• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some icons not showing up in Win 7 (new install)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I reinstalled win 7 with my same old hardware.
iconnoshowup.png

Sometimes icons don't show up. Either in folders or the task bar. Why?
Here in the taskbar you can see the malwarebytes icon doesn't show.

considering i don't use desktop icons and i got rid of the quicklaunch icons (i use start menu with the handful of programs i use pinned to it), i'm not really sure. But it looks like an icon caching issue. Does going and redirecting the link to the proper icon image fix it?

No redirecting does nothing. I ran malwarebytes, spybot, kaspersky and ad aware. Just some cookies nothing there (head scratch... frown....)
Also sometimes when I open a folder the icons take 3 seconds to show up. Even though I'm AHCI on a 500MB/s SSD.

Last edited:
Open Notepad. Paste this, then save the file as Rebuild.bat then double click on Rebuild.bat

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
CD %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local
attrib -h iconcache.db
del iconcache.db
explorer.exe

Open Notepad. Paste this, then save the file as Rebuild.bat then double click on Rebuild.bat

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
CD %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local
attrib -h iconcache.db
del iconcache.db
explorer.exe

I have no clue how you know that. But I salute you, and it worked.
A million thank yous to you. :thup::thup::thup::thup::thup::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Back