• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD - Solid State Drive Technology Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Mike,
Its the new drive released by Memoright supposedly producing a 105 MB/s single drive write speed. They are claiming to have completely eliminated single drive NAND write issues. I plan to find out! ;)

I think we should change his name to "Datanick32." LOL...:bday:

I want some NOW!!!

unfortunately HDs are the bottleneck on ANY system & they know it...

I realy want SST drives I just can hardly stand waiting :drool:

so here's a trick question ... since ssd's are basically glorified ram drives, would they benefit from such craziness as volt modding?

Mtron 2 drive RAID0

Ok guys. This is a 2nd review of the Mtron SSDs.

Until my Acrea raid controller arrives, I can only use TWO drives on the onboard Giga2 raid controller. This is my result of two 16GB Mtron Pro SSDs in RAID0 with an onboard raid controller.

My system is in my sig and all settings are 100% stock.

Attachments

• HD Tach.jpg
    HD Tach.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 460
Thanks for the results surf. I have an identical rig compared to you ;) and my single Mtron on the GIGA2 controller was able to produce 110 MB/s sustained thread. I think you will be better suited running the single drive until your areca controller comes in.

This is just more substantiated proof that current high performance SSD's are just too powerful for onboard controllers and low end raid controllers.

Thanks bud! Cant wait for the Areca results.

Dom

Thanks for the results surf. I have an identical rig compared to you ;) and my single Mtron on the GIGA2 controller was able to produce 110 MB/s sustained thread. I think you will be better suited running the single drive until your areca controller comes in.

This is just more substantiated proof that current high performance SSD's are just too powerful for onboard controllers and low end raid controllers.

Thanks bud! Cant wait for the Areca results.

Dom

Well, with any luck the controller card will be here this week. The main reason I wanted to hook up two was for the simple fact that I can only fit Vista (non vLite version) and 1 game with 3G of hard disk space left with 2 drive RAID0.

I wanted to get some other real world results posted. As Dom said though, to get the full potential out of multiple SSDs, you need a dedicated hardware raid controller.

*EDIT* I did want to add though... the real world difference is quite noticeable. Just like Dom's Vista boot video, my system boot speed is incredible. I get about 1.8 passes of the load bar on the Vista load screen, does the login chime, and goes instantly to a fully useable desktop. It's pretty incredible in that regard. :thup:

Last edited:
i think a liklyhood of a SSD failing is going to be so small it would be a act of god if one died before its MTBF.

Well I don't think they will have failure in the traditional way, but I've read they can only be written to 100000-300000 times, before failure. So I would probably not put the swap file on the HD.

They are coming out with new ways to extend that number 10x, at which point they would last longer than you'd need the drive.

Well I don't think they will have failure in the traditional way, but I've read they can only be written to 100000-300000 times, before failure. So I would probably not put the swap file on the HD.

They are coming out with new ways to extend that number 10x, at which point they would last longer than you'd need the drive.

That information is true on older flash drives including newer cheap handheld USB drives. With the newer MLC NAND based SSD drives, manufacturers are rating these drives at 50GB read/write cycles per day for 140 years. So, in a single user environment I do not forsee any problems whatsoever.

In a server environment, I definitely see potential issues with current flash technology.

hey surf, hope you have more luck than me. I got the ARC-1220 to install on my Maximus Extreme. I am having trouble with the compatability between the X38 and areca card that so many people are having. I cannot get into the areca bios to build the array, it just reboots the system as soon as I tab/f6. I hope you do not run into the same issue..... I may have to scrap everything and just go back to 680i/p35 and Raptors in raid. So far with 3 Mtron pro drives and over $1000 in raid controllers I am yet to match the performance of my 3 x raptor 150 array. So going back will be no biggie for me. Just wanted to test all this stuff out (Mtron pro's)on a few diff. enthusist systems and run a bunch of bechies. Well we will see what Areca has to say.

hey surf, hope you have more luck than me. I got the ARC-1220 to install on my Maximus Extreme. I am having trouble with the compatability between the X38 and areca card that so many people are having. I cannot get into the areca bios to build the array, it just reboots the system as soon as I tab/f6. I hope you do not run into the same issue..... I may have to scrap everything and just go back to 680i/p35 and Raptors in raid. So far with 3 Mtron pro drives and over $1000 in raid controllers I am yet to match the performance of my 3 x raptor 150 array. So going back will be no biggie for me. Just wanted to test all this stuff out (Mtron pro's)on a few diff. enthusist systems and run a bunch of bechies. Well we will see what Areca has to say.

Thats strange. Dominick's MB chipset is an X38, so I am not exactly sure that is the issue.

I also have the Areca 1231ML card that should arrive this week, which is a little different than your 1220. I havent had any time with the controller card yet, so I really cant help you much here. Have you spoken with Dom yet on this? He has put together and pulled apart his X38 / Areca card and built different arrays quite a few times by now.

it may in fact be a issue with the 1220 and not the arcea card. we could even say that the mobo is having issue that a bios update might fix.

Nope, its a problem with the IOP333 processor that is on the 1220 and the 1230 coupled with the way the X38 deals with non-GPU hardware in the Grafix PCIe slots. the answer from areca is that they have not tested any of there hardware with these chipsets (P35,X38,X48).
The 1231ML uses the IOP341 processor so there may be no problems at all, plus Dom used the IOP333 processor in on the X38 chipset without issue. The Problem is not really understood as of yet. One thing is VERY CLEAR, there IS MAJOR problems with the Areca cards and latest Intel chipsets.
I will dig up the link on XS about this issue and post it up. You guys posting up your experiance with this combo (intell-Areca) can only help us all figure this out.

P.S. I have tried Bios Updates, different slots, one GPU, two GPU's. I cannot change the bios in the card as I cannot access the bios.

basicly in a way of what i was getting at JC, im not into the raid cards so i didnt know all the different names. made it harder for me to expand on what i meant...

BiTMICRO introduces 832GB SSD for CES 2008

edisk_altima_25ata_hirez.jpg

The folks at BiTMICRO are about to blow some doors off of the SSD truck with a new product they'll be showing at CES this year. According to a press release, the company is introducing a new, 2.5-inch solid-state drive with a whoppping 832GB of NAND flash goodness. The 3Gb SATA drive is a new addition to the company's E-Disk Altima line, and utilizes a technology the company calls multi-level cell (or MLC) memory, which apparently doubles the number of bits stored per memory cell when compared with single-level cell (SLC) NAND. The drives are expected to ship Q3 2008 in capacities ranging from 32GB to 832GB

to bad it's the slower MLC instead of the faster SLC

i wonder how much slower... i could see using that in a laptop, even if its slower, its still faster then the mechanical harddrives. maybe not in xfer rates but access time alone imo would make it worth having.

Back