• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(sss-Its not TCCD) Geil TCCD $162 after rebate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The way I see it you have at least three options at the moment, none of which require an RMA (which might be hard to do since the ram, to the best of my knowledge, is not guaranteed to be TCCD).

1) Keep the ram, go ahead and buy the Neo2 and a Booster (I have that setup and other than a tight fit on stick #2 and the Booster H/S it works fine) and use your AGP 6800GT and you'll have a very nice rig with that new Venice.

Or consider this...

2) Keep the ram, pass on the Neo and get the DFI NF4 Ultra D for about $140 which is a little more than the Neo, but not much more. Blow off the Booster as the DFI doesn't need it and then eBay (takes a 100 posts to use the Classifieds) the AGP 6800GT and replace it with a PCI-E card. In the end it will probably cost you a little more as the DFI costs more than the Neo2 and you'll loose a little on the AGP sale, but you will save on not having to buy the Booster. You will however end up with a better overclocking rig fully able to utilize the Geil or any other bh based ram.

As long as you haven't already ordered the Neo2 you can still make that switch. The DFI board just gives so many more options. It is a little harder to get dialed in but when you get there the performance is hard to beat. I've got a Neo2 and I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to also get the DFI. I've got someone that might be interested in my Neo and if I sell it, DFI here I come!

Last, but not least...

3) Of course, you could just sell the Geil on eBay and pick up some for-sure TCCD for the Neo2 and stick with your current card. You won't have to buy the Booster this way either.

Choices, choices, choices.

Heres some results from an Italian Geil user : http://forum.pctuner.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=50266&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=3

He was running it 250 (2.2.2.5) @ 3.4V... had it up to 272mhz 2.2.2.5 @ 3.8v I'm guessing he could keep the voltages down if he'd adjust to 2.3.3.5 timings. But I'll have to search some more...

Seems to me as its your typical BH-5 memory. I may have gone w/ a not so popular company, but that doesn't bother me since it's bh-5. Time to keep my credit card hot w/a psu/ocz ddr booster :)

Reefa_Madness said:
The way I see it you have at least three options at the moment, none of which require an RMA (which might be hard to do since the ram, to the best of my knowledge, is not guaranteed to be TCCD).

1) Keep the ram, go ahead and buy the Neo2 and a Booster (I have that setup and other than a tight fit on stick #2 and the Booster H/S it works fine) and use your AGP 6800GT and you'll have a very nice rig with that new Venice.

Or consider this...

2) Keep the ram, pass on the Neo and get the DFI NF4 Ultra D for about $140 which is a little more than the Neo, but not much more. Blow off the Booster as the DFI doesn't need it and then eBay (takes a 100 posts to use the Classifieds) the AGP 6800GT and replace it with a PCI-E card. In the end it will probably cost you a little more as the DFI costs more than the Neo2 and you'll loose a little on the AGP sale, but you will save on not having to buy the Booster. You will however end up with a better overclocking rig fully able to utilize the Geil or any other bh based ram.

As long as you haven't already ordered the Neo2 you can still make that switch. The DFI board just gives so many more options. It is a little harder to get dialed in but when you get there the performance is hard to beat. I've got a Neo2 and I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to also get the DFI. I've got someone that might be interested in my Neo and if I sell it, DFI here I come!

Last, but not least...

3) Of course, you could just sell the Geil on eBay and pick up some for-sure TCCD for the Neo2 and stick with your current card. You won't have to buy the Booster this way either.

Choices, choices, choices.

oy, my head is spinning :)
I'll take all of that into consideration. I bought my agp 6800gt refurbished for $320. So I'd have a hard time ethically selling that pup on ebay, that and I don't have a built up seller history w/my account. I'm actually leaning towards buying that ddr booster/msi mobo and running the rest of the life out of my 6800gt then upgrading my mobo/gfx card when the time is right.
Once again, thank you for the input! :)

Last edited:
Don't go out and buy that Booster yet.

Keep in mind that the last customer review, dated 04/16/05, reflects TCCD based ram. It is entirely possible that newegg still has the older stock with TCCD and this sale is designed to clean it out. As of Sunday 7:30 a.m. the egg's stock was down to 8 units. Based on the number of customer reviews (2) it may be that this items doesn't just fly out the door for them and the chances of TCCD are still pretty good.

We need to have someone post if they've recently bought this stuff and tell us what they got.

Reefa_Madness said:
Don't go out and buy that Booster yet.

Keep in mind that the last customer review, dated 04/16/05, reflects TCCD based ram. It is entirely possible that newegg still has the older stock with TCCD and this sale is designed to clean it out. As of Sunday 7:30 a.m. the egg's stock was down to 8 units. Based on the number of customer reviews (2) it may be that this items doesn't just fly out the door for them and the chances of TCCD are still pretty good.

We need to have someone post if they've recently bought this stuff and tell us what they got.
But it very well could be that that customer that left the review had gotten the RAM months before and finally just decided to post a review. I know I've had some hardware for almost a year before I posted a review...

gvblake22 said:
But it very well could be that that customer that left the review had gotten the RAM months before and finally just decided to post a review. I know I've had some hardware for almost a year before I posted a review...

You are right, there is no way of telling when he bought them, however, the one thing we can tell is that no one yet has reported that they bought them expecting TCCD and received UTT instead.

My point is to just wait until the sticks get here before going out and buying the Booster. With a visual of the edges of the ICs you can determine whether or not the easily recognizable metal bands of Winbond ICs are there or not. If they have what appears to be 2 metal points or dots about a third of the way in from the top and bottom edges then in all likelyhood, these are Samsung ICs (based on my naked G.Skills). The Winbond bands are closer to the upper and lower edges. It is easy to distinquish between the UTT and Samsung ICs from just the edges. These differences are visible even if the modules have heatspreaders (verified with OCZ-TCCD and KHX-BH5).

See the pics below to get a better idea as to what I mean. The red circled areas on the Samsung chips are where you will find the metal dots. You can see the metal bands on the Winbond chips (left side is easier to see).

Attachments

• Samsung_TCCD_edges.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 106
  • Winbond bh-5_0226.jpg
    Winbond bh-5_0226.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 95
I'll let you know what my twin brother got (he ordered the same stuff @ the same time, I rma'd mine last week because they didn't send me ultra x, but some 2-3-3-6 lat stuff). Once he arrives back home, he'll use your info you just posted and he'll reply with what it is... I'll do the same in 6 days. Thanks for all of your help :)

I got TCCD chips on my Geil memory. I'm tresmonos' twin brother... and I have a 6800gt (agp) as well. I'm basically in his same boat.

But yeah, the pin number is 0746, so I have TCCD chips on my Geil memory.

HOWEVER, mine was from an old batch at newegg. A batch before that rebate, so who knows if tresmonos will have the same luck as me.

Thanks for sharing that info.

So you guys are twins and have twin rigs, huh?

My sister has twins and those two guys go WAY out of their way to be different. Kinda cool that you guys don't.

By the way...we've got two Monkeys now, two more and we'll have enough for a "made for TV" rock (OK, that's just what they wanted us to believe) group! Wait a minute...with have tres plus one, we have enough!

Just messing with you guys...don't get mad at me, alright?

lol, its cool :) We might not be as identical pretty soon... I might have bh-5 when FedEx finally gets rollin'. Overall, the only thing we both do the same is spend money on our rigs. w/o him, I'd feel guilty for buying all this stuff, but him doing it makes it right :) That and it'll make for a nice competition of who can tweak their rig the best.

Man, I'm so grateful for this thread. I came very close to ordering those sticks. I have two sticks of older Buffalo BH-5 PC-3700s that will not run 200 Mhz 1:1 on my Neo2 Platinum at the max 2.85 Vdimm and I wanted something that would. For whatever reason, Buffalo programmed the SPD at PC2700 and MSI, in all their infinite wisdom, will not allow you to overide the SPD in choosing MaxMemClk in BIOS. That, having been said, running them at 9x300 2:3, they really rip butt. 3D Mark 2001 scores just over 25,000, so it's not like I'm hurting.

Hoot

What's sweet about upgrading with a twin brother, though, is what you can do with your old combined rigs. As rdram is expensive, we're just going to combine the memory into one rig and have a decent CSS server.

Glad you can get some benefit out of this thread, Hoot. Tresmonos will be the guinea pig on the new batch, pretty much.

Hoot said:
Man, I'm so grateful for this thread. I came very close to ordering those sticks. I have two sticks of older Buffalo BH-5 PC-3700s that will not run 200 Mhz 1:1 on my Neo2 Platinum at the max 2.85 Vdimm and I wanted something that would. For whatever reason, Buffalo programmed the SPD at PC2700 and MSI, in all their infinite wisdom, will not allow you to overide the SPD in choosing MaxMemClk in BIOS. That, having been said, running them at 9x300 2:3, they really rip butt. 3D Mark 2001 scores just over 25,000, so it's not like I'm hurting.

Hoot

A64 Tweaker is supposed to be able to allow you to run your DDR333 at 1:1 on the Neo2.

I've got the same board and will be giving that a shot soon 'cause I've got some KHX PC3000 that is supposed to have the same issue.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've avoided "realtime" tweakers out of fear of voltages going out of control or jizzing my bios flash. Perhaps that was early attempts at that kind of program and it's better now?

Hoot

fldrice said:
I remember someone over @ xtremesystems said their was a way to reprogram the SPD. You might want to look into that Hoot.

Alonso, the TwinMOS rep, posted that they have a software that can reprogram the SPD, but it requires that you have a "source" from which to copy from. For example, the KHX PC3000 would need to have the SPD copied from a KHX PC3200 module for best results. When asked if it was possible to get the software he said simply...NO! I'm sure every manufacturer has it as I've heard other reps make statements, when discussing RMA issues, that in cases the SPD is programmed wrong and they can correct it.

Alonso offered to do it (reprogram SPD) for some of the guys...however you have to ship the sticks you want reprogrammed, plus the source module, to Germany and then wait for him to do it and ship it back to you.

Probably easier and cheaper to buy new ram or just try the A64 Tweaker, which has been used by enough guys that there should be no need to worry with it. I've only started playing around so I'm not in a position to really say much except that it didn't cause me any harm.

Hey Monkey, any update on the ram yet? I've been eagerly awaiting confirmation of it being TCCD.

Back