• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So my Sabertooth came in...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for that Rgone. I didn't even think about that at all. Very good points and information :)

"bob", thank you man. I only used your situation and not you to insert some info. To get it on a server so that others coming behind later might have something to fall back on. The older I get the harder it is to remember every little tidbit that has been said across the net and how one could wade thru the BS to come to an honest 'thought' about something.

In late 2012 and early 2013 they had no less than three (3) AMD engineers/spokesperson try to say what we were to believe about AMDs TDP and temps as seen as the temp to be worried about. Best I ever understood between two of them was that the Cpu ran h0t. Well that is what I gathered from the two of them.

Tell me that they are not sure how many sensors are scattered along the top of the die and the cpu hands off one voltage to be interpretted as core temp and there is a sensor amongst the pins that hang out of the bottom of the cpu is supposed ("supposed") to be the socket temp, almost made me nuts.

So I just want to thank you for being the "man" you are and allowing me the leeway to insert such in your thread. Luck man.
RGone...

Threads are for everyone imo. If you have inside knowledge, please share it...

Got my CPU and mobo tweaked. I put overcurrent back to auto, and lowered the LLC to "high". From there I redid the voltages and now p95 stable 4.5ghz @ 1.35 volts! Very impressive motherboard!

Looks good bob it is a great board no doubt. Looks like you have a fine 8320 there as well. You may want to have a look at the NB volts in your sig they look a tad high.

Bob what Bios are you running? Also, +1 to what Johan asked about the NB voltage. I'm guessing you tweaked the NB 1.8V adjustment?

Just upgraded to this motherboard from a GA-990FXA-UD5 and it's night and day difference. The bios, layout, just about everything about this motherboard is better.

With the exception of the MOSFET cooling... 6hrs of Titanfall put it at 130F. But that's probably just because it was 6hrs of Titanfall.

:)

Bob what Bios are you running? Also, +1 to what Johan asked about the NB voltage. I'm guessing you tweaked the NB 1.8V adjustment?

It's been a while since I've had the cat out for a walk but I was running ver. 801 IIRC

Just upgraded to this motherboard from a GA-990FXA-UD5 and it's night and day difference. The bios, layout, just about everything about this motherboard is better.

With the exception of the MOSFET cooling... 6hrs of Titanfall put it at 130F. But that's probably just because it was 6hrs of Titanfall.

:)

As E_D says that's a fine temp. If using HWMonitor that would be your socket temp and it's good to the ~70c range. After that you may get throttling depending on the board.

Bishoff, missed your question about bios. I'll post that later.

And yes, I'm running NB at 1.917482948 (some ridiculous decimal anyway lol). I set pcie frequency to 101 as well.

Ok so you posted correctly. That's the NB chpiset volts not the CPU-NB voltage then. That's why I pointed it out since 1.9 is extremely high for the CPU_NB. I don't think I have ever upped the NB even while benching.

Ok so you posted correctly. That's the NB chpiset volts not the CPU-NB voltage then. That's why I pointed it out since 1.9 is extremely high for the CPU_NB. I don't think I have ever upped the NB even while benching.

I found on my killer board it helped me. 1.9 ish seemed to be the push over the cliff for stability for lower cpu voltage. Ill fix my sig, thanks.

Hmmm, didn't know that would help?

Neither did I. I was just following some guide somewhere, and it helped me out. Being a new board, I should probably just test that out first haha, my killer needed it. Sabertooth may not. Basically loaded up my old preset and lowered things to new values. Temps are great all over though, not a huge concern of mine right now.

Edit: I remember now... I overclocked my CPU/NB freq a bit, thats why. :bang head

Last edited:
@ bishoff

Bios version 2301 x64
Bios Date 01/06/2014

Reset CPU/NB and NB voltage to "auto"

1.9V on the NB won't hurt anything. I used to do it on earlier 790 boards and it seemed to do some good. Never had an issue really getting stable with my FX cpu so never bumped the NB.
RGone...

I think it may be because I use fsb and multiplier together so it raises cpu/NB frequency, and the extra voltage may help. For NB, meant 1.19, not 1.91 haha.

On a side note, I really may want to do some water cooling. I managed to post 5.23 ghz earlier. Certainly wasn't "stable" but I was only at 1.53v too. I'll dink with it tomorrow and see what I can do :D

Good stuff johan. Thanks.

Im gonna get an NH-d15 here in a week or so, or a d14 if its a good sale or whatever. The 212 evo is a good cooler, but its build quality leaves a bit to be desired. May even just go ham on a watercooling setup. Getting 5.23ghz to post into windows was quite exciting for me for some reason haha.

Back