• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speakers + Headset plugged in at once?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

istari675

I have a ASrock oc formula z97 in my PC, and I am trying to figure out how to easily swap between a headset and speakers. My motherboard only has a single speaker and microphone plug in it. I have plenty of plugs in the back of the motherboard, but I cant seem to find a way to make the motherboard recognize items plugged into it as anything other than the slot they were marked for originally. I need my motherboard to recognize my speakers and headset individually, so I can just set up a hotkey to swap between speakers and headset as needed. The back of my computer is not easy to reach and I do not want to stress the plugs by swapping multiple times a day.

Or, you could get a USB headset and leave the speakers plugged in the back. Also you can use the header on the MB for the front panel audio if your case has a front panel connector.

Last edited:
The splitter does not work, because the motherboard doesnt pick up the microphone when I have the microphone/speaker combo plugged in. As it is right now there is no way that I know of to make my headset work completely, and I am trying to find an easy way to swap from the headset to the speakers by having them both plugged in at once.

Update:
The headset has already been purchased so I am cornered to using this single plug audio connector.

Odd. I have 2 headsets and one has a built in mic. As an experiment I used this same exact splitter hooked up to my sound card and connected the mic to mic input. I can then turn off my speakers via control pod (logitech) and my sound is now going through my headset and my mic works fine using skype while gaming.

I can also use both my headsets/mic and speakers without the splitter on my soundcard (Creative SBZ) and with the software switch between headset or speakers. You might have to go this route if you want to be able to switch between the 2 using a hot key as you posted, but this will require a purchase of the Creative SBZ card which probably you don't want to do.

Back