• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small case for my specs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

Okay, so hello guys again! You have helped me to build my own PC, which I decided on the parts because of your wonderful help. Now I am selling the components of my old PC to my brother. I am selling everything except the case, and the drives. I am asking for help to pick the smallest case and good quality drives! Thank you!

My specs are:

H81M-S2PV - motherboard

GTX660 - Graphics card

Corsair 550VS - Power supply

CPU cooler - standard low profile intel CPU cooler

I think that is all you need to know guys?

So I am planning to buy the smallest case possible for these specs, CD/DVD drive, an SSD(120GB) and a HDD(500GB/1TB). Can you guys recommend all of them for me? Thank you very much!

*to note*: I don't really want some fancy DVD blu ray for 5000 pounds, but a cheap one that won't break after first time would be fine, you know?:)

Fractal Design Core 1000
840 EVO for SSD
WD Blue for HDD

Do you even need a DVD drive?

Fractal Design Core 1000
840 EVO for SSD
WD Blue for HDD

Do you even need a DVD drive?

That is kind of a stupid question :p. Which PC doesn't need a CD/DVD drive? How am I going to run any kind of CD/DVD ? For example windows haha.

Windows can be installed via a USB stick.

Past that, how much do you honestly use the DVD drive?
Grab an external DVD drive, stick it in the nearest drawer, and forget about it until you actually need it.

Can you install windows using the external DVD drive? I heard that sometimes windows has trouble booting the USB right that the start. I mean booting from start up a CD will be possible with the external one?

I ment: Can you install windows with the external DVD drive. Yes it is USB but the drive connects with USB, and my windows is windows 7. Btw: I have an original Win 7 disc, with a code on my computer case. Can two people use the same disc at once if they both type the code in?

That depends what type of license it is.
I'm assuming OEM, since it's stuck to the case. That would be a no, it only activates for one computer at a time.

And is my motherboard ATX/ITX or what is it? because I can't find anything on the H81M-S2PV. And I think the Fractal Design Core 1000 support ITX? or am I wrong.

Thanks for your help I think I might get the SSD/HDD and the case, they seem good I will just consult my brother and check :) The only thing I don't like is the power supply at the top, and only 1 fan included I think, but that should be fine :)

Don't know what your exact budget is, but a Core 1500 (40 pounds) would address both of those dislikes for barely more money :)

I initially went to the Core 1000 because it's small and cheap, which seems to be what you're looking for.

Other cases that would be good:
- Corsair 350D (75 pounds)
- Corsair Air 240 (70 pounds)
- Fractal Design Define MINI (55 pounds)
- Fractal Design Arc MINI (70 pounds)

Just to give you some other options Exteez, the Thermaltake A30i is about the smallest case to fit you needs. It's built to be a small LAN box with Big power.

Last edited:
That is kind of a stupid question :p. Which PC doesn't need a CD/DVD drive? How am I going to run any kind of CD/DVD ? For example windows haha.

It isn't a stupid question. Most of us no longer use optical drives, and haven't for years now. Any software that comes with hardware has drivers that you can get the latest versions of online. Windows can be downloaded to a USB stick and installed from there. You can get all your games via digital distribution...

It isn't a stupid question. Most of us no longer use optical drives, and haven't for years now. Any software that comes with hardware has drivers that you can get the latest versions of online. Windows can be downloaded to a USB stick and installed from there. You can get all your games via digital distribution...

Yes but windows comes on a CD, how am I going to boot it up straight away if I don't have anything installed on my PC..

BTW. The first case that you guys proposed was Fractal Design core 1000. That is the budget of the case I am looking for. The diameter of the case needs to be the smallest possible and still fit my H81M-S2PV. I would appreciate you guys sending me a couple in the price range of the Fractal Design core 1000 but the Diameter/dimension (idk, the D basically haha) a bit smaller or the same at worst.

Thank you!

A little Newegg research also produced this case, pretty cheap, decent looking construction and small. I've never used this case, but reviews on it seem decent. Of course, for another $8 you can get the FD case already recommended.

A little Newegg research also produced this case, pretty cheap, decent looking construction and small. I've never used this case, but reviews on it seem decent. Of course, for another $8 you can get the FD case already recommended.

Needs to be available in Europe. Is it?

Back