• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solution: Mobile Barton 2500+ and 13x multiplier and above

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, its all correct. I'm actually going to leave it like that. If I set the multi in the BIOS to "Auto" it puts it to 14x and then i can adjust the FSB to whatever.

So I'm going to burn in this other XP 2600-M that I have that I havent used. I got it at 14*258 @ 1.42Vcore - Im letting it Prime, but for how long should I let it go for?? I think it will last a while on its own without manually stopping it. Thanks.

what are you using to cool your chip mate Water,

I,ve not been on here in a year or so, see how old my sig is lol

I got a xp-m 2600 @ 2687.5mhz 12.5 x 215 (twinmoss) awaiting my new mem as this is stopping me from going faster.

[offtopic]

badge56 said:
55C is much to high. Get better cooling before you try anything else.
What is your Vcore?

/urge to kill rising :mad: :mad: :mad:

There is no such a thing as too hot! It is either stable or unstable. Yes at 55C his chip might blow a gate in *GASP* 5 years, instead of 8-10. How much do you think XP-M will be in 5 years? Also, just how many extra cycles will he pull out in those 5 years?

My original XP1600+ was at 72C (yes C!) for 3 years. I sold it after 3 years for 30 bucks. Thing still works!!

Which person came up with this 55C thing? Is there a manual somewhere I missed? Only one I know of is by AMD and they say max temp is like 92C. 55>90something? Maybe my math is all screwed up or something.

[/offtopic]

This mod rocks, my XP2500+ cooked through entire summer @ 2.5Ghz, and still cooking :D
lol, bought the watercooling kit in JULY. Still haven't installed it. Man oh man, am I lazy. It will be my new years resolution rofl.

Cheator said:
Ok. Bench that 72C chip with one exactly the same running cooler. Then you'll seewhy 72C is too hot.

No I wont.

Better cooling = more money.
Downclocking the chip = less speed.

However I am very much intrigued by your comment. In fact, I will try to do a few benches myself this weekend, to see just how much better a cool chip crunches numbers in SupahPi.

Wire mod on KT7A Rev.1.0 works

It's amazing...:D

just gave this cool wire mod trick a try and rocked a 2600+ XP-M
in my good old KT133A Chipset Abit KT7A Rev. 1.0...

Guess what? :eek:

I can't believe, but it seems this board eats em all.
This thing is running prime stable with 2,4Ghz (17x141Mhz)
@ 1,625V with constantly 35C idle and 41C max. :attn:

Lets rock'n roll.

Olio

Last edited:
has anyone tried this on a non mobile chip or via chipset?

i did the mod succesfuly on my xp-m2500+/8rda system.

i just got a tbred 2100+ that runs 2.3 stable with hopes of giving my 8kha+(via 266a) in my lan machine alittle boost.problem there is the highest multi availible is 13 and the highest stable buss is 150.so 150x13=1950,nowere near were i want to be.

so please chime n if you have tried this on a non mobile chip or a via chipset. :drool:

I had a Mobile 2500 laying around that I thought I smoked. I did the wire trick, put it in an Asus A7V133 rev 105 (no dot), and am prime stable at 2.060 ghz (20X103). Yes, this is a Via KT133 chipset. I have had it to 2.4 Ghz stable, but it ran too hot for my taste.

Here's a screenie...

Attachments

• Noname.jpg
    Noname.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,466
Last edited:
(OK, new to forums so cut bit slack if I am break any rules)

This is my issue:
I have Soyo Dragon Plus (KT266A) and AthlonXP 1700+ (palamino)
I bought Mobile Athlon 2600+ to overclock and extend life of the board... and have some OC fun like I have not had since Cel300A...
I did the wire trick from fatboy's sticky but i do not get POST. The power comes on but no POST.
I printed the picture and looked at it triple checking the location where the very thin wire is inserted into 2 socket holes.
I even tried the processor without the wire just see if it was the problem but still no POST. So, I put my 1700 back in :(
I bought this mobo back Jan/Feb 2002 so I'm certain its not one of the later versions that has the better caps for t-breds.
Any suggestions on getting this XP-M to POST?
I am looking to do some overclocking with what board supports (1.85v)
I am limited to 12.5 multiplier but understand that wire trick sets you to 13 and up.
That's what I want to do.

I am thinking of using a BIOSmod to see if adding Barton support might help but I'd hate to kill the board if it does not go right...

Any suggestions? Am i missing something simple?
please either email me or post a reply.
thanks
taco

tacoted said:

This is my issue:
I bought Mobile Athlon 2600+ to overclock and extend life of the board... and have some OC fun like I have not had since Cel300A...
I did the wire trick from fatboy's sticky but i do not get POST. The power comes on but no POST.
I printed the picture and looked at it triple checking the location where the very thin wire is inserted into 2 socket holes.
I even tried the processor without the wire just see if it was the problem but still no POST. So, I put my 1700 back in :(
I bought this mobo back Jan/Feb 2002 so I'm certain its not one of the later versions that has the better caps for t-breds.
Any suggestions on getting this XP-M to POST?
I am looking to do some overclocking with what board supports (1.85v)
I am limited to 12.5 multiplier but understand that wire trick sets you to 13 and up.
That's what I want to do.

I am thinking of using a BIOSmod to see if adding Barton support might help but I'd hate to kill the board if it does not go right...

Any suggestions? Am i missing something simple?
please either email me or post a reply.
thanks
taco

well i tried the one wire trick on my epox 8kha+(266a)/xp-m 2500 and it didn't work.i haven't heard of it working on a via chipset.i think it may be a nforce only mod.
the good new is you can still manualy adjust your multi.the only problem with that is you better have a good idea what your board(fsb) and chip(max oc) will run unless you want to be pulling your chip and multiple jumpers all night.
example...my 8hka+ will run a fsb between 150 and 158 stable and my xp-m will run between 2.4g and 2.5g stable with the voltage i'm comfortable with(1.8-1.85).so i took desired processor speed and divided by my buss to come up with the desired multi number(2400/150=16).i then set the multi to 16 per ocinside instructions and now have it running at 2400 on a 150 buss with the option to jump up to 2528 by raising my fsb up to 158. :burn:
one word of caution with the ocinside graph is to make sure to change the first option to "socket view" if using the jumper method.could be a bad day if you dont. ;)
but first things first is alittle investigation.pull a search on your mb model number at all your fav. oc forums to see what processor your motherboard is capable of.you may have to do a bios upgrade to use the modern xp processors.if that all checks out then you should be good to go.
also before you pull your 1700 back out do alittle playen around to see what fsb settings are stable if you dont already know.you can do this by first lowering your multi from default in bios,that way you know its your board giving out and not your processor.the 266a dragon plus's i played around with seemed to max out on fsb in the mid 140 range but yours being newer may differ.

good luck

tacoted said:

This is my issue:

I owned a Soyo Dragon Plus and its no hell for overclocking so I presume it just does not identify the mobile chip... it just has no idea what it is..
My Abit AN7 identified it as a Athlon-Barton but had no idea how to confire the thing. Had to be done manually.

PS... Get a better mobo for that mobile chip. The Kt266A is old, verry old. Leave the 1700 in it and sell the darn thing.

PS... Get a better mobo for that mobile chip. The Kt266A is old, verry old. Leave the 1700 in it and sell the darn thing.

true,but plan on spending another 80 to 100 on the motherboard and 150 to 250 on memory, on top of that mobile he already has.and then he is still dealing with a somewhat outdated setup.if he's really interested in a full upgrade i'd start with a modern a64 system which as we all know can add up rather quickly. :-/
depending on what he's using his system for that mobile may be all the boost he's looking for.i recently updated my lan system(8kha+,512 mb)with a xp-m and a 9700pro vid card and must admit it comes close to gameing as well as the rig in my sig.on average i would say i have to turn settings down about one step to get similer performance.
but hey,if ya got the cake do it.
just wish i did..... :cry:

Hi I have the following problem - AMD XP-M @ 2600+, MB - abit nf7-s2, Ithe MB has crappy bios so I had to do pin mod to change my multiplier, it was working at 2300MHz(11.5x200)@ 1.84V but it wasn't very stable, so I tried reducing the multiplier to 11 but the POC became more unstable - what could be the problem - bad cooling (because at high load it goes over 60C), the pin mod I have done or too much silver paste (I accidentaly put too much and now there is paste all over the top of the CPU) and it is not stable even downclocked @ 11x166.

Kolio said:
Hi I have the following problem - AMD XP-M @ 2600+, MB - abit nf7-s2, Ithe MB has crappy bios so I had to do pin mod to change my multiplier, it was working at 2300MHz(11.5x200)@ 1.84V but it wasn't very stable, so I tried reducing the multiplier to 11 but the POC became more unstable - what could be the problem - bad cooling (because at high load it goes over 60C), the pin mod I have done or too much silver paste (I accidentaly put too much and now there is paste all over the top of the CPU) and it is not stable even downclocked @ 11x166.

What do you mean by pinmod? If you mean the one that enables 13.5x multi's and up, and disables the ones below 13.5x, how could you boot at 11.5 or 11?

In any case, 1.84V for a mobile chip? for 2200/2300Mhz? Are you positive that your memory can take 200Mhz? (assuming that you are running in sync with the fsb, which you should be doing btw)

In any case, since lower multi's are available to you, pick 11.5x, drop vcore voltage to default, to 1.575V. Drop FSB to Somewhere in the region of 150Mhz. Your chip will defenately boot at 1725Mhz hehe. Run CPU Burn, see you max temps, run a whole other bunch of stressing apps, verify the stability of the chip.

Once you know that is stable, move up to 160Mhz FSB. Do same stress test. Chances are you wont make it all the way to 200Mhz FSB. Once you dont boot, or proc becomes unstable, if this is due to low voltages, bump the voltages up 1 setting. So say from 1.575 to 1.6. However, if you crash because your temps are through the roof at default voltage, bumping up vcore would be useless, you need better cooling.

In all honesty, you should defenatelly be able to hit 2300Mhz at 1.6V - 1.625. My m2500+ does 2250 at 1.575volts.

The above should work, provided that your mem will take 200Mhz no problem. If you want to isolate the CPU, consider runing memory not in sync with FSB for the time of testing, and run memory at lower clocks.

Good luck.

Cheator said:
Ok. Bench that 72C chip with one exactly the same running cooler. Then you'll seewhy 72C is too hot.

Now I couldn't get the chip to 72C in asus probe since on my mobo it seems to be a bit off, the 61C in asus probe, yet in Bios it would show ~84C.
If we average it out somewhere in between I guess true temps are somewhere in the 70's. Anyhigher than 62C in asusprobe, and my PC reboots, So the high 70's mark would probably be correct.

Anyways, radiator fan off, only pump on:
high.jpg

Radiator fan on:
low.jpg

ooooh, 10 3dmarks ;p

well the memory ic DDR400 a-data so i suppose it can work at 200MHz;). By pin mod I mean http://www.ocinside.de/go_d.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod_d.html
Problem is my bios is crap - it has 3 options for voltage - default, default +6%, default+12% and default + 14%. The default is 1.60-1.62(shown in SpeedFan) also I cannot change at all the multiplier from bios that's why I am doing pin mod. So when I run it at 166x11, voltege - default +6%(roughly 1.68V) it boots then I start 3 prime95 instances each with different setiing of the torture test, but they fail to work more than 30 mins without a failure althogh the T doesn't go over 50 and the PC randomly hangs and I have to reset it. The problem is that this happens also when the voltage is higher and the CPU grows too hot.

Back