• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So now what do I do..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, I have a North bridge Bios question.... In my bios this setting jumps from 2000mhz to 4000 mhz with no settings in between, so how do you match it to the HT frequency setting of 2600 mhz as earlier suggested? Do I just put it on 4000 and see what happens?
So far, in Prime95 testing, my temperatures are now much lower.

With the FX CPUs I think you will find they won't be stable with the NB at 2600. I would put both the NB and the HT Link speed at 2200 or maybe 2400 at the most. In a lot of bioses, Both parameters are expressed as multipliers, multiples of the stock 200 mhz FSB. So, to get the NB at 2400, for instance, set the multiplier to 12x because 12x200 = 2400. Same with the HT Link speed. Note, don't confuse the HT Link speed (or frequency) with the HT Link Width. Leave the Width alone.

I seem to be making good progress. 4.2 Ghz @ 1.362 v, seems to be working. Will post results later when I am sure.
When I put the radiator out the back, I also removed with wire-cutters the metal mesh on the case so there would be no obstruction to the air flow. I will do the same where I flipped the PSU over.

I seem to be making good progress. 4.2 Ghz @ 1.362 v, seems to be working. Will post results later when I am sure.
When I put the radiator out the back, I also removed with wire-cutters the metal mesh on the case so there would be no obstruction to the air flow. I will do the same where I flipped the PSU over.

Sounds like a good idea. We're a community of improvisors around here. Join the club!

It's amazing that when you lower the temps how much electrical resistance also goes down and how you can be stable at a voltage you were not stable at before.

4.2 Ghz, 1.360v... NB/HT Frequency 2200, Prime95 still running after 1/2 hour.

Attachments

• 4.2Ghz 1.360v Prime95 20 min Passed test 2.PNG
    4.2Ghz 1.360v Prime95 20 min Passed test 2.PNG
    65.3 KB · Views: 32
Hit Goal

This is where I will hold for a while and run the test for a few hours.

Attachments

• 4.33 Ghz 1.408v 20 min Prime95 PASSEDPNG.PNG
    4.33 Ghz 1.408v 20 min Prime95 PASSEDPNG.PNG
    78 KB · Views: 33
Yep you hit that voltage step moving from 4.2Ghz to 4.3Ghz and the temps are now once again just about at the limit. TMPIN2 or CPU Temp is 65c and the 'package' temp is 55c. You may have temp room to get another 100/200Mhz cpu speed if you don't have to hit the Vcore for another raise up. Probably not until you try to jump from 4.3Ghz to 4.5Ghz. Better after you RE-arranged some of the cooling. Not bad really. Just showing for real how hot the FX processors do run when pushed.

Yes, my computer is super snappy and fast. Have not tougher my GPU and my MOH Game by EA is faster than I am while on the keyboard..... So my stupid question of the day is..."why doesn't my Logitech game controller work on my 2 EA GAMES but it has on other games in the past?" Do EA Games require a special controller or are they keyboard only?
That is what bugs me today.

Yes, my computer is super snappy and fast. Have not tougher my GPU and my MOH Game by EA is faster than I am while on the keyboard..... So my stupid question of the day is..."why doesn't my Logitech game controller work on my 2 EA GAMES but it has on other games in the past?" Do EA Games require a special controller or are they keyboard only?
That is what bugs me today.

They might just not have support.

Your best bet is to try and get an Xbox 360 wired controller or a wireless controller with the PC adapter thing.

Pretty much all modern games that have controller support will work on the 360 controller.

I did some more fan work on my computer. I now have 2 120mm fans mounted on top, blowing out. 1 120 fan mounted to my radiator that blows out of the top rear. I removed my unused PCI covers from the rear of the case and mounted a 60mm fan there blowing out. I mounted a 120mm fan on the lower front that brings cool air in from the front. I have more fans than I can connect to the MB, so I wired three fans together and put them on the system fan plugin.
The computer runs cooler than before it was overclocked.
Just to make certain my cpu is cooling properly, I removed the old thermal compound and put new thermal compound down.
With this done, I will see if I can get the 4.3Ghz that I want with decent temperatures.
I procured a wireless Xbox 360 controller for Windows PC's and It works fine....or it will when I get used to it.

Wetsuit, your are very wise to install the extra fans. The most neglected component in overclocking is good case ventilation. I push that a lot but most people don't listen. You could be my poster boy for that component of the successful overclocking experience. Guys just can't seem to get it when they put $29.99 into a case that has one 80mm fan in the rear for ventilation and can't figure out why they're FX-8150 runs so hot.

By the way, how's you're cable management in relation to this topic of ventilation. All tied up and tucked out of the way?

Last edited:
Back