• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD - Solid State Drive Technology Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At least $500-600 at launch could mean $2000. :)

Although if they really do come out around that price range I think I'm saving up for a 64gb.

If thats true,why dont they be honest and say that ? You cant say it going to start at 5 to 600,and then launch it at 2 or 4 or 7k !?

If these prices are real,the real story here,is not the amount of Gb,or speed over competing products such as Mtrons stuff,but the radical price cuts OCZ are looking to introduce new products at.

I hope these prices come to pass soon,and not in 3 to 5 years.I want a 128Gb SSD drive,heck,or a 96Gb drive would be almost as good.I wonder why the warranties are so low ? What does Mtron back thier drives for ? 3 years ? Thats pathetic.Hopefully OCZ,and Intel will jump into the game,and offer cheaper,faster product with 5 or ten year warranties,or longer even.I mean it is 'ram chip' based after all.If Corsair,and Crucial,etc,can all offer 'ram' based products for 20 to however many dollars with excellent lifetime warranties,why cant the rest ?

If thats true,why dont they be honest and say that ? You cant say it going to start at 5 to 600,and then launch it at 2 or 4 or 7k !?

If these prices are real,the real story here,is not the amount of Gb,or speed over competing products such as Mtrons stuff,but the radical price cuts OCZ are looking to introduce new products at.

I hope these prices come to pass soon,and not in 3 to 5 years.I want a 128Gb SSD drive,heck,or a 96Gb drive would be almost as good.I wonder why the warranties are so low ? What does Mtron back thier drives for ? 3 years ? Thats pathetic.Hopefully OCZ,and Intel will jump into the game,and offer cheaper,faster product with 5 or ten year warranties,or longer even.I mean it is 'ram chip' based after all.If Corsair,and Crucial,etc,can all offer 'ram' based products for 20 to however many dollars with excellent lifetime warranties,why cant the rest ?

I was more or less poking fun at the wording. I have no clue what the actual retail price of these would be.

They have to come down in price a bunch before they can be a mainstream product.

Any word on the Fusion-IO drives? I thought those should have been out by now.

And that is exactly the problem. Linux devices were supposed to be readily available in November of 2007. Windows devices were supposed to be "in my hands" for review by right now.

The CEO and Vice Pres. of Fusion IO have not returned any of my correspondance since early November 2007. So, I am losing confidence in receiving a unit. And I honestly do not know whats going on with the drive launch, etc?

thats no good,dom, we expected better from them... of course its not the first time someone has offered up some vaporware.

Quick question about the Mtron drives...

Last night I placed an order for a Mtron MSD 6000 32GB. Did I make a mistake not getting the MOBI 3000 instead? Both of them are rated at 100MB/read 80MB/write, but I think the MOBI 3000 drives are newer then the MSD 6000 drives. What is the difference between them?

Edit: The drive will be used in my Latitude in case you was wondering.

the MSD 6000 from my reading is just a mobi with a server grade warrenty on it. i cant find anything leading me to think the mobi would be better.... good choice though, with it in a lappy your battier life should improve a bit...

This is a tough question. Because I am pretty sure that the newer Mobi's have better firmware. But like Michael already stated, the MSD6000's come with a full 5 year manufacturer warranty vs. the 3 year of the Mobi. The thing is the MSD6000's are actually cheaper than the Mobi's. It is very confusing to me because cheaper, usually does not equal 2 more years on the warranty.

I think MSD6000 may just be old inventory because it was the original Mtron Drive. The MSD6000 was the initial drive release from Mtron back when SSD was just making a name for itself. The Mobi is a very new drive which I am pretty sure has better firmware than the original MSD6000. Don't quote me on this because the distributors are claiming the drives are identical but something seems fishy.

Well I guess as long as it works in my Dell then I should be fine. My biggest concern is the firmware could be outdated and my laptop wont be able to recognize the drive. I ran in to this before with a couple of early Super Talent SSD drives. Some devices would recognize them and others would not. I wonder if the ultra low latencies confuse some of the controllers out there. Like maybe the hard drive responds so fast that the controller hasn't even started communicating with it yet.

Well I got the drive today. Here is how it's looking so far,

This is being done on my Dell Latitude notebook and I am not sure why it is benching slower then expected. Knowing how pathetic laptops usually are I wouldn't surprised if it is more to do with Dell then Mtron. That being said.... Bootup times are insanely fast. I've never had a desktop boot up this fast, muchless a laptop.

Now this makes me wonder though. Is my craptop actually bottlenecking at around 70MBps, or would the higher $ Mtron 7000 drives actually show more performance gains on a laptop.

surf
its more then likly the SB in the laptop capping it for some odd reason..i would check for updated drivers like in one of the other threads... seems that fixes the xfer speeds a bit..

Got my 32GB Pro yesterday and was pretty impressed. Feels very smooth. Like there is no delay. I also was not able to sustain more then 80mb/s read with my Asus Maximus 0907 BIOS. This was in IDE mode. I switched to RAID mode and had to reinstall Vista. Now I am getting 111MB/s read. So its working but it still takes 15-20seconds during post to recognize the drive. Does anyone think this will be fixable with a BIOS update? Also I installed COD4 and BF2142 on VISTA and am down to 7gb of free space. Thats all the info I have for now. Please contribute your findings as will I. Don't let this thread die.

if the bios allows manually set the HD in the bios. that way you dont have to worry about the auto detect taking so long. that will then of course speed up your boot times..

I have this drive almost at max capacity. I have 2gb left over and changed the pagefile to 1gb and still get max performance. Its nice cause I wanted to install COD4, BF2142, and TF2. Got them all installed on slipstreamed Vista Ultimate 64bit. Still runs awsome. Any news on intel fix for cap?

This is a tough question. Because I am pretty sure that the newer Mobi's have better firmware. But like Michael already stated, the MSD6000's come with a full 5 year manufacturer warranty vs. the 3 year of the Mobi. The thing is the MSD6000's are actually cheaper than the Mobi's. It is very confusing to me because cheaper, usually does not equal 2 more years on the warranty.

I think MSD6000 may just be old inventory because it was the original Mtron Drive. The MSD6000 was the initial drive release from Mtron back when SSD was just making a name for itself. The Mobi is a very new drive which I am pretty sure has better firmware than the original MSD6000. Don't quote me on this because the distributors are claiming the drives are identical but something seems fishy.

Dominick you are correct the mobi has and updated firmware as I was told by Jason at dv nation.I have read your review on these drives an was vary impressed buy your results and I know you put a lot of time in it not to mention the coast .I am going to get 4x32gb pro the msp7000 to start with and test them on a striker 680i that I have laying here the third rma I have of this board it seems that is the board that they used for there benches. I also have a asus p5nt-ws that iam very happy with that iam going to try too but it dose not like quads so maybe I will try the striker 2 as iam not to fond of evaga.
I have been testing an areca 1230 with multiple drives on some x38 boards and it has not been in my advantage. I also have a areca 1231ml that iam going to use on the new msp 7000 pro drives that has the new intel iop 341 chip compared to the 333 chip on the 1230.

Thank you for your research an testing …charles

Back