• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spyware Challenge! You Got The Guts There, Nerd Master!?!? (free Prize Inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
114472.jpg

still going. .nothing beats the energizer bunny!!

Click Here for logfile.

References detected during the scan:
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
180Solutions(TAC index:8):32 total references
2020Search(TAC index:4):36 total references
AdDestroyer(TAC index:5):13 total references
AdRoar(TAC index:6):1 total references
Alexa(TAC index:5):124 total references
BargainBuddy(TAC index:8):114 total references
BlazeFind(TAC index:5):24 total references
BlazingTools Perfect Keylogger(TAC index:5):15 total references
BonziBuddy(TAC index:7):225 total references
BookedSpace(TAC index:10):5 total references
BroadCastPC(TAC index:7):17 total references
Claria(TAC index:7):216 total references
ClearSearch(TAC index:7):32 total references
ClickSpring(TAC index:6):28 total references
CometSystems(TAC index:7):426 total references
CoolWebSearch(TAC index:10):135 total references
CrackSpider(TAC index:4):25 total references
DyFuCA(TAC index:3):80 total references
e2give(TAC index:7):32 total references
eUniverse(TAC index:10):41 total references
ExactSearchBar(TAC index:5):97 total references
EzuLa(TAC index:6):277 total references
Favoriteman(TAC index:8):20 total references
FlashTrack(TAC index:7):51 total references
FreeScratchCards(TAC index:3):8 total references
Golden Eye(TAC index:5):1 total references
Hijacker.TopConverting(TAC index:5):10 total references
HungryHands BHO(TAC index:3):15 total references
IBIS Toolbar(TAC index:5):254 total references
ImIServer IEPlugin(TAC index:5):49 total references
IPInsight(TAC index:7):4 total references
istbar(TAC index:6):70 total references
iWon(TAC index:5):191 total references
Lycos Sidesearch(TAC index:7):33 total references
Marketscore(Netsetter)(TAC index:7):4 total references
MicroGaming(TAC index:4):1 total references
MRU List(TAC index:0):17 total references
MyDailyHoroscope(TAC index:5):38 total references
NavExcel(TAC index:5):33 total references
NetPal(TAC index:9):9 total references
Other(TAC index:5):9943 total references
PeopleOnPage(TAC index:9):37 total references
Possible Browser Hijack attempt(TAC index:3):89 total references
Powerscan(TAC index:5):13 total references
PromulGate(TAC index:5):9 total references
RBase01.ath(TAC index:8):2 total references
Roings(TAC index:5):20 total references
Scratch and Win(TAC index:6):31 total references
SecondThought(TAC index:4):15 total references
ShopNav Hijacker(TAC index:8):32 total references
SideFind(TAC index:5):54 total references
Softomate Toolbar(TAC index:9):25 total references
TIB Browser(TAC index:4):14 total references
TopMoxie(TAC index:3):9 total references
TopPicks(TAC index:6):98 total references
Tracking Cookie(TAC index:3):79 total references
Transponder(TAC index:10):4 total references
VirtualBouncer(TAC index:5):25 total references
VX2(TAC index:10):165 total references
WebHancer(TAC index:9):77 total references
WhenU(TAC index:10):157 total references
Win32.Adverts.TrojanDownloader(TAC index:6):5 total references
Win32.Kwbot.C(TAC index:8):17 total references
Win32.Netsky.C(TAC index:10):100714 total references
WinAD(TAC index:7):8 total references
Windows(TAC index:3):1 total references
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

Last edited:
Well.

This contest might ACTUALLY be interesting if the participants actually f***king followed the rules:

HOW TO WIN:

1) GET AS MANY SPYWARE INFECTIONS AS POSSIBLE.

Definition of spyware:
Definition: any software that covertly gathers information about a user while he/she navigates the Internet and transmits the information to an individual or company that uses it for marketing or other purposes; also called adware

Just so you know. NETSKY IS A VIRUS! NOT A PIECE OF SPYWARE. GET RID OF THE VIRUSES AND IT MIGHT ACTUALLY BE A TRUE CONTEST. Jesus.

Wolfy, please edit out the hard language in your post as it isn't welcome here - we have a swear filter to star things out automatically. The forum rules are clear on this.

For the record, netsky qualifies here as I stated in post #119:

I.M.O.G. said:
FYI, by definition, spyware includes trojans - trojans often gather information and report it back to a source... netsky harvests email addresses from your system. Depending on where you look, you will find different definitions - however, spyware is most basically any clandestine software which gathers information and reports it somewhere over your internet connection, without the user being aware.

Netsky is software, it gathers and reports information over the internet, and it is covert to the average user. I do not see how that escapes the definition of spyware... Keep in mind that spyware and virii are converging anymore, and they aren't such seperate entities - just because something may be considered one, doesn't mean it doesn't also fit the definition of the other.

Most importantly, think about this for a second. Then look at the 3rd post in this thread - the whole idea of this contest is silly, and the prize is silly. Try not to take it so seriously.

I mentioned in the rules that hoaxing was not recommended, and some of these results are somewhat/severely hoaxed, so they may not get the prize. It depends, I'll be taking many things into consideration when I name official winners... I just want to be impressed... I'm not sure how much more impressive 100,000 netsky files are htan 10,000. ;)

This is a contest for fun, for people to do what they want with, and it just so happens to offer an arbitrary prize for the people who I decide best fulfill the guidelines I laid out.

I'm sorry but this contest has went to all hell now... if I wanted to I just need 1 spyware file and use copy and paste to make a million of them. And they would all show up in Ad-Aware as different infections.

I would say go for # of DIFFERENT processes... only thing is someone would take a process and rename it a million times. Then start them all....

I don't know how you could lay out rules for this that would work... but hey this is all for fun and your looking at logs!

Thats pretty bad ATI... I had a scan turn up 34 different infections from normal usage the other day, and I thought that was pretty bad.

PCGUY112887 said:
I'm sorry but this contest has went to all hell now... if I wanted to I just need 1 spyware file and use copy and paste to make a million of them. And they would all show up in Ad-Aware as different infections.

I would say go for # of DIFFERENT processes... only thing is someone would take a process and rename it a million times. Then start them all....

I don't know how you could lay out rules for this that would work... but hey this is all for fun and your looking at logs!

Many spyware items have methods built into their program which will not allow for more than one instance of the process to operate at a time... Also the files used by multiple instances would likley conincide and conflict... You cannot do what you suggest in 99% of cases.

Logs discredit hoaxed results... "Families" of infections are a far truer indication of the level of infection.

If you don't like what you see, post something substantial yourself... This contest is just what you guys make it.

I'm actually suprised in how worried about the rule specifics everyone is, I thought most would understand the message and point of the contest... Get a spyware infection which surprises/impresses people. If everyone understood that message, they would realize that certain things would be accepted, while others would be quickly discredited.

I expect there are better results yet to be posted here... There is still a full week, and there are several people who I know were working, who haven't posted results yet.

I personally would like to see a result without Netsky that shows a few thousand instances, but at the same time, if AdAware is picking up Netsky, it's spyware enough to count for the contest. I just hope that people can get spyware without taking the easy way out. I think that's probably the basis of most people's objections to Netsky. Alas, I think Netsky's fair game, but let's see some multiple tens of thousands of hits without Netsky or something like it!

Z

zachj said:
I personally would like to see a result without Netsky that shows a few thousand instances, but at the same time, if AdAware is picking up Netsky, it's spyware enough to count for the contest. I just hope that people can get spyware without taking the easy way out. I think that's probably the basis of most people's objections to Netsky. Alas, I think Netsky's fair game, but let's see some multiple tens of thousands of hits without Netsky or something like it!

Z

when im done, ill post 2 logfiles. 1 with netsky, then one sans netsky. should be done with that on oct 1st. but there is still lots of spyware to get on my machine that i have seen out there. give me some time, im trying to figgure out how i can keep all of it from loading up so i can surf popup free while i go on 3 hour binges of spyware installing.

I got some new toolbars too, but i have yet to run adaware. its starting to take hours upon hours running adaware just to publish a result. not fun, no matter how u look at it.

plus, some piece of spyware on the machine is terminating the rpc service every time i use it, so that adds to the dificulty im having posting results.

I wonder if patching up that RPC exploit would help me with that endeavor. hmmm.

either way, take netsky out and this is the number: 13,682
netsky infection = 100,714

i think im still winning.

Last edited:
ghettocomp said:
Hang on! I'll let my daughter cruise the net for a few hours. she get an average of 600 spyware infections a week. man i hate cleaning up her computer!.
Amen to that. My sister is the same way. My dad gets so p.o.ed because the computer is slow because of it. He said he's going to give it to her as a Christmas present. This is why he and I have our own computers.

I just don't believe AdAware would EVER finish with 1M files . . . And I'd be careful. Seems Sasser.B will fill up your hard drive as it replicates . . . If you contract that, your spyware collection's history.

And just to help the process along, I think I'll throw out two names:

Slotchbar and Sidesearch

Z

Back