• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software raid x dedicated hardware raid using "matrix raid"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

Hy everybody! I think this is not a simple question... I would like to use a " matrix raid array" Using two disks... Like two 1,5 or 2tb seagate perpendicular 7200 rpm drives... Divide them in a small (and fast partition) to be in a fast array / raid 0, and the second partition merged into one more secure mirrored one (raid1)....

Iknow many intel chipset based motherboards can do that,, but i also know that it is a software/firmware implementation of raid that is controled by the cpu.... (consumes cycles and generates more heat on the cpu)
So: I wonder if theres any dedicated controler tha can do that beside the onboard intel controller:rolleyes:

And... do you think it really matters in the 3+ ghz i7 4 cores 8 threade era? :bday:

Any real dedicated RAID card can do that. With my Dell Perc 5/i, I can run RAID0, RAID1 and RAID10 all at the same time with the same disks (different logical partitions, obviously).

This is the article I wrote for the front page. You can pick one of these up for cheap and it does 8 SATA/SAS drives. The Perc 5/i is a great card for the price.

Depending on what you are using your processor for, at the time, will determine if you see a difference. For example, if you are idle at the desktop and start writing to the disks, your desktop isn't going to draw any faster. But if you are doing video processing that takes up all the cores, you will see a performance hit to your processing since it has to do parity calculations.

Ok Thideras, Let´s see if i can post here again... Yesterday I was receiving a forum error message that could not posta at that time....

I don´t like to start conversations and continue trough PM... But... Continuing, No it won´t be used as a video editing machine... It will be used with ms office, store eventual (but not less important) data, and will be accessed by other computers eventualy, in the future, for a specific folder with small data files... With a 4 core cpu supporting 8 threads, ithink it will be ok with the intel " rapid store tecnhonogy" (aka matrix) don´t you think?

Unless you tell me that modern OS can´t use a core fore that alone!

Unless you absolutely need speed, it should be sufficient for what you need.

Back