• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Somethings wrong with overclock...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bios corruption.....due to ram being way too tight and fast. ;)
Next time you may not be as lucky.

But then, the thing is, i had reset the overclock after trying to overclock again, which was about a week or so longer ago, So it has been stock clocks for everything since last week and the problem happened after I assembled back the motherboard and everything else after attempting to go exchange it..

But then, the thing is, i had reset the overclock after trying to overclock again, which was about a week or so longer ago, So it has been stock clocks for everything since last week and the problem happened after I assembled back the motherboard and everything else after attempting to go exchange it..
Yes, but you never flashed the bios or cleared the boot block. The damage was still there. Simply re-setting back to stock clocks won't fix it. ;)
You were lucky. Most of the time a corrupted bios means RMA or hotflash/bios chip replacement.

Yes, but you never flashed the bios or cleared the boot block. The damage was still there. Simply re-setting back to stock clocks won't fix it. ;)
You were lucky. Most of the time a corrupted bios means RMA or hotflash/bios chip replacement.

That's one thing I like about these ASUS boards I have is the direct flash option.

Another thing though, sorry for so much D:, I downgraded yesterday night from the 2.60(which is the latest) to 2.50 but it didn't change, and I re did the 2.50 flash today and it worked? What would that mean? Oh yeah, hmm.. Could this be why my bios was hanging the other day? when i was trying to reboot and had my brothers DVD drive plugged in, the bios would hang, but when i unplugged it, it was fine again, till i cleared cmos.

After a flash you should be clearing the CMOS and loading the optimal defaults. This cleans out the bios and repairs all those little inconsistencys caused by your corruption issue. THEN, you can start your overclocking again. ;)

If you've ever had the pleasure of owning any DFI boards, you would know this by heart. lol
Rgone knows. ;)

After a flash you should be clearing the CMOS and loading the optimal defaults. This cleans out the bios and repairs all those little inconsistencys caused by your corruption issue. THEN, you can start your overclocking again. ;)

If you've ever had the pleasure of owning any DFI boards, you would know this by heart. lol
Rgone knows. ;)

H*ll yes. And then they started storing part of the actual bios info in the 'boot block' and oh wow such fun. I expect when was doing heavy heavy benching; I flashed the bios at least 3 times a week. If I was just not getting it correct in bios setting, I might flash the bios 3 times in one day. Oh the good ole days.

Some of these guys in here are flashing the Sabertooth and CHV bios regular when they are tweaking their ram. So far on my CHV I have not had to RE-instute the ole saying...a flash aday keeps corruption at bay. Hehehe.
RGone...

H*ll yes. And then they started storing part of the actual bios info in the 'boot block' and oh wow such fun. I expect when was doing heavy heavy benching; I flashed the bios at least 3 times a week. If I was just not getting it correct in bios setting, I might flash the bios 3 times in one day. Oh the good ole days.

Some of these guys in here are flashing the Sabertooth and CHV bios regular when they are tweaking their ram. So far on my CHV I have not had to RE-instute the ole saying...a flash aday keeps corruption at bay. Hehehe.
RGone...

I dabble in bios modding, and bench. I expect it. Certain brands of boards are worse than others. Abit, Epox, and DFI were the worst. Hmmmm.......all Oskar Wu boards. Great clockers........pretty tough on bios's. lol

RGone...
I'm pretty certain I need to do my CHV-z again, tried to save a different profile yesterday and even though the name changed it would bring back the old profile every time. I fugure it's about time any way, I haven't tried any others to see which I like yet.
What is it about the ram that messes the bios up like that??

I dabble in bios modding, and bench. I expect it. Certain brands of boards are worse than others. Abit, Epox, and DFI were the worst. Hmmmm.......all Oskar Wu boards. Great clockers........pretty tough on bios's. lol

I have an M3NHT Deluxe here Scotty that could really use some more voltage. I think it might be my first "cold" experience but it'll only go up to about 1.6v. That seems to be the limit and won't be enough to get that 9850 squealing, It'll use almost that much now just on air when I was playing with it a while ago. Do you think you may be able to do some thing aboyt that??

I have an M3NHT Deluxe here Scotty that could really use some more voltage. I think it might be my first "cold" experience but it'll only go up to about 1.6v. That seems to be the limit and won't be enough to get that 9850 squealing, It'll use almost that much now just on air when I was playing with it a while ago. Do you think you may be able to do some thing aboyt that??

I can certainly check if there is anything un-lockable or hidden, but most of the time voltage is hardware controlled and requires hard modding the board.
You're getting to the point in your benching where you will make the jump to extreme and have to start hard modding.
Soon you'll be asking about soldering stations and volt mods. :D

Got mine already. Had to do my own repairs on some of the DFI boards, but the older I get the harder it gets...to solder little bitty shett.
RGone...
I understand. Voltmodded my P4C800 the other day. Still got the skills and steady hands, just can't see sh1t so good no more. :p

Got mine already. Had to do my own repairs on some of the DFI boards, but the older I get the harder it gets...to solder little bitty shett.
RGone...

I understand. Voltmodded my P4C800 the other day. Still got the skills and steady hands, just can't see sh1t so good no more. :p

I see then, thanks for the response Scotty. I can run an iron, but like others that small stuff can be tough, a little shaky and bad eyes probably aren't the best combination. Last thing I tried was a Satellite box and managed to really mess a trace up trying to solder a wire to it. I managed in the end but I was running out of wiggle room if you know what I mean.

Ahhh... I see what you guys mean now, lol. Thanks for clearing things up for me Mr.Scott! :D Pheww.... Lucky the BIOS didn't totally mess up for me. Would basically mean 20 dollars down the drain(bought it about 1 year or so ago with Microcenters 70 off CPU/Motherboard bundle, not alot but I would have to bring my motherboard and CPU back to get something new. -.-) but yeah, would mean another 100+ to use if this one broke... ,_,

Back