• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Somewhat advanced knowledge in PCs, new to OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
pzykotik, when you finish installing Windows leave everything at stock to begin with and run a Prime95 20 minute stress test to check for both core temps and CPU (socket) temps. To check for temps, have the free program, HWMonitor open before you start the test and during the test. The FX CPU typically have poor core temp sensor calibration, usually about 15c on the cool side, so it's a good idea to compare that temp with the socket temp. If in fact the core temp reading looks to be approximately 15c too cool then limiting that temp to 45c would mean it's actually at 60c which would be about right.

Now you have a total of 4gb of ram, correct?

2x2gb @ 1333, Yep.

I think 60°C would be way too high, 50°C would be a "do something to lower that temp" limit, as far as I know AMD don't like 45°C+.

Once installed, I'll check the stock stats from the BIOS, note them, and check with HWMonitor, run a Prime95 and printscreen, and post.

2x2gb @ 1333, Yep.

I think 60°C would be way too high, 50°C would be a "do something to lower that temp" limit, as far as I know AMD don't like 45°C+.

Once installed, I'll check the stock stats from the BIOS, note them, and check with HWMonitor, run a Prime95 and printscreen, and post.

Actually, it's not 45c that AMD doesn't like to exceed but it's 55c and more like 60c on the FX CPUs. Talking about core temps here.

Oh okay. I'd like more details about that. Well, going in for a reformat, will be back soon enough.

/e: crap. Might have lost my backed up files. Ugh.

Last edited:
Okay... Anyone can tell how/if it's possible to extract the files from a "Recovery partition"?

I have this 320Gb HDD, in 3 partitions: 144,144,10. Both 144's are full with games and stuff. The other one was a recovery partition when I had it, but formatted it so I could use the 10gb.

Until now, everything was fine. I formatted, not before unplugging the said drive, and plugged it in my other PC so I could play a game while my main was being formatted... Only to discover a gone partition. I've checked with both PCs, checked with Linux, nothing.

Is there something I can do?!?

So I'm confused by what you say in post #26. Are you saying you wiped out the recovery partition? In the process of installing Windows 64-bit?

Nope.

I took this hard drive from an ACER, I wanted those 320Gb.

At first, it was splitted into 2 partitions (or so I thought) of 144Gb. I decided to use it as a secondary drive, my main being 80gb.

Then I found out about the ~10gb recovery partition. So I formatted it (I have NO idea how I did, since the Disk Management doesn't let you do anything with that specific patrition) so I can use these ~10gb.

Until now, I could put files in there, no problem. So I just put my files I wanted to back up in there (!!!games saves!!!, browser's bookmarks, etc), and formatted.

I made sure that the drive wasn't plugged when I formatted, so it wouldn't conflict in any way. I also removed my external 1Tb for that matters (it's almost full, heh)

While my main was being formatted, I tried to plug the other in my "server" pc, so I could play a games while waiting the format to end. It would boot, but freeze at boot screen. So I took it off, and plugged it while in windows with an USB adapter (IDE, laptop, sata).

Once in, I noticed the 10gb partition wasn't there anymore. In the disk management, it was called, once again, Recovery partition.

So now, yeah. How can I access the files inside that drive, if they are still there?

/e: I was so panicked at first, I couldn't think straight. I've downloaded a "Data recovery" program, and it's scanning the hidden drive atm. Hope I will be able to actually recover all of this. (Most important thing in there: Games saves. Especially Mass Effect 1 & 2)

Last edited:
Well, if it's gone it's gone. I never have used any data recovery software. Hope it works out for you.

Its been a long time since I have bought a boxed system and had to deal with product recovery.

trents correct me if I am wrong but don't you need to start the product recovery from within Windows? I don't think you can run it as a stand alone instal. The last time I tried that I had a Dell Disk I could work around that but I have never done it off a hard drive. My recovery partition here on this laptop won't even allow me to view these files as per my capture below.

Attachments

• drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 34
Maybe I misunderstood what pzykotik is trying to do but I don't think he's trying to install Windows from the restore partition (I don't think the restore routine would recognize any but the OEM computer anyway) I think he's trying to retrieve some games and other app/data files he had stored there as well.

If I understand this right .... pzykotik has an old hard drive from an acer ..... not sure if this is the original system for this drive which has the restore partition on it. On this partiotion is the original rstore files as well as some files he has also stored on it.

I took this hard drive from an ACER, I wanted those 320Gb.

At first, it was splitted into 2 partitions (or so I thought) of 144Gb. I decided to use it as a secondary drive, my main being 80gb.

Then I found out about the ~10gb recovery partition.

Now again I could be wrong.

Yes, that's right but I think if you go back and read the thread from the beginning he is trying to now install a 64-bit version of Windows and the Acer was 32-bit I think.

I'm trying to recover some files (game saves, etc) that were in a partition. The partition is now a "recovery partition" and I can't access it easily. Trying to get the ******* files out.

VICTORY!!!

Used Minitool Partition Wizard to:

-Split a partition from another drive so I can copy in there.
-Copy the hidden drive into the unallocated space and make a new partition out of this.
-Profit.

I can now focus on what I was SUPPOSED to do 4 hours ago: OC.

Cool .... I thought he was installing from thr recovery partition. Glad you have it worked out. Now its bed time. I'm beet.

Back