• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small Beast based on i5 2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IF you tend to lose things, modular is not a good idea. LOL

But yeah modular makes for a much cleaner case and better airflow.

There are products on the market now, as well as intel SSD caching that could have you running anyold 7200RPM HDD, and use a small cheap SSD for caching, so boot and most frequently used apps would be fast as SSD, but you dont have to worry about how much data is getting stored on the SSD, etc
Hi Neuromancer,
Yes things do go missing around here alot.
I will believe the SSD will see use as a cache.
Thanks

True, I've recently misplaced the bag of cables for my modular SuperFlower PSU..... I can't for the life of me figure out where in the house it is.... It's driving me nuts!

Parts are on order!
Now a long waiting game for a 7870 GPU,but, I will run with the onboard graphics until it comes in. Of course that's assuming the rest of the items ship without delays.
Tom

Small Beast plan X +1

I did a fair amount more reading and some more along with the desire to keep this build for a few years with eventually adding displays and another GPU go PCIe 3.0 and Ivy Bridge. The 560 is just to get system up and me playing until the next wave of budget comes along. This beast is hungry. (Not that I did anything to feed it!)

Questions about the on-board Graphics of the 2500k.

1. I read where the onboard will support two monitors by sharing memory?? Does this mean that I can have three monitors with the one GPU?

2. If I put a second different GPU in with out SLI can I run a monitor off of it?

3. There are 6 fan connectors on the MB CPU 1 (3 wire), CPU 2 (4 wire) , Cha 1 (4 wire), Cha 2 (3 wire) Cha 3 (3 wire) & Fan Pwr (3 wire).

4. I plan to run the H80 using it's own controller for the CPU.
Fan locations are 1 Front, 1 Rear (H80), 1 Bot, 2 Top.
What connections would go best on each fan and what direction would the fans face for optimum cooling?

Comment: The #of fans is based on removing the heat whatever the load and prolonging the life of the components and for the next GPU/GPU's and overclocking.

What do you think?

Here is the build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler with 2 120 mm fans
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Ram: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Legacy HDD: WD 160 Gb IDE 7200 RPM
GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel
Card Reader: Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port
DVD Burners: (2) one from old build and one new.
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers
Wireless: Rosewill RNX-N180UBE USB 2.0 External 5dBi Antenna Wireless Adapter
Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260-BK Black USB or PS/2 Wired Standard 24 Keys Anti Ghosting Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: GIGABYTE GM-M8000X Rubber Black 7 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse
Windows: MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
MS Office : Office Home and Student 2010
Grounding: Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap
Thermal Grease: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Fans: 4 Cougar 120mm Vortex Life 300,000 hrs, 1 120 mm Blue (With Case)
Cables: Mini HDMI to HDMI

Thanks for your past comments and I look forward to more.

Don't use the onboard. It has to share memory, like you said, with the GPU, so it ends up slowing it down. The GTX560 will drive two monitors, you can throw in another really cheap GPU to drive a third. Or, if you get a 6870 instead, that can drive three monitors on its own.

You don't really need the extra fans.

Don't need thermal grease either, cooler comes with one. If you want to get some in case you need to remount, get some MX-4. AS5 is a rather old design and doesn't have many of the features that modern paste does since it's metal based.

Back