatsink...I wouldnt really trust them touching my case let alone install a motherboard...

BTW - I run a SLK-900A on my NF7-S...

Er, yah, I also have a SLK900A on my NF7-S.

glock19owner,

how do you get such high oc with air cooling?

Back