• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 754 A64s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
burp

So are these new DTR chips available anywhere right now? Sorry but i don't know anything about them, i need to get one pretty soon though.

3000+ DTR

It's nearly like having a guaranteed stepping. Everyone that I know that picked one of these up got something from week 501...and 2.7 on water or 2.6 on air is not at all a stretch with this processor. I run benchmarks up to 2.8 GHz on air, but its not stable in the slightest.

I was talking about the 90nm DTR chips, for Sock 754. I might end up buying the one you linked to though.

Skeen said:
What kind of volts are you throwing at it, Gautam?
1.7v daily, up to 1.95v for some benchmark action.

The 90nm 754 mobiles are going to be about double the price, if not more, of the 130nm ones. They've also supposedly been manufactured so that they like low voltages and low speeds, but aren't very overclockable. I guess time will tell.

Gautam said:
1.7v daily, up to 1.95v for some benchmark action.

The 90nm 754 mobiles are going to be about double the price, if not more, of the 130nm ones. They've also supposedly been manufactured so that they like low voltages and low speeds, but aren't very overclockable. I guess time will tell.

Really? Crud.

Guess i'll just buy a different A64, probably a DTR though.

I really think AMD is getting complacent now that they are King-of-the-Hill. To wit: the horrible overclocks on 2005 steppings, except for the Clawhammers. I mean the CBBIDs can't even outclock my 2600-M Barton at 2645. The 2005 FX-55s are maxing out at 2900-2950 and need 1.75 volts and run really hot - on water yet! I mean for $850? No thank you.

As the S754 Claws are defective FX-55s, you can understand that they can muster 2700, even 2005 chips. But if you have a S939 board, you are out of luck.

I'm just fortunate I bought my six Winnies in 2004. They all do 2650-2700 on air. And 2004 FX-55s could do 3000 mhz stable.

I will say the CAA2C 3500+ Winnies are not bad. My best A64 chip is a 0507FPMW running 2880 @ 1.62 volts on water. I hear they are defective Claws with castrated L2s.

OKay guys, I really don't know why Socket 754 is so underappreciated.
True it doesn't have dual channel RAM but in terms of CPU performance it DOES go quite high.

You can always invest in a DTR mobile chip and see how far it goes (as some have pointed out).. but I'm personally considering upgrading to a simple 3400 Newcastle which is clocked at 2.4 Ghz to begin with.

Overclocking results indicate on average that it hits 2.880.
And the best part of it all is that it's only $200 off of ebay.
The 3700+ on the other hand (1MB 2.4 Ghz) goes for only $300 and is a clawhammer.

Whatever CPU you get, you'll notice that CPU clock speed equals to faster performance in applications than the level 2 cache. For example the 3400+ Newcastel 2.4 (512k) runs better in gaming applications than a 3400+ Clawhammer (2.2 1 MB L2Cache) because of the faster CPU clock.

So imagine the performance right there, in both cases you're getting WELL beyond FX-55 speeds with only a fifth of it's price.
Besides the advantage of dual channel, I really don't see any other reason for AGP users to go towards 939. Especially when 939 is in such HIGH demand.

Everyone seems to be skipping over 754 (on ebay especially)...
Just music to my ears...

:)

All prices are in Canadian dollars by the way.

i presume the newark is the chip you speak of. and the answer to that is a no. atm they are not out, just like the venice or san diego. my sources say they will drop for retail soon, probably when san diego and venice do, as they are based on a venice core made for 754, and use 1.35v stock.

Hey you aren't the only one waiting for these chips to drop. I really need to get my hands on one bad. I mean I'm like a junkie looking for a fix! I hope they don't take too long to come out.

baberpervez said:
OKay guys, I really don't know why Socket 754 is so underappreciated.
True it doesn't have dual channel RAM but in terms of CPU performance it DOES go quite high.

You can always invest in a DTR mobile chip and see how far it goes (as some have pointed out).. but I'm personally considering upgrading to a simple 3400 Newcastle which is clocked at 2.4 Ghz to begin with.

Overclocking results indicate on average that it hits 2.880.
And the best part of it all is that it's only $200 off of ebay.
The 3700+ on the other hand (1MB 2.4 Ghz) goes for only $300 and is a clawhammer.

Whatever CPU you get, you'll notice that CPU clock speed equals to faster performance in applications than the level 2 cache. For example the 3400+ Newcastel 2.4 (512k) runs better in gaming applications than a 3400+ Clawhammer (2.2 1 MB L2Cache) because of the faster CPU clock.

So imagine the performance right there, in both cases you're getting WELL beyond FX-55 speeds with only a fifth of it's price.
Besides the advantage of dual channel, I really don't see any other reason for AGP users to go towards 939. Especially when 939 is in such HIGH demand.

Everyone seems to be skipping over 754 (on ebay especially)...
Just music to my ears...

:)

All prices are in Canadian dollars by the way.
The funny thing is, my system is over a year old now. When I first got the A64, I was the only one on the forums to have one. Everyone told me I was crazy for getting it..."wait for 939, blah blah blah." In fact, everyone seemed to say I'd be better off with a mobile Barton...its those same people that are now behind with their Winchesters and Newcastles...754 is an old, solid, reliable, and most of all very well performing platform. Everyone's been unappreciating the poor thing since the day it came out. [/rant]

That sight is scary, they have all kinds of wierd stepping codes. IE they don't match what they are supposed to be selling. And when did AMD release a 90nm winchester for s754? :eh?:

Back