• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Somewhat advanced knowledge in PCs, new to OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pzykotik

So here I am, just builted my first PC from scratch.

I knew what I was heading for, and had very few problems in the building.
But now, I feel like I could turn it all up a notch.

I'll start with the rig, then I'll get in the details.

I accept this as being a budget build.

Casing: Antec Two Hundred Three (5x 120mm fan, 1x 140mm fan, PS and front intake air filter, Kühler H2O 920)

PS: Thermaltake 600W

MB: Asus M5A97

CPU: AMD FX-4100

RAM: 2x Kingston 2gb 1333mhz

HDD: 1x 80gb Samsung + 1x WD 350gb + 1x WD 1tb external

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7750

OS: (I should upgrade soon, losing 1gb of ram is very frustrating) Win 7 Home Prem x32

I think that's it.

(As for the number, I tried different programs, ending up with different result. I know the only *real* stats I should state are the ones in the BIOS, I'll have to see if I actually can change the multiplier...)

Cpu: 3.6ghz (but running at 3.9ghz, really)
NB: 2ghz

(If there is any other values that would be needed, let me know.)

SO. All of this to come to the point.

I have read, many, many, maaaany pages about overclocking. Either Dolk's here, or others somewhere else, it all ends up the same: I'm confused.

I do know some basis since I've read all of this, but in practice...

So, basically, I would like some help so I can acheive a decent OC, as this is my first.

Hardware is easy. Software is easy. But changing INSIDE the hardware from SOFTWARE(BIOS included...), that's somewhere I've never been.

So, I've read a lot on it, I am prepared. I would just like some help in the *first* run, as I don't want to throw all that money in the garbage.

Thanks!

what TT psu is that? a lot O TT psu tend to be duds

also 7 tends to use less ram on systems with 2gb of ram
7 has a lot of junk it will shut off, and even more you can remove.

as for OC'ing the cpu
do that in the bios, gpu is done in the OS with MSI AB

OK this how I OC
up the volts till you hit the max temps your willing to live with.
then up the FSB till the system it unstable, keep in mind uping the FSB will OC your ram
but yo can dowe clock it.

your mobo has UEFI bios, so I can't tell you where every thing is sorry

use OCCT to test for system stability and temps

Thanks for a quick reply.

1. The TT PSU is: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=2057

2. Do you mean that 7 use less ram when there's less ram?

3. Having the software isn't a problem. OC'ing is. I guess (correct if I'm wrong): Up the value, test, if stable, keep upping until not stable, turn down a bit, fine tune... as well as what is a safe C° for the GPU? I know that the CPU shouldnt go over 45°C, what about the GPU?

4. I know 7 has a lot of junk, turned most of it off.

5. As for OC, I'll take your advice, but I'd like to know the procedure.

Would it be:
a) Up the [value] in the BIOS, wait, check the temp, and keep upping until desired temp/speed
b) UP the [value] in the BIOS, reboot, stress test, check temp, repeat until stable for 12h+

6. As for the UEFI BIOS, well, it's just layed out to be "userfriendly" which isnt IMO. I'll look everywhere to check for each setting I can/have to change.

7. I guess I'll use OCCT and Prime95 as well.

Update: Just ran the "Afterburner" GPU benchmark:

SCORE: 1186 points, FPS: 20 (60000 ms)
MAX SETTINGS
Avg 20fps (max=22 min=20)
Temp after 60000ms: 50°C

Last edited:
The best way to OC yopur system SAFLEY is doing it SLOWLY and from the BIOS one step at a time. I am just on my way out for the weekend but will get you started. I am sure one of the guys will be along shortly and if you can get everything ready for hime things will go allot smoother.

First Make sure your system is set to all stock settings in BIOS. Download and install .... HWMoniter, CPUZ ... both from qupid website and prime 95 32BIT version. Once these are installed run HWMoniter and CPUZ then run prime Blend test for 20 min to establish a basline. Get a screen capture of HWMoniter as well as screens from CPUZ .... CPU, Memory and SPD and post them here.

To do that click Go Advanced and use the attach tool at the top (paper clip) To be a little helpfull crop out any unwanted desktop and just show the programs. This will set up a baseline for your system and tell they guys here allot about your settings and how your system is running.

Also here is a good guide you can read which will help you to understand how to OC your FX CPU.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

Okay I'll do that, and I'll do another one while playing a graphic-intense game so we can see where it goes already when stock.

BTW, I didn't change anything yet :)

So the first (CPUID/CPU-Z) is the 20mins Prime95 test. We can clearly see that it was the CPU that was working here (45°C) Idle: 33°C

The second one is 30mins, during which I used different graphic-intense games/graphic tests. The CPU was barely working, as opposed to the GPU (53°C) Idle: 30°C

P.s. Don't mind the 650k RPM from the fan.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.jpg
    CPU-Z.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 132
  • CPU-Z-game.jpg
    CPU-Z-game.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Ok thats a good start ...... Now I am not at home but will pop in when I can. I am sure when the regulars come by they will be of help as well. Here we will deal with the CPU only ..... I have never had the need to OC my GPU so I am not the guy to ask about that. Your temps are good. The 45*C is your socket temp though less important we will watch them you don't want them to get over 65*C to 70*C MAX. The temps we are concerned with are your core temps. Core #0 to #3 ..... Max temps 55*C to 60*C.

Now before we change any clock settings make sure your green stuff is turned off for now. If you want to run it later I am sure RGone will e glad to tell you which to turn back on. First go to Controle pannel ... Power Options and set that to Preformance. Then re boot and in your bios disable Turbo Boost, Cool & Quiet, C1E, APM and C6 (if There).

Once this is done ..... Bump your multi by .5 and reboot. Once back in windows run HWMoniter, CPUZ and Prime to test stability for 20 min. If you pass all tests re boot and back in bios add another bump to your multi and re test. Keep doing this till either you can't pass a 20 min prime run, most likely a worker will drop off or stop working with an error. Keep an eye on your temps.... CPU Socket 65*C Cores ....... 55*C.

When either of those happen Get a screen capture showing HWMoniter showing your temps. We also need to see Your Memory tab and SPD Tab of CPUZ as well.

Good question ....... I have only ever used x64. My only knowledge about running the 32BIT version comes from reading threads here. Besides the obviouse, memory restriction (3GB) you can get a higher OC using the 32BIT version of windows. Less work for the CPU I believe. Now if you do allot of gaming or use memory intenseive apps then yes it wouln't hurt to upgrade.

Maybe someone that is more in the know ..... RGone, trents or BeepBeep2 can give you a much better answer.

Only reason to go x64 is if you have more than 4GB RAM. At least, for consumer-level Windows OS.

Anyway, if you have a 32-bit Windows 7 license, you can install 64-bit OS (as long as you can find the proper media) without Microsoft whining about it.

Well, I have 4Gb, precisly.

Would it be worth getting x64 so I can use that 1Gb that's missing?
Will x64 affect the overclock in any way?

Also heard that x64 is much less compatible with games and programs overall.
Is that correct?

If so, can I dual-boot windows 7 x32 and x64 on the same computer with the same licence?

Same compatibility these days. That was a problem back then with Windows XP, some programs were reluctant to be installed to Program Files (x86) or whined about some requirements when running x64 XP. I've been running x64 Win7 since launch day and had zero problems. Only problem is that x64 can't run 16-bit code.

Alright, I am preparing to reformat/install x64. Once this is done, I will try OC, and see how it goes.
So far, I've got that part, but then this is where it gets confusing.

CPU VOLTAGE CHECK

At all times, check Temp < 45°C

-Disable any BIOS features (Cool & quiet, etc)
-Up the CPU multi to desired speed (let's say 4.6ghz)
-Set LLC to Highest
-Up the voltage to 1.45v, then lower gradually (.15v) until fail to POST, then up 2-3x (.15v)
-Stress Test Prime95, if fails, lower multi by .5 until successful

And then? I've checked the bulldozer oc guide, but that part is getting very vague, much less details, and I don't want to burn all that. I'm being very cautious since I won't be able to afford new CPU/RAM/MB for a while.

Back