• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some ddr3 binning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1 tip. Use motherboard presets to check how in general timings look like but never use them as final OC settings. Every memory is different and often works best at slightly different settings. Also on some platforms IMC makes a big difference but that you already know.

Some examples of shortcut if you don't know how to set most sub timings:
1. Use 2666 preset but set memory clock to 2600. Then check if it's passing tests. If not then keep the same settings but set 2400 clock and check again. If you make it work then write down sub timings and try to relax some of them one by one and test again at higher clock.
Point is that sub timings are not much different at higher and lower clocks with exception of single timings or used voltage.

2. Easiest way to set tight timings on Samsung IC is to simply check what timings are at 1600/auto settings and set the same at 2600+ bumping voltage and setting main timings to 9-11-11 or 10-12-12. If it's HYK0 or good HCH9/HCK0 then it's usually working.

3. The same as above can work on PSC but I would set timings from ~2000 clock ( or XMP ) and raise memory frequency till it crashes and then bump voltage.

Not all IC like high voltage and sometimes at too high voltage OC is worse. I would find stable setting at 1.75V and later check if the same is passing at 1.8, 1,85 and 1,9V. In this way you will find max voltage for stable work. As I mentioned earlier some of my PSC were overclocking fine up to 1.9V+ while other couldn't run stable above ~1.82V.

Primary and secondary timings are important when you pass ~2600. Tertiary timings usually not just because motherboard ( if it's good ) will set them right. You can play with these settings later what sometimes gives good results.

Finally got the asrock z97 ocf working last night and ran a few psc binning tests. For binning, am using the psc 2666 tight preset then manually setting voltage to 1.85v, tcwl=6....have to re-run the tests setting trdrd=4 but, so far 3 (out of about 8) sticks passed a run of spi32 (3 other sticks boot np but fail spi at various passes).

2400pi-1-2666.JPG

Lookin good bud, you only really need 2 good ones for benches.

Let's not forget socket 2011...need 4 for quad goodness (plus a couple spares in case I kill a couple)

Hiya PolRoger!

Testing all kinds atm (have quite a few different brands, speeds, etc). So far...the 3 sticks that have passed with the above settings are 2x 2400pi's and 1x 2300pi.

Those gotta be very yummy! Whatcha running them on atm? Tried 2666 8-12-8 tight yet?

They'll do 8-10-6 @ 2200 for 32m and 8-11-8 for 32m haven't tried 2666 on my 4770k. My 2200 Pi's you alerted me to did 7-10-7 2300 on my Fx which is pretty impressive, all at only 1.7 V. I haven't really had much time to test the new sticks out do to the bathroom remodeling project I'm doing.

PSC are overclocking better ( regarding timings ) on FX than on Haswell ... but you can barely see performance improvements :p
I could run 2400-2500 7-11-7 on FX8120. On the same CPU I made ~3100 for cpuz valid ( some old max clock competition ). IB could also make 2400 CL7 but HW required CL8 at similar voltages.

OK...re-ran the 3 sticks that passed with the same settings in the above screenshots except that I reduced trdrd to 4. All 3 still pass with 1.85v.

Atm almost everything is at default in bios (see the screens below) so am thinking that with some changes (switching freq, ddr vtt, llc, something else?), should be able to get at least a couple more sticks to pass at 2666 tight w/1.85v.

Any setting recommendations?

Also....since I want to have sticks around for platforms other than 1150 and 775 (fm2+, am3+, 1155 and 2011), any thoughts/recommendations for
a) which sticks are best for each platform
b) what binning settings (speed, timings, voltage) should be used for the rest of the psc?

Am thinking that I should be able to use the z97 ocf for binning/testing all the other psc? Have loads of sticks rated 1600-2133 that won't pass at 2666 but should be good for some of the other platforms?

Also...have a number of trident sammies to test/bin (2400, 2666, 2933) so any guidance on settings to use for those would also be much appreciated.

tia for any help with any of the above!!!
z97ocf-bios1.jpg
z97ocf-bios2.jpg
z97ocf-bios3.jpg
z97ocf-bios4.jpg

That is a pretty aggressive bin (~2666 1.85v tight)... :shock:

I like to use a variation of the OCF preset: "PSC 2400 1.85v tight" as a "quick" means of determining ~ ic quality... I'll go into BIOS and load the preset but change the primary timings to 8-11-9-28 and set DRAM voltage to 1.75v.

I'll test sticks individually to see if they can boot into windows. A more average quality stick can't do it... Then I"ll test/run for a successful completion of SuperPi 32M.
I have two kits of Mushkin #996805 and only one stick from each kit will boot while the other two fail. I have some other lower binned PSC kits from G.Skill and Corsair that also can't pass this test.

As far as I know... Quality of the ic along with dram voltage... As well as the quality (strength) of the cpu IMC along with both VCCSA and VCCIO: (Haswell) Digital/Analog IO voltage are what affects a potential memory overclock.

I've got some Samsung based kits too... So I'll be interested to see your binning method and results. BTW... I don't think the Trident X 2933 is Samsung based? As I thought that all the high speed/bin kits ~2800/2933/3000 where Hynix based?

Muskin 991805 @2400 8-11-9-28 ~1.75v.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks PolRoger (and everyone else)

Am already along the way so to speak but will be using your, woomack's and other speeds/timings for the rest of the sticks (psc, bbse, samsung). I need to go through all the great info on the 1st page again to make sense of it all and figure out how to test all the other sticks.

Re-tested a bunch of sticks but with trdrd=4 and using the spi32 air profile in bios. Now have 4 sticks (2x2 2400pi, 2x2 2300pi) that'll do it with 1.85v (2-3 of them might do it with less, haven't tried lowering voltage yet).

While trying to get next steps figured out, tooled around a bit last night.

Samsungs- tried a 2666 and 2933 stick. Both run fine at default speeds/volts but overclocking stunk. Was not able to get the 2666 to boot at 2800, the 2933 refused to post at 3000. I even loosened timings and still nada. What the heck?

Also played with one of the geil evo2 1600 sticks. Wouldn't post at 2666 but did boot at 2600 with 1.88v (using the 2600 tight + spi32 air profiles). Couldn't get it to pass spi32, though...failed just after pass 7. 1.9v didn't help and 1.92v threw an immediate bsod. :(

What Samsungs are 2933 ? Isn't that Hynix ?

Btw. sell all that DDR3 and start to play with DDR4 :)

Btw2 2x8GB Trident Z on MSI ITX board. Review soon on OCF.

TRZ_3200_OC.jpg

Yeah...I hear ya' Woomack but need to save sticks for 775, 1155, 2011 and 1150 and want to get as much as possible (as little as it'll be) for all the sticks that will be sold. Figure they're worth significantly more if I test them and they're decent performers rather than selling them as-is, default speed, etc.

No clue as to why I'm having problems with the 2666 and 2933 tridentx sticks :( Even the 2400 ones aren't giving me overclocks like I saw on the xpower. :(

Here's most of my ddr3 (have a few others to check, for example a pair of samsung green 'magic' sticks). As discussed, have already tested the ballistix, cellshocks, 1800c7 dommies, 2000 & 2133 kingston hypers, and, 2300 & 2400 pis (those still need some testing done). Looking at my notes, the 2133 perfect storms seems worth keeping.

Want to get through this process quickly now as I've got shiny, new hardware on the way and need to sell a bunch of stuff off to cover expenses. :/

Back