• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So i just got a 19" lcd:o

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickmckay

Disabled
The catch is, it has a broken casing and broken base. But other than that, it still works. I PMed Capt. Slug to see if he would mod it for me to look cool again, but just incase he is too busy/doesnt want to, I need to know some ideas on how to mod this baby. I was thinking, making a new casing out of acryllic, and hanging it from my wall, or possibly making a support to hang from my shelf.
Any chance I can zap myself, or screw stuff up by takin it apart?

Monitors are usually pretty dangerous, LCD less so, because of how caps can hold charges for years. Always use the one hand rule (only use one hand to touch components, using two can allow a current to pass over your heart and stop it). An acrylic case would be sweet. Check out the project Tsunami to get some ideas.

w00tage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

are lcd's easier or harder on your eyes than CRTs?

LCD's are generally considered inferior gaming monitors because of their low refresh rates. It's only been recently that the refresh rate of the typical LCD monitor has begun to approach the 75 Hz that has been a CRT standard for years. I personally dislike the viewing angles, the fact that they have to be viewed form certain angles and only have a 120-150 degree window. Otherwise, that's it. LCD's aren't that bad, just pricey, and I'm pickey.

yes you should make the new casing out of plexi and take off all the old casing... that would look sweet!!!!

i am a CRT fan, after an hour of my cousins 19 lcd my eyes wear dry and gelt as if they were going to fall out. no idea why, there supposed to be easier on the eyes.

Lexan, Acrylic, cardboard. :p

I just bought a 19" LCD monitor 2 days ago to replace my CRT, and I think it great! But I think there is a trade off. A CRT monitor has a slightly sharper picture but the LCD I got has a tremendous amount of color compared to a CRT. Plus the 16ms response time, 140-140 degree and the 85 hertz at 1280 X 1024 resolution makes it better than my Samsung CRT.

Absolute Zero said:
LCD's are generally considered inferior gaming monitors because of their low refresh rates. It's only been recently that the refresh rate of the typical LCD monitor has begun to approach the 75 Hz that has been a CRT standard for years. I personally dislike the viewing angles, the fact that they have to be viewed form certain angles and only have a 120-150 degree window. Otherwise, that's it. LCD's aren't that bad, just pricey, and I'm pickey.

Thats like the bottom line cheapy no name ones. I got 2 KDS LCDs one 19in and one 15in. They both are 2 yrs old and have 75Hz. I have never had probs with gaming. I love it, so much easier haulin my rig to lans. I only take one trip and I am not worring about dropping stuff like if I tryed that with my CRT.

subtotal said:
hmmm, lcds have no depth. CRTs have the advantage when it comes to 3D!

Sorry but depth of CRTs has nothing to do with 3D. In simple terms CRTs have a type of light tube (nothing like cathodes or like in LCDs) that shoots up to the glass and thats how you see the image. The reason for the depth is that the image gets bigger the further from the tube. Its like a "<" so depth of monitor has nothing to do with it because you are seeing the image right up on the glass and not past it. ;) If you want more in depth detail google it or check some of the older Maximum PC mags, its in them too.

Absolute Zero said:

lmao, refresh rate doesn't matter with LCD's. You might be confusing refresh rate with response time. Response time is not an issue with modern LCD's any more. Most LCD's are 25ms and under. They also aren't pricey any more, have you checked the prices lately? You can get a 17" (remember that's viewable) LCD with a good response time for under $350.

Under $350??? That's more than most people spend on CPU, mainboard, and video card. I can go to newegg and get a 19" CRT shipped for under $150. A flat monitor is not worth that much to me.

my $.02

depthad said:
i am a CRT fan, after an hour of my cousins 19 lcd my eyes wear dry and gelt as if they were going to fall out. no idea why, there supposed to be easier on the eyes.

its bacause you are not used to the slow response rate(not so much refresh rates), each pixel takes time to turn on and off so this slow response causes the image to smear.
in fps games like counter-strick, quake bla bla bla the whole screen can look like a blurry mess when you move your mouse around fast and your eyes try to adjust but they cant so they start aching and stuff.

`Infr@ReD~NT said:
its bacause you are not used to the slow response rate(not so much refresh rates), each pixel takes time to turn on and off so this slow response causes the image to smear.
in fps games like counter-strick, quake bla bla bla the whole screen can look like a blurry mess when you move your mouse around fast and your eyes try to adjust but they cant so they start aching and stuff.

I've never had a ghosting problem with my LCD and it only cost $200.

Tech said:
lmao, refresh rate doesn't matter with LCD's. You might be confusing refresh rate with response time. Response time is not an issue with modern LCD's any more. Most LCD's are 25ms and under. They also aren't pricey any more, have you checked the prices lately? You can get a 17" (remember that's viewable) LCD with a good response time for under $350.

i stand correct that, 17" LCD are like 230 no rebate and 200 after rebate, i live in the US so that's US dollars. hehe just j/k about the correcting part, but really u can get a 17" for 230 at my local fry, i think it's a hundye or something like that, and the 14.1" is at BB for 150 from time to time, i'm thinking of hitting of one of these baby at black friday, hope it worked. Last year the 15" was 130 after rebate at staple, didn't have money for that though :)

Back