• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

someone please clarify this Lamptron FC-8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cleaner450

looking at the Lamptron FC-8 30 Watts Per Channel
I will have 12 fans in my new build. I am very novice to how higher watts will effect the control and or the ability to control more fans.. Can someone please help me with what exactly it means to have a higher watt controller VS a lesser?

Thanks

The more wattage the fan controller can handle the more fans you can use with it.

Lets say you have three 10w fans. You could possibly wire all three to one channel of the FC-8.

You should check the fans you have to see how many watts they will use.

The wattage means how much it can out put per channel to your fans. Say your fans use .3A they would use 3.6 watts for each fan (Amps x volts = watts)

So you will have a total of 30 watts to use for each channel so you need to check the fan label and it usually states the amperage to see how many watts each fan needs so you know how many you can put on each channel.

If I understand your question correctly it basically allows you to place either higher watt rated fans per channel or hook multiple fans per channel.

Hooking up several fans to one channel is nice for example water cooling where you want 3+ fans all going the same speed on your radiator.

Provided you don't exceed the 30w per channel you can hook up as many fans as you need. Granted going more than 4 per channel may depend on the fans needs.

**Wow fast posters tonight, and I thought I was alone most night about this time haha **

OK thats what I was thinking... no thoughts on 12 fan case. 6 fans will be on rads so lets say that leaves me with 6 more controllers on the fan controller.. is that over kill? I think I would be left with a bunch of unused knobs... Any thoughts on a 6 channel with high watts per channel.. ?

OK thats what I was thinking... no thoughts on 12 fan case. 6 fans will be on rads so lets say that leaves me with 6 more controllers on the fan controller.. is that over kill? I think I would be left with a bunch of unused knobs... Any thoughts on a 6 channel with high watts per channel.. ?

Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme

Just be warned, if you go that route, the LEDs are bright. They are also red at 7V or below, and blue at 7V+. I believe the LEDs are socketed, so changing them out for a color that you would prefer shouldn't be too bad, and you can always add a resistor on the center leg of the LEDs to tame the light as well.

Edit: What fans are you planning to use? It is highly unlikely that you will be ok running 3 high speed Delta fans on one channel, for example.

Also, would teh Lian Li 6 channel fan controller work will with 3 fans below?

Rated Voltage: 12 VDC
Operating Voltage: 10.2-13.8 VDC
Air Flow: 65 CFM
Static Pressure: 0.065 Inch-H2O
Input Current: 0.33 A (MAX.)
Input Power: 3.96 W

From the sounds of it ... it would be around 9 watts and I believe the controller is 10 watts per channel.

Also, would teh Lian Li 6 channel fan controller work will with 3 fans below?

Rated Voltage: 12 VDC
Operating Voltage: 10.2-13.8 VDC
Air Flow: 65 CFM
Static Pressure: 0.065 Inch-H2O
Input Current: 0.33 A (MAX.)
Input Power: 3.96 W

From the sounds of it ... it would be around 9 watts and I believe the controller is 10 watts per channel.

That would be closer to 12 watts per channel so it's too much.

Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme

Just be warned, if you go that route, the LEDs are bright. They are also red at 7V or below, and blue at 7V+. I believe the LEDs are socketed, so changing them out for a color that you would prefer shouldn't be too bad, and you can always add a resistor on the center leg of the LEDs to tame the light as well.

The Rheobus Extreme has two LED's like the older models, but both of them are blue.
You'd think that with all the complaints about the LED's on the original models they wouldn't have made it more blue. :bang head

You can still switch the LED's, add resistors, or paint over the LED's though.

cleaner450 said:
http://www.crazypc.com/products/fc-2-82981BK.html

Thinking about going with this one.. Just trying to figure out why it says Ver 1... Is there a Ver 2 and whats the difference?

I think "Version 1" is referring to it being the black version. "Version 2" is probably the silver model.

Back