• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

solid premixes and aluminium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edward_f_545

i was planning on adding some solid premix to a new build i am doing and have looked around to find that clear premixes do not claim incompatibility with aluminium but solid premixes often do, could anyone explain why this is and if i am wrong in saying this could you reply with a link to some solid premix that IS compatible with aluminium. thank you in advance.

thank you for your response, however i am not sure how this helps, as such a mix would surely still be clear. if my intentions were earlier unclear, i am after a solid mix that is compatible with aluminium parts, if such a substance is possible.

Indeed it would be clear liquid (unlike the first post which doesn't mention the need for color). :)

We dont generally recommend using the liquid for coloring as many have been know to stain and clog blocks/rads, but instead suggest colored tubing and basic distilled + biocide. If you are ok with more frequent maintenance and monitoring, it can be done. My intent was to share that information in case it wasn't known so you can make the best decision for your loop.

Why are you set on a solid premix?

EDIT: Can you clarify what a "solid premix" is?? I'm confused. Do you mean a colored premix????

Last edited:
thank you for your suggestions, i feel now that i am satisfied with my choices thanks to your help. (a solid premix is a liquid that is opaque.)

So, you are still going with an 'opaque' liquid and need suggestions, or distilled and biocide + colored tubing as is recommened?

Good call. You may never fully realize it but you're making a better choice.

does your loop have aluminum AND copper in it? the reason i ask is that you mention aluminum...if so you will need to take extra precautions to avoid what is known as galvanic corrosion from mixing metals like copper and aluminum.

Careful with silver biocide as you will have a catastrophic failure of a loop if you mix that with aluminum as you referred to your original post. If you have the EK Fluid Gaming kit, just use their recommended fluilds so you don't void your warranty or ruin your kit with some other DIY fluids.

Back