• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So my Sabertooth came in...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good stuff johan. Thanks. Getting 5.23ghz to post into windows was quite exciting for me for some reason haha.

Oh NO. It would have been at least $$$$$$$$ cheaper to never see such happen at 5.2Ghz-ish.

I have the Xigmatek Aegir cooler with matching push/pull fans on it and temps make a solid 4.8Ghz stable for 2 hours with P95 Blend mode the limit on my CHV.

The Aegir cooler in single fan mode (I have push/pull) is rated a few notches above the Noctua D-14. There are about 5 air-coolers all rated in a 'clump' together near the top of air coolers 0n AMD cpu setups. Those 5 $70.00 coolers are nearly equal to each other or pretty darn close and way up ahead of a CM 212 type cooler.

Now I give all that background "bob" so that you do not waste your money on an air cooler IF you want to play up and beyond 5.0Ghz. Air is NoT nearly enough and most generally most Ai0 coolers are not enough to really have fun above 5.0Ghz for happy benching.

I bought an air cooler rated some better (not much) than a D-14 and 4.8Ghz is it stable. That on a cpu that will run P95 blend for over 2 hours at 5.2Ghz on my water setup. U get visions of plus 5.0Ghz dancing in your head...you need BIG water and maybe even a radiator outside in the snow for that really good feeling. Hehehe. I have had that vision as have others in here and it is fuzzy and fine but is spendsive.
RGone...ster.

Pushing the 5ghz mark? I got my fx 6300 and recently my 9370 to 5.0 on an alphacool UT60 360mm radiator. Cpu would push beyond the radiatos capability real quick though. Getting and keeping the fx chips at 5+ is a big water setup

To be blunt, I've been eyeballing the 4930k for a couple weeks honestly. As the 8320 is my main squeeze right now, I don't feel SUPER comfortable pushing these benchmark numbers.

What I can see myself doing is getting a 4930k rig going, and then getting an EK or swiftech water block and fabbing up a monster cooling loop. Probably use a self powered pump honestly, dont know why so many people go off the PSU so much. My mind is all over the place for that right now. I could build a sweet bench rig with a few high powered fans... ah plans... xD

To be blunt, I've been eyeballing the 4930k for a couple weeks honestly. As the 8320 is my main squeeze right now, I don't feel SUPER comfortable pushing these benchmark numbers.

What I can see myself doing is getting a 4930k rig going, and then getting an EK or swiftech water block and fabbing up a monster cooling loop. Probably use a self powered pump honestly, dont know why so many people go off the PSU so much. My mind is all over the place for that right now. I could build a sweet bench rig with a few high powered fans... ah plans... xD

There are always plans lol. I want to put my pc under water again but can't justify it because the air performance is just so damned good. Would feel like a waste of money. I think it's just because I like to tinker. I think I may just build a bench setup to play with out of some spare parts. .

Well the big cpu numbers are really of little value in the overall scheme of things. I can bench at least 600Mhz higher than I run daily. Simply because the temps and voltages are rather more than makes sense in the long run.

I judge my FX-8 core cpus by their cpu speed use in a 24/7 use scenario. So that makes it a 4.3Ghz 8 core. A 4.7Ghz 8 core. And one that is now in use at 4.8Ghz anytime I use it. That is a number of cpus to go thru to get a good one, but that has been the situation as long as I can remember when cpus were 50 bucks each and I normally bought 3 at a time. I have just had the fourth FX 8 core come around and am going to have to see what it will do WFO and then daily. I will get a few minutes on the overall timeline of fun if it beats the second FX 8 core I ever got and will be P95 Blend stable on my water at 5.2Ghz or more. Now if it would happen to pull more than 4.8Ghz on air which is what the one I use all the time now does...whoopee, I have really gotten into the big power realm. But it has taken more than one cpu to find such numbers. It seems always that way. For most of us semi-big number runners anyway.
RGone...ster.

I would also like to add Bob that if you seriously want to start down the HWBot benchmarking path, the 4930 only goes so far. It would be great for 3D numbers and most 2d benches but then you run out of gas real quick. The thing with benching is you need different( not new) equiptment to bench to keep getting points. Here's my list so far http://hwbot.org/user/johan45/#Hardware_Library and I'm about to start addin some Intel 775 stuff shortly.
My point is the big hardware will get you Global points but what happens in the end is they slowly dwindle away as more and more benchers run it under real cold conditions.
That $1000 would most likely get you more points with old hardware

I would also like to add Bob that if you seriously want to start down the HWBot benchmarking path, the 4930 only goes so far. It would be great for 3D numbers and most 2d benches but then you run out of gas real quick. The thing with benching is you need different( not new) equiptment to bench to keep getting points. Here's my list so far http://hwbot.org/user/johan45/#Hardware_Library and I'm about to start addin some Intel 775 stuff shortly.
My point is the big hardware will get you Global points but what happens in the end is they slowly dwindle away as more and more benchers run it under real cold conditions.
:clap: :thup:

I would be using the 4930k for personal use, not for benching. The 8320 will become the bench baby :D Winters get REAL cold in michigan.... ;)

Im getting real sick and tired of "waiting" when Im doing projects, and I need (read: WANT) everything to be as instant as possible. The 8350 @ 4.8 isnt enough, which means I gotta step it up. Barring some crazy expensive xeon system, the 4930k seems to be up my alley with that.

edit: split this into a new topic to avoid any confusion :)

Last edited:
Back