• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Somethings wrong with overclock...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

Hey all, well about a week or so ago, i finally got my CPU oc'd to be stable @4.1Ghz, but windows 7 kept on acting up ALOT, so I decided to reboot, Had trouble with the DVD drive making the system hang at the BIOS when the computer starts up, so I decided to reset the bios by removing the battery. It worked and got everything up. When I Oc'd my cpu again with the same settings, its either bsoding after a while of gaming, errors with cores 3 and 4 running prime95, etc. The thing is, im not sure if i had done anything else in the bios, like turning off Cool'n Quiet or other stuff. Did some reasearch on the errors Prime95 gave back and it said to up the voltages?? Cpu voltages are currently at about 1.53v.

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture4.PNG
Capture5.PNG

One thing i noticed was the Bus speed going from like 273.98-274.01 which is also making the CPU speed go up and down a bit, and also i saw the speed go up more than it was like before i rebooted. Also the CPU voltage seems to go up and down like 0.005v or something around there. The HWmonitor is a picture on idle.

Link to the post that I had the OC stable: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741792

U could go back and look at your other thead like you told us to do. I quickly see your ram is much tighter now than before.

At DDR3-1333 your ram calls for timings of 9, 9, 9, 24, 33.
You are now running 8, 8, 8, 20, 27 @ DDR3-1452.
IS this the problem? Who really knows...but it sure is a good place to set accurately to make sure it is not an issue from previous to now and your current problem.
RGone...ster.

U could go back and look at your other thead like you told us to do. I quickly see your ram is much tighter now than before.

At DDR3-1333 your ram calls for timings of 9, 9, 9, 24, 33.
You are now running 8, 8, 8, 20, 27 @ DDR3-1452.
IS this the problem? Who really knows...but it sure is a good place to set accurately to make sure it is not an issue from previous to now and your current problem.
RGone...ster.

Will look into that, the thing that confuses me is, before, the core voltage was able to maintain a 1.48v, now its just keep on going up and down, etc.. Could that be one reason why its making the cpu speed, nb speed, and the other speeds jumpy? It definitely wasn't like that before.

My CHV will bounce the HT Ref Freq slightly and that will show as about 1Mhz overall cpu speed change and it does not hinder me at all that I can see. Many do it.

Voltage swing of 0.005 is not diddly really. That is only 5 thousandsth. Nothing.

What you did was get it setup correctly or close and then you cleared the CMOS and did not have pics of your settings or them written down and you are lost. You might as well go back to a lower cpu speed and start over. Inch it up and forget the HT Ref Freq bounce since many have it. Clock up slowly like you have never been to any known speed and likely with ram set where it is really supposed to be for DDR3-1333 speed, you will likely get there again.

I have pics of my bios settings. I have most written down and I have a profile saved of my overclock so I can go back to it after a CMOS clearing. It keeps me from guessing where I have been.
RGone...

My CHV will bounce the HT Ref Freq slightly and that will show as about 1Mhz overall cpu speed change and it does not hinder me at all that I can see. Many do it.

Voltage swing of 0.005 is not diddly really. That is only 5 thousandsth. Nothing.

What you did was get it setup correctly or close and then you cleared the CMOS and did not have pics of your settings or them written down and you are lost. You might as well go back to a lower cpu speed and start over. Inch it up and forget the HT Ref Freq bounce since many have it. Clock up slowly like you have never been to any known speed and likely with ram set where it is really supposed to be for DDR3-1333 speed, you will likely get there again.

I have pics of my bios settings. I have most written down and I have a profile saved of my overclock so I can go back to it after a CMOS clearing. It keeps me from guessing where I have been.
RGone...

Yeah, ill probably have to do that, I kind of have the basics of what it was before, but again, there might be something little elsewhere. Oh yeah, I tried running it @1092mhz or so for the ram and it stopped Prime95 from working?? Yes i know its the the rated speed,..

Will look into that, the thing that confuses me is, before, the core voltage was able to maintain a 1.48v, now its just keep on going up and down, etc.. Could that be one reason why its making the cpu speed, nb speed, and the other speeds jumpy? It definitely wasn't like that before.

Almost sounds like you still have the power saving stuff on. Cool and quiet et al.

Almost sounds like you still have the power saving stuff on. Cool and quiet et al.

Sorry for the late posts, been busy with school lately :S. But anyways, I turned those off and it still was the same.... will try some other stuff when i have time.

I think your RAM timings are too aggressive and/or the RAM frequency is too high for the rating of the RAM. It's only rated for 1333 and you are running it a 1452 mhz.

Well, Actually now i can't even overclock anymore, :S Bios is going ape**** on me... Sigh...

Sounds to me like you need to remove power from mobo and clear the CMOS for a few minutes and then start over.
RGone...
Tried that also, :/ I swear this motherboard just keeps on messing up one thing at a time..

How about reflashing the bios? If it doesn't have the latest bios installed this might be a good time to update it.

I had it with 2.60, which was the latest, tried downgrading to 2.50 and its still the same thing

Sounds like RMA time to me. Have you researched this board to see if this is a common problem?

LINK >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728209
FX-8350 + Asrock 970 Extreme4; Not a good couple?

"trents" was asking about other of your type board having issues and I was out g00gling for
problems with your model of motherboard. I found others on other sites but this one is from
right here in this forum and is pretty darn explanatory about why it is we only recommend certain
levels of mobo most of the time.

Couple of post where 'ssjwizard' and I agree on the 970 chipset boards, just seem cheaper made
overall since they are aimed at the un-informed first time, entry level buyer. Motherboard makers
have no issue with one buying real cheap and then later finding they needed more robust offering.
RGone...

LINK >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728209
FX-8350 + Asrock 970 Extreme4; Not a good couple?

"trents" was asking about other of your type board having issues and I was out g00gling for
problems with your model of motherboard. I found others on other sites but this one is from
right here in this forum and is pretty darn explanatory about why it is we only recommend certain
levels of mobo most of the time.

Couple of post where 'ssjwizard' and I agree on the 970 chipset boards, just seem cheaper made
overall since they are aimed at the un-informed first time, entry level buyer. Motherboard makers
have no issue with one buying real cheap and then later finding they needed more robust offering.
RGone...

Thanks for the link Rgone, haven't done much research if others are having the same problems. If I did get a new motherboard what do you guys reccomend? I was looking at the asus m599fx r2 or something like that when I was at microcenter yesterday

These are my actual choices...

...been watching users come thru here for going on 3 years and watched the move to FX processor and how crappy the too entry level boards do and now I see this as my list. Stuff I would put "my" money down on.

IF I had "any at all" idea to go FX 6 core or 8 core processor, with g00d water cooling AND/OR I ever intended to run SLi or Crossfire, I would buy one of these boards for myself in the order I list them is my personal buying idea. "At this time"

1. ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

2. ASRock 990FX Extreme9 AM3+ AMD 990FX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157358

3. ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX << JURY is still very much out on this board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157479

Now if 'I' had no intentions EVER of pushing the PEE out of an FX 6 core or 8 core processor and that means beyond 4.5Ghz BUT I still might want to SLi or Crossfire, then these would be my choices.

1. ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851

2. ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX << JURY is still very much out on this board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157479 << the jury is still out on the "overclocking" to the moon part. As for gaming at a medium clock on FX 6core or 8core at approx 4.5Ghz...it should do well.

If I never ever cared to run dual video cards and 4.5Ghz was my always and forever max stable cpu speed with good cooling, then I most likely would go for this mobo.

ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131874

Now IF I just had to try a Gigabyte mobo, this one might be what I would try if it is for sure the REV 4.0. For sure since I think they are in that Rev now. Note: the boards without the U such as D3P are just too entry level.
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

The UD5 version of that board might be okay, but I will tell you that Giga has dorked with their customers for nearly 14 months now with Rev of their AMD boards that throttle in the UD3 versions and generally don't have the best options in bios.

Now those are my choices and the boards I would have to be making up my mind about. If I had the money...the hands down, no holds barred choice would be the Sabertooth 990FX since it a 'known' quantity. No doubt.
RGone...ster.

Thanks for all those suggestions Rgone! But huh, i just turned on my computer today and tried to reflash the bios, it was 2.50 and i reflashed it again to the same 2.50 and now its working like normal -_- This board just makes me mad.

Thanks for all those suggestions Rgone! But huh, i just turned on my computer today and tried to reflash the bios, it was 2.50 and i reflashed it again to the same 2.50 and now its working like normal -_- This board just makes me mad.
Bios corruption.....due to ram being way too tight and fast. ;)
Next time you may not be as lucky.

Back