• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some Q6600 OC help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cpt>hollywood

just build a new box. trying to get it set... i ran a very quick prime using small ftt's and one core stopped while the others got kinda high and the system rebooted.

i've been looking at what many have gotten out of their systems and i'm trying to stick with the middle of the road results others have gotten. here's my system.

case: antec 900
power: corsair hx620w
mobo: asus p5k-e wifi ap
proc: q6600
ram: 2gb corsair ddr pc800 (installed in the black slots)
vid: eGeForce 8800GT
HD: western digital 500gb
DVD...vanilla drive
zalman 9700 chipset fan

i've gotten it up to 3.6 with 400x9 and 1.475v
the stepping is b
rev go
slacr chip

i KNOW i need to reset my fan since the temps from core temp are
core 1 54c
core 2 52c
core 3 50c
core 4 47c all idle

the memory is as follows:
dram freq 500.6mhz
fsb:dram 4:5
cas L 5
ras:cas 5 clocks
ras precharge 5 clocks
cycle time 18 clocks
command rate 2t

i've never played with ram timings, so if anything is not right, please treat me like a noob and explain in simple english a suggested fix

thanks for any and all help!
:bang head

What does core temp show your VID as?

You need to get those temps down as low as you can before you try to get 400x9, keep an eye on your mobo & PWM temps. I would start at 333x9 or 356x9 with air cooling.

coretemp shows vid as 1.2250v

1.2250v is good. You might have to play around with VTT & GLTREF to get it stable, but I think you need to get your temps down first. How high did your temps get when you ran Prime95? I like to keep my temps under 70C. What is your MCH set at?

VTT & GLTREF?? what are these and where can i find 'em?

Prime95? not good. near 80!! i shut it down FAST

What is your MCH set at? again, where's that?

more info to follow after work tomorrow...

thanks for the replies and the help!:beer:

VTT & GLTREF?? what are these and where can i find 'em?

Prime95? not good. near 80!! i shut it down FAST

What is your MCH set at? again, where's that?

more info to follow after work tomorrow...

thanks for the replies and the help!:beer:

With a temp of 80C you need to fix any heatsink problems you have. MCH is the North Bridge Core volts. With a temp near 80 you don't need to worry about VTT & GTLREF. If your cpu was near 80 then your PWM must of been very high. With only air cooling I would try 333x9 or 356x9.

as i said, i need to reseat the zalman. i used the thermal grease that came with it, but i think i may clean it off and try good old as5.

that said, i'll check the northbridge voltage. what were those other acronyms? i tried google, but couldn't find anything computer related.

FWIW, i bumped it back down to 333x9 but didn't test it or anything so i'll try it again tomorrow

as i said, i need to reseat the zalman. i used the thermal grease that came with it, but i think i may clean it off and try good old as5.

that said, i'll check the northbridge voltage. what were those other acronyms? i tried google, but couldn't find anything computer related.

FWIW, i bumped it back down to 333x9 but didn't test it or anything so i'll try it again tomorrow

Look at the topic "cpu gtl and NB gtl settings!!!!! " it has some links that talk about the cpu vtt & gtl. I think PWM is "Pulse Width Modulation" the power supply circuit to the cpu on the mobo.

my bios doesn't show those choices. i'm reseating and testing with 333 today...i'll post when i'm done, but i was hoping for better results. i guess we will see soon enough...

No, the Asus BIOS has different names and/or options. Wish I could remember them right now.

me too...ok i reseated the fan (cleaned with lint free cloth, good alcohol...etc)

my numbers are still kinda high at 333mhz bus. i'm getting 58 57 52 50 just typing this post. without looking i think i kept the voltage at 1.424v

i realize this is well in range of the chip (GO stepping) but still. there's a kinda large spread of temps.

i'm realize the temps will settle a bit as the paste sets up, but i'm also wondering if maybe i should set everything back to stock numbers for a few days and just let it be for a while...

based on my above posts, is my RAM ok with 5:4 divider? i've never tweaked the ram, so someone please offer a suggestion or 3.

thanks again!:confused:

edit:i'm back at stock to see what the temps go to, but i'm slightly different in the settings. anyone remember what the settings are for stock fsb and voltage? OR even better, can someone suggest what i may have done wrong the first time...

Last edited:
bump... please help, I'd hate to think i have this wonderful new computer and i have to run it stock...

With a 333x9 overclock on a G0 Q6600, 1.42 volts is overkill. Start lowering your volts. I know in my case, I was able to keep stock voltage with a 333x9 overclock. When in doubt, reset your CMOS and start over.

With a 333x9 overclock on a G0 Q6600, 1.42 volts is overkill
Quite. Cpt. Hollywood, until you get quite a bit of experience under your belt, working up a stable overclock that doesn't roast the case interior takes some time. You'll get there. I've had some max overclocks that took just a day or two to achieve. Others have taken weeks to find the best compromise of speed, stability, and temperatures.

gentlemen,
i've built only 2 other computers before this one. i have a 2500+ barton that i overclocked and a 3500+ venice that i got from 2.2 to 2.7. i guess maybe intel is just a bit trickier/different. i WILL get this down...

the temps are what's puzzling me. i reseated the zalman 9700 twice and idle temps are 43 42 38 36 using core temp core 1 is also always in the red...core 2 always blue...why is that?

i know stock setting is 266, anyone remember the stock voltage?

worst case scenerio, how do i reset my cmos?

thanks guys!

3.4ghz
9x385
vcore under load 1.3280 (whatch cpuz when primeing
cpl pll 1.50
Frontside bus term voltage 1.38 (might be named different i don't know your board)
North bridge voltage 1.41
set ram per specs
disable speed step
disable C1E

reseat you heat sink first or make sure your fan is spinning max rpm..... check bios for any fan controls and turn them off

idle temps are 43 42 38 36 using core temp core 1 is also always in the red...core 2 always blue...why is that
There's nothing wrong with those idle temperatures. No time right now to read the thread to see what monitoring software you are using.

ambient temp is usually around 76. it's a hot apartment. i'm trying to remember what temps are the safe limits for this chip to run at idle and during normal use...

any other suggestions?

Well, let me share my experience overclocking this Q6600.

I have ASUS Maximus Formula, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro MODDED, Arctic Silver 5 and OCZ Platinum Series running at DDR2 960 (Its default speed is 1000 though)

My VID is 1.2375 if I am not wrong..:) I get 3.6Ghz with 400x9 and temperature of 69,69,65,65 after 2 hours of SMALL FTT LOAD. Previously, I had ran a BLEND test for 24 hours straight. I just did the SMALL FTT to check my LOAD temp.

I set my CPU Volt at 1.41v, DDR Volt at 2.14v, NB Volt at 1.5v, SB Volt at 1.15v, FSB Volt at 1.45v.

I am not sure what went wrong with your temperature as I overclock my Q6600 the very day I get it. I built my own PC and this is my first INTEL system. Previously I have an AMD X2 4400+ and it was great for 2 years.:)

Back