• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So, uh, yea. I did this today.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

Do we have a thread for admitting to dumb things we've done with our water cooling loop?

I decided that since I actually had the fans, I'd put my new-to-me SP120s in push-pull and see how they did. Bolted everything up, powered it on with the system sitting on my desk. I'm watching temps, and idle looks ok so I'm about to do the finishing touches and put it back in its stand on the floor. Then I noticed the dT creeping slowly upwards. Normal active idle for me is 2-3 deg C. I see it creep up to 4.3 and continue slowly but surely climbing.

Case is still on my desk, so I look at it again, and this is what I see.

2014-03-22 17.30.34.jpg

Once I finished laughing it was easy enough to fix.

This, boys and girls, is how NOT to set up your fans.

This would be the rare and completely ineffective setup known as "pull-pull" or "tug-o-war".

The rings are on the intake side of Corsair SP120 fans. That should make it crystal clear what a dope I am!

I thought you were talking about the one white ring till I realized they were negating each other!

Hey, at least you're not pouring fluid into the out of the pump while its on. There's always someone a few steps ahead. ;)

Do we have a thread for admitting to dumb things we've done with our water cooling loop?

I decided that since I actually had the fans, I'd put my new-to-me SP120s in push-pull and see how they did. Bolted everything up, powered it on with the system sitting on my desk. I'm watching temps, and idle looks ok so I'm about to do the finishing touches and put it back in its stand on the floor. Then I noticed the dT creeping slowly upwards. Normal active idle for me is 2-3 deg C. I see it creep up to 4.3 and continue slowly but surely climbing.

Case is still on my desk, so I look at it again, and this is what I see.

<SNIP>

Once I finished laughing it was easy enough to fix.

This, boys and girls, is how NOT to set up your fans.

You gotta be more careful man! I heard that if you connect Delta fans like that, it instantly creates a singularity!

I guess id have to own that case to get that joke from the pic lol. funny though.

Sadly, I have also done this. Except I did it on an air cooling heatsink, a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme if I remember correctly. With that it was still able to get airflow by sucking air in through the sides, but the flow wasn't that great.

i have no idea what fans those are lol. hopefully it wasnt COMPLETELY assembled before you figure it out though lol.

Back