• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some Q6600 OC help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright. In my opinion, your case is lacking airflow due to its compact size and total fan allocation. However, this does not mean that you cannot OC your Q6600 to 3Ghz.. 333x9 for a Q6600 should be a piece of cake, considering you have a good motherboard with a good RAM to sustain the higher FSB. As for your CPU cooling, I think that you can buy an even cheaper yet more powerful HS like the AF 7 Pro since I have more confident in it compared with the Thermaltake one.

What do you think of my opinion?

Not many HSF combos can fit in that case because its a removable tray which the blue orb 2 barly fits through.

Considering im able to sustain 50c at load with a chip thats just 6w less than the quad.. I think its pretty obtainable with the current HSF.

AMD 4600 oced from 2.4 to 2.6 and the CPU at full load is 50c... .
The difference is, despite the voltage being close for both CPUs, is that a Q6600 has four cores, each releasing heat. If your AMD 4600 at a mild overclock is showing 50C at load, you'd probably have 62-63C with a Q6600 at load with no overclock. You won't get very far overclocking a Q without a beefy heatsink.

you can compare your amd to your intel all you want.. once you take the quad over stock cpeeds, the increase in wattage is more then whatever your amd runs at or will ever run at.. if you want the clocks, you have to cool it. if you dont want to spend the money to cool it, then live with what you have. if you are getting 60c load temps running it only at 2800mhz or whatever. then you need to start thinking with your wallet, and im not talking budget either.

The difference is, despite the voltage being close for both CPUs, is that a Q6600 has four cores, each releasing heat. If your AMD 4600 at a mild overclock is showing 50C at load, you'd probably have 62-63C with a Q6600 at load with no overclock. You won't get very far overclocking a Q without a beefy heatsink.

I don't know what AMD specifies for their TDP but since that isn't the full amount of wattage used but just a guideline. Considering that the E6600 at stock while in Normal operating conditions has a TDP from intel at 65w and a Q6600 is at 95w then I'm assuming that the rated 89w on the 4600x2 is an indicated of AMD's TDP. Still showing 6w less than Intels 4 cores at normal operating conditions.

I finally got my q6600 G0 (B)above 2.8 with a different BIOS. I can do 3.4 piece of cake on air, but it's too hot I think..

I backed it down to 3.0 with the case closed up (thermaltake armor, max orb 120mm heat sink) running 4 instances prime95 I peak at 70C!! i know intel says 70 for long durations is bad. at 3.2 it's barely any hotter, 3.4 about the same.. just reaches 70 a tad faster.

Ambient temp is 69F.

Think I'm alright leaving it at 3.0? how hot is too hot under load? idle temps are 44-45C

wierd thing is that stock at 2.4 my idle is only 6 degrees lower. do I just need more fans? :p (side panel off drops 5+C, I just don't want a cockroach climbing in there...or a gecko..)

-thanks

What if you were to choose a bigger casing to accommodate better cooling??

This is for a friend that only wants to use a small form factor case so the choice is extreamly limited. He already has this case and isn't willing to go to another. If we can pull just 3.0ghz out of it then that's perfectly fine with me.

This is for a friend that only wants to use a small form factor case
The friend needs to understand that small form factor requires compromises. It's that simple.

Unfortunatly the better heatsinks would require a whole case change since this specific case is extreamly limited to what type of heatsinks will fit since it has to pass under a metal bar if you intend to pull the mobo out. The mobo tray is removable.

The real problem here lies in the case form factor. It is compact, thus it can only accommodate certain types of heatsink. Heatsink is a CRUCIAL factor in overclocking, so, if your friend decided to choose smaller case, then he should be aware of the overclocking potential that he would missed out with a slightly bigger case that would otherwise fit a decent heatsink.

With your choice of heatsink, I think that 3.0Ghz is fine, but the temperature would be a little bit high due to lack of airflow inside the case.

But again, 3.0Ghz should be fine for the amazing Q6600.

have u tried using a diff multi? for some reason my q6600 did way better with a multi of 8 rather than 9.

as for the temps, there awfully high, I would never take my processor above 62.
theres probably some setting that your missing...
I have the p5k vanilla so lets see here...
try raising the pll voltage to 1.7, that helped alot
definately turn off spread spectrum
and make sure to raise the voltage ref for the cpu as high as it will let u (mine was x63 i think)
these will help with the stability but as for the temps, im not sure whats goin on...

Dualcores don't have the longevity as a quad. I base that off of the lifespan from 2 years ago where the 4800x2 was the highend chip prior to the Conroe's release compared to high clocked single cores which the 4800x2 is now much faster since the majority of apps out now are at least dual threaded. Quad thread is already being implemented slowly but, in time it will become more the norm. I have to look on the horizon since myself and my friend don't upgrade but, every soo often.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q9300_13.html#sect0
I figure for an all entend and purpose box for gaming, photoshop etc etc.. The Q9300 will be a better choice in his predicament since stock vs stock at load, it is 30w less than the Q6600 according to Xbitlabs. It just stinks that the price everywhere for this chip is $280 since it is soo new.

Well anyway that's my 2 cents.

The Q9300 will perform much worse than the Q6600. It has less L2 cache and will not overclock as good as the Q6600.

Back